• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual objects carried onto trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXMachina

I've also seen a concrete bird bath in Shropshire and the biggest CRT monitor in London on the Northern line.

Might know who you mean - a mate of mine moved a 24-inch Phillips VGA CRT from Old Street to Croxley via Northern & Met lines about 7 years ago. He said he came very close to abandoning it several times.

What is it about Merseyrail and dogs?

We travelled LSP to Southport last Saturday (58 min journey), during which 5 different dogs travelled just in our coach!

Advanced dog training ?.
I'll get my coat...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Old Joe did attempt to take Ruby, his pony, on a Cardiff to Holyhead train at Wrexham a couple of years ago. The pony also visited A & E at the Maelor Hospital at Wrexham and The Elihu Yale (Wetherspoons pub) in the town.
I do remember an acquaintance many years ago taking an enormous Christmas tree on his train at Chester to travel home to Wrexham. It also lifted a trilby hat (in those days) off a man's head.

Express Link

I suspect the only reason for the ban on paint would be due to the activities of those who like to paint their tags and otherwise decorate every surface they can find. Surely the normal person carrying a tub of white gloss home from B&Q would not have a problem.

Prairie_5542

I suspect the only reason for the ban on paint would be due to the activities of those who like to paint their tags and otherwise decorate every surface they can find. Surely the normal person carrying a tub of white gloss home from B&Q would not have a problem.

Before now I know of someone who was refused travel for carrying paint on the train.

I myself have stopped someone carrying a petrol can full of petrol from getting on the train.

Also some yobs tried to get their moped on the train, they were declined immediately!! And told ''on yer bike!''.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Carried a bargain pine coffee table (impulse buy) from West Hampstead to Haydon's Rd one day in the 80's.

Have seen , chicken wire coil , a canoe on the Watford DC , and a python in a basket. vone

12CSVT

Established Member
I took a shovel once got some odd looks.

Several of us once took about half a dozen shovels (along with about 20 bags of Kilfrost) onto a train. We were on snow clearing duties at some of the stations between Sutton and Wimbledon.

I've also carried a safe (bound for a station ticket office) onto the guard's compartment of an EPB unit.

TEW

Established Member
Saw somebody take a dining table on an Island Line train, it looked it a bit odd, only just fitted in the vestibule, they aren't exactly the biggest trains. Taken birds in a birdcage on board before, and on a bus afterwards.

biggus

I got thoroughly beasted by a train dispatcher at preston station for carrying a collapsed up projector screen along the platform on my shoulder. He said i was in danger of getting zapped by the OLE. Plausible? Or did he initially think i was a terrorist with a bazooka?

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
One Christmas, on the train north to Edinburgh, a woman at the table across the aisle had a rabbit in a pet carrier on the table.

That was odd, but odder was, after alighting at platform 8 or 9, on the way up the stairs I passed someone going down also carrying a rabbit in a pet carrier.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One of the best ones was a weekly hot beef pie sent by a now deceased railway "mother" to her railway employed son in Newtown on the Cambrian. "in charge of the guard" - son o collected it and took it home for reheating.

Unfortunately - temptation overtook the "guard in charge" - caused no end of unofficial grief.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I got some funny looks taking an ironing board from York to Newcastle and thence on the Metro to Percy Main

Michael.Y

Established Member
Double basses, cellos and guitars are the norm. A full set of skis once which laid out nicely on the overhead racks with all the bags on top. A music keyboard. Also, we had Welsh cycling champion Becky James on our train once with her competition bike. Needless to say we made sure it was well tethered, more than normal!

FGWman

Had a passenger who bought a petrol driven chainsaw onboard. You could smell the fumes as soon as you entered the carriage.

I found it before departure in a luggage rack. Swiftly removed to station duty manager followed by an announcement over the PA for the owner of a chain saw please to note it had been removed from the train :o

I also know of a train that was delayed waiting police attention as a passenger refused to remove a motor bike he had placed in the guards van !!

