• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

swadbus

morning folks,

using my 14 day ALR, how much is it each way to upgrade to first class from Euston to Manchester at a weekend? Their website says 'up to £15' (implying it may be less - but i expect it won't be!) but doesn't actually say how much it is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The ALR is not one of the tickets which can be upgraded, if memory serves me right. (Someone will no doubt check FRPP or Avantix for you!)

However, if you ask nicely, I don't see why a TM wouldn't want the commission...

barrykas

Established Member
morning folks,

using my 14 day ALR, how much is it each way to upgrade to first class from Euston to Manchester at a weekend? Their website says 'up to £15' (implying it may be less - but i expect it won't be!) but doesn't actually say how much it is.
The upgrade is £15 Adult, £5 Child, and can be bought in advance (though you need to obtain a reservation if you do that, but you're not restricted to the booked train) or on board.

HTH,

Barry

swadbus

The upgrade is £15 Adult, £5 Child, and can be bought in advance (though you need to obtain a reservation if you do that, but you're not restricted to the booked train) or on board.

HTH,

Barry

Thanks Barry.

I think it's a little misleading to say 'up to £15' on the website when it is actually £15 regardless of the journey taken! :-/

All Line Rover

Established Member
Avantix Traveller:

TICKET TYPES that can be
upgraded prior to travel:
Anytime Day, Off-Peak,
Off-Peak Day, Super Off-Peak,
One Day Travelcard. All other
ticket types can be upgraded
on-board subject to
availability.

So you are fully entitled to upgrade an All Line Rover on-board for £15.

If you want access to the lounge at Euston, you would have to purchase the upgrade at the ticket office - they may, or may not sell it to you (as they don't have to). I doubt many staff will know what to do, though, so they will probably sell it! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks Barry.

I think it's a little misleading to say 'up to £15' on the website when it is actually £15 regardless of the journey taken! :-/

It's £10 on the Euston-Birmingham-Wolverhampton route.
The ALR is not one of the tickets which can be upgraded, if memory serves me right. (Someone will no doubt check FRPP or Avantix for you!)

Incorrect... ;)
The upgrade is £15 Adult, £5 Child, and can be bought in advance (though you need to obtain a reservation if you do that, but you're not restricted to the booked train)

Again incorrect... ;) You don't need a reservation with Anytime or Off-Peak tickets - upgrades are valid on any train.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Again incorrect... ;) You don't need a reservation with Anytime or Off-Peak tickets - upgrades are valid on any train.

When issued in advance, a reservation must be made for the Weekend First Upgrade. If the passenger misses the train they may use a later Virgin Trains service but are not guaranteed a seat.

Passengers using Anytime single/return tickets on the weekend (or bank holiday) do not need the upgrade.

All Line Rover

Established Member
When issued in advance, a reservation must be made for the Weekend First Upgrade. If the passenger misses the train they may use a later Virgin Trains service but are not guaranteed a seat.

Passengers using Anytime single/return tickets on the weekend (or bank holiday) do not need the upgrade.

Where is this mentioned? I have never been asked for a reservation when upgrading an Off-Peak ticket. Virgin Weekend Upgrades are not tied to a specific service.

tony_mac

Established Member

A while ago somebody here asked a guard for a free weekend first upgrade with an ALR and was given it without any problem, so I imagine that it is worth asking. (Although, at the time, an ALR was actually valid at any time).

All Line Rover

Established Member

A while ago somebody here asked a guard for a free weekend first upgrade with an ALR and was given it without any problem, so I imagine that it is worth asking. (Although, at the time, an ALR was actually valid at any time).

An All Line Rover is not an Anytime ticket. It does not qualify for a free upgrade.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Agreed, but I tried the same in February 2010 and the TM let me and my friend upgrade for free.
No harm in asking. If you're not in a rush and get told no, try the next one!

Of course, there is absolutely no harm in asking! :) Just don't expect one. ;)
FRPP ("The Manual") >> First Class >> Virgin Trains First Class Upgrades.

I have two points to make.

a. That information is not found in the public domain, so I doubt it could be enforced.

b. No Virgin staff enforce such a restriction anyway.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
a) It is an instruction to staff to issue a reservation with an upgrade, why would the general public need to know that?

b) Whilst it is possible to admit that it may not be adhered to fully by ticket office staff, I doubt you can honestly claim that NO Virgin Trains staff adhere to it. (btw, who said anything about a restriction?)

