• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual TL route reversing at Lewes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaZzAtAzEr

Can't figure out how this would be logical as the train would have to stop on running line to reverse? Been a whole since I've been to Lewes but pretty sure two different lines don't mix at the station Screenshot_20210906-123243_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That does appear to be a shunt so yes would probably be on the running line. Was this yesterday? I imagine there was some form of engineering works going on past Lewes towards Eastbourne / Bexhill direction.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yep, Lewes signal LW58 is beyond the junction, on the Down line towards Eastbourne. There's a trailing crossover beyond the junction to allow trains to cross back to the Up Side. It was a GPL until quite recently when it was replaced with a main aspect signal to allow the move to take place without special authority.

The movement itself is not particularly unusual, although not done in normal running, normally only used if the line via Hassocks is closed.

Fincra5

Established Member
It is a route refreshing train for drivers, as we can no longer travel in other train cabs.
What @westcoaster said. Usually you'd get TL driver refreshing in a SN Cab, however the restrictions are still preventing this for now. So an ECS Move is the best way to retain Drivers Competency on the Diversionary Route via Lewes.

alangla

I did this move on a Saturday morning about 2 years ago. Engineering work somewhere between Haywards Heath and Brighton as part of the big upgrade on the Brighton main line, so GatEx & Thameslink services cancelled and 12 car Southern formations running via Lewes (doors opened, but wasn’t an advertised call), a shunt to the east of the station, reverse and another call at Lewes on the opposite side of the station. Not sure if the driver changed ends east of Lewes or if another driver boarded at the back. I think it might have been a second driver that drove from the reversal point to Brighton.

pdeaves

Established Member
Just as a matter of interest, whilst unusual, reversing in public service not at a platform is not unique. Many trains affected by the recent Bristol works reversed at Feeder Bridge Junction/North Somerset Junction and Weymouth-Bristol trains have been known to avoid Westbury and reverse at Heywood Road Junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.