• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual objects carried onto trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrd

Established Member
Saturday evening, I had a couple with four boxes of Gerbils on their way home from some sort of show. They took 10 with them and came back with about 15!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Saturday evening, I had a couple with four boxes of Gerbils on their way home from some sort of show. They took 10 with them and came back with about 15!

That would be illegal on, for example, Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner.

LCC106

Established Member
I'm sure I've been told about a wheelbarrow of bricks that someone tried to get on one of our trains with.

On a separate note, my Grandpa used to be a health inspector and regularly supplied the local school with jars of bulls' eyes. A bus conductress nearly fell down the stairs when my Dad asked for a ticket for him and his friends and produced a jar with all eyeballs pointing towards her!

TheEdge

Established Member
Apparently someone once tried to move house from Colchester to Ipswich (or similar) by train.

Wyvern

Established Member
Somebody did once move a complete farm, apart from the buildings, by train.

Last edited:

Gemz91

Had a passnger with a snake in a box once (only realised when they were getting off), a passenger regulary gets on with her turtle in a cat box. Also had a lad with a small tank with two bearded dragons in with a complete set up.

Welshman

Established Member
Somebody did once move a complete farm, apart from the buildings, by train.

Apparently it also used to be common for whole circusses [circii?] - animals included - to move from town to town by train - usually on Sunday mornings.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Bertram Mills Circus used to own their own train which BR operated, of course. I racall seeing elephants walking through the (trunk to tail of the one in front) from the unloading siding to the circus site.

Wyvern

Established Member
Had a passnger with a snake in a box once (only realised when they were getting off), a passenger regulary gets on with her turtle in a cat box. Also had a lad with a small tank with two bearded dragons in with a complete set up.

Snakes on a Train?

<gets coat>

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
At one time microwaves would have been on the list but with the cheap mass production of them and lack of catering facilities on LM their presence is becoming passe among the daring do of rail travellers.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Getting this down the stairs at LET was fun:
0805Rff.jpeg

Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
Ah, you bugger :D

Did you have a guy helping you or did you manage to carry it on your own?

Trog

Established Member
Apparently it also used to be common for whole circusses [circii?] - animals included - to move from town to town by train - usually on Sunday mornings.

I seem to remember being told that Kensington Olympia station, was the only station in the UK with a dedicated elephant dock.

pras

I used to work in Munich, Germany

I used to come "home" (UK, for me) for Christmas but not all of the ex-pat community did. I got told this tale when I got back after New Year.

A group of mostly English speakers decided to have a traditional UK/Ireland Christmas dinner on Christmas day. The centrepiece was to be a Turkey with all the trimmings. They had a suitable venue with an oven but none of them had access to a car.

Things did not quite go to plan I gather:

On Christmas eve they collected the turkey from a butcher's and conveyed it to the venue by U-Bahn (Munich's Underground).

They prepared the turkey and stuffing etc., put it in the oven. The oven did not work!

One of the group said they could use the oven at their place. The oven-ready turkey-with-trimmings is covered in foil and taken on the U-Bahn to said individual's digs. The turkey would not fit in the oven!

Another of the group said that it would fit in the oven at their place. Another U-Bahn ride for the turkey. This time everything worked to plan except that the turkey took ages to cook.

It is now Christmas day. They take the hot, freshly roasted turkey on the U-Bahn back to the venue where it is belatedly enjoyed by all.

I think some of the journeys involved changing U-Bahn lines at different levels and so-on.

I can just imagine the Muncheners on the U-Bahn thinking "These foreigners are crazy" :roll:

Good times :lol:

Surely there must've been another one unless these poor elephants were loaded at Kensington Olympia, taken around the country on trains, then unloaded again at Kensington Olympia :) <D

*gets coat*

If I recall correctly this was because for years through the Forties to Sixties Bertram Mills Circus was resident at Olympia over Christmas and had winter quarters near Ascot where the animals and paraphernalia were unloaded, I believe in Ascot East Yard, from where the Elephants were walked to their quarters other exotic animals going in cages by road.

deltic1989

Established Member
I used to work in Munich, Germany

I used to come "home" (UK, for me) for Christmas but not all of the ex-pat community did. I got told this tale when I got back after New Year.

A group of mostly English speakers decided to have a traditional UK/Ireland Christmas dinner on Christmas day. The centrepiece was to be a Turkey with all the trimmings. They had a suitable venue with an oven but none of them had access to a car.

Things did not quite go to plan I gather:

On Christmas eve they collected the turkey from a butcher's and conveyed it to the venue by U-Bahn (Munich's Underground).

They prepared the turkey and stuffing etc., put it in the oven. The oven did not work!

One of the group said they could use the oven at their place. The oven-ready turkey-with-trimmings is covered in foil and taken on the U-Bahn to said individual's digs. The turkey would not fit in the oven!

Another of the group said that it would fit in the oven at their place. Another U-Bahn ride for the turkey. This time everything worked to plan except that the turkey took ages to cook.

It is now Christmas day. They take the hot, freshly roasted turkey on the U-Bahn back to the venue where it is belatedly enjoyed by all.

I think some of the journeys involved changing U-Bahn lines at different levels and so-on.

I can just imagine the Muncheners on the U-Bahn thinking "These foreigners are crazy" :roll:

Good times :lol:

Maybe the locals thought it was some kind of British Christmas tradition. The Turkey U-bahn challenge.

12CSVT

Established Member
"How quickly can you take this cooked turkey to every Zone 1 London Underground station?" I can see a challenge coming on!

Please don't. It's bad enough when people take smelly curry and kebabs onto the underground late at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.