All Line Rover

Established Member
a) It is an instruction to staff to issue a reservation with an upgrade, why would the general public need to know that?

b) Whilst it is possible to admit that it may not be adhered to fully by ticket office staff, I doubt you can honestly claim that NO Virgin Trains staff adhere to it. (btw, who said anything about a restriction?)

Crewe, London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly don't do it. The latter two are some major Virgin ticket offices. London Euston aren't just lax about this particular issue but I'm not going to say any more about that. ;)

It seems a pointless thing to do, which is why nobody does it!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
To be honest, I don't know why you would pre-book a first class upgrade and not get a reservation!

All Line Rover

Established Member
To be honest, I don't know why you would pre-book a first class upgrade and not get a reservation!

Because you want to use the First Class lounge but don't know which train to catch? Or because it's only 15 minutes before departure so a reservation can't be made anyway?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If it's only 15 minutes to departure, it's hardly pre-booking (I'd wait 'til I boarded and buy it then rather than faff about with the first class lounge if that is all the time there was, but I'm not everybody)

All Line Rover

Established Member
If it's only 15 minutes to departure, it's hardly pre-booking (I'd wait 'til I boarded and buy it then rather than faff about with the first class lounge if that is all the time there was, but I'm not everybody)

Isn't it up until 2 hours before departure? Many people wish to use the First Class lounge if they have a 2 hour wait! :)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Which begs the question, if you haven't bought the upgrade and have two hours to kill, why would you wait two hours to travel?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I just don't buy that frankly, it doesn't make sense to me, any right minded person who was meeting someone would already know when they are travelling, why turn up two hours early?

Infact, why you not have pre-planned the trip?

tony_mac

Established Member
is this just being argumentative for the sake of it?

I am sure anyway with a reasonable amount of imagination can envisage a possible situation where you might have to wait at a station for a long enough period to make a visit to the first class lounge worthwhile without having booked in advance.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I just don't buy that frankly, it doesn't make sense to me, any right minded person who was meeting someone would already know when they are travelling, why turn up two hours early?

Infact, why you not have pre-planned the trip?

All I'm saying is that no member of Virgin staff has ever asked to see a reservation, or given me a reservation, when selling a Weekend Upgrade. The upgrade is not tied to a specific train, so issuing a reservation would be pointless. I have absolutely no idea why The Manual says that staff should do so!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Apparently I have no imagination. :(

Mind you, I don't see the point in first class lounges, I go to the railway station to catch a train which means I get there in time for the train I intend to catch.
All I'm saying is that no member of Virgin staff has ever asked to see a reservation, or given me a reservation, when selling a Weekend Upgrade. The upgrade is not tied to a specific train, so issuing a reservation would be pointless. I have absolutely no idea why The Manual says that staff should do so!

Not pointless really. I'd be happy to be given a reservation. Infact, I'd probably insist on one!

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Here's a few to help your imagination....

you get to the station when the public transport gets you there.
or traffic was heavy and you missed a train.
you are in another city and have finished what you were doing and would rather wait in a first-class lounge than stand on the street.
a train is delayed or cancelled.
you got the time wrong.
you didn't memorise the timetable and simply turned up at the station for the next train.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
For a Virgin train in First Class at the weekend? That would definitely be pointless! :lol:

Why? Guaranteed seat with compensation if Virgin can't provide it and no extra cost, no brainer if you ask me.

....you get to the station when the public transport gets you there....

If you've left more than half an hour spare for "delays" I personally think you haven't planned things very well! (granted public transport connections in some rural areas aren't always very good, but then, in those areas, are you likely to get first class lounges?)

....or traffic was heavy and you missed a train....

If you missed a train surely you'd just want to get going? I can't think of many Virgin Trains routes where there is a less than an hourly service or connecting service (Birmingham-Edinburgh?) and less where there isn't another option.

....you are in another city and have finished what you were doing and would rather wait in a first-class lounge than stand on the street....

If both things you had to do in different cities were time dependent....maybe, but i'd still get moving and kill time at the other end of the journey.

....a train is delayed or cancelled....

I'd rather get moving to minimise the risk of further delays.

....you got the time wrong....

Really?...well okay, but again I'd rather get moving than stand around.

....you didn't memorise the timetable and simply turned up at the station for the next train....

Then surely you'd get on the next train?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think you'd be unlucky to just miss one (or just really dis-organised or stupid). I think you'd be silly not to have a good idea of when they are due for a long journey (it's called planning and it's quite useful!) and you have more ways to check the timetables with little or no warning these days than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.