BrummyBoy

Not as good as some mentioned on here already but i have carried a 5ft tiger (not a real one) in a couple black bags with just the tail sticking out from Liverpool to Birmingham New Street. Also managed to take it on the bus home.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
I've seen a family of 6 take about 20 suitcases and a kitchen sink to boot on a LM 350

EM2

Established Member
I got thoroughly beasted by a train dispatcher at preston station for carrying a collapsed up projector screen along the platform on my shoulder. He said i was in danger of getting zapped by the OLE. Plausible? Or did he initially think i was a terrorist with a bazooka?
Definitely plausible. Contractors shouldn't even use metal ladders on platforms that are adjacent to OHLE.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Back in 2001/2002 I worked for Dixons in Kingston- A few times I was sent to the Waterloo branch to collect items of stock for customers. Luckily, this was usually just cameras or the occasional laptop, I'm not sure I'd have been too keen doing the same with a TV!

deltic1989

Established Member
Saw a couple of lads board a voyager (iirc) with a microwave and proceed to heat up a couple of Rustlers burgers in it.
Someone attempted to get a Canoe that must have been 15ft long on at the small cab end of a 153 at Market Rasen, he failed tried again at the large cab end, failed again and suffered a four letter rant from delayed passengers.
I had to take my cat on 2 buses and a train once, when we moved house, needless to say she was rather grumpy and nearly took the guard's hand off when she tried to stroke her.
Oh and there was the guy that delayed a train at Lowdham for half an hour a few years back when he "lost" his Tarantula :o

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd completely forgotten about this, but a few years ago I travelled Bridgwater to Taunton carrying two interior door panels; a parcel shelf; a front light-cluster; and a steering wheel for the Renault 5 I was restoring at the time! One of the only times I was pleased to see a 143 show up! Thankfully it was about 1pm so there was plenty of space for my items all held together with a length of old tow-rope!

broadgage

Just about possible if any part of your luggage was significantly above head height, and also sideways towards the track and OHLE.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I had a girl travel on my train once who plugged in a hairdryer and placed it on her table to use as a heater.

In Thailand I was on a train on which there was a motorbike in the Guards Van

Oliver

A few years ago my daughter made me help her load a chest of drawers on to a 365 at Cambridge. When she got to Kings Cross she fluttered her eyelids at a young man and he offered to help her carry it down the platform and load it into a taxi. Girls have all the luck....

LouJ

RULES FOR CARRYING PETS,DOGS,HORSES OTHER LIVE ANIMALS AND BIRDS RISK :

Under section 77-A of the Indian Railway Act, the liability of Railways as carriers of animals is limited as specified below, unless the sender elects to pay the percentage charge on value as shown in the Rule 1301: Per Head Elephants Rs.1500/- Horses Rs.750/- Mules, Camels or Horned Cattle Rs.200/- Donkeys, sheep, goats, dogs and other animals or birds Rs.30/-
The Railway will not be liable for the loss, destruction or damage arising from freight or restiveness of the animal or from overloading of vehicle or wagon by the consigner or his agent or delay not caused by the negligence or misconduct of their servants, irrespective of whether the sender has engaged to pay the percentage charge on value or not.
Railway will not be responsible for the loss, destruction, damage, deterioration or non_delivery of animals after the termination of transit as defined in Rule 153.

The above regulations from Indian Railways on the carriage of animals make interesting reading - Elephants and camels are included in the list!

Never seen an elephant on a train though saw one shunting in Southern India twenty years ago!

As for animals accompanying passengers the test is whether they are alive or not. Animal carcasses are not alllowed although I have seen goats and sheeps in passenger coaches.

terryc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13437279
:D
"A man has been captured on CCTV trying to board a train accompanied by a pony.

Shocked staff watched as the man tried to get on the train at Wrexham General station with the white pony in tow.

After a conductor refused him entry, the man returned to the ticket booth where he tried to buy two tickets - for himself and the animal."

Last edited:

Waldgrun

I once dealt a Wheelchair carrying motor-trike! This beast was like a landing craft, it had a ramp at the rear which allowed the owner to drive their large electric wheelchair on to it!
It was loaded at Waterloo by umpteen persons and it arrived where there were just two of us to unloaded it, (Local P.Way ended up helping out!
It should never have been carried, as it was a fully road legal petrol driven vehicle, and this was after the regulations had been tighten after Kings Cross. But the owner claimed it to be a wheelchair and threaten to go to the media claiming that B.R. was discriminating against disabled people so it was carried,completely filled the luggage cage on the 4 Vep it came down on (this was prior to the extra seating being fitted in part of the brake vehicle).

I took a firkin of beer (9 gallons) from St Austell to Nottingham via London (Taxi) in the early 70's.
I checked with the ticket office, and he asked if it was pressurised, and I replied no - proper St Austell Ale in a wooden cask!
He said no problem, and as i started to walk away, he said wait a minute, and he wrote out an official note and stampted it. :D

pitdiver

I use to be a Coach Station Manager for National Express. The number of times I had to refuse carriage of suitcases just because of the number of them. This is not a racist comment but the worst offenders seemed to be the people flying with Ghana or Nigerian Airlines. I think 16 for 2 passenger was the worse. Then on another service we had someone wanted to take on board a large TV sorry in the hold only! Passenger or TV didn't travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.