• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Urgent help needed with Avanti seat selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Under VTWC it was possible to book a specific seat number through their website but on Avanti I only see generic options e.g. plug socket, aisle side etc. I can't see the table/airline choice either

Have Avanti removed the specific choice feature? If so, what options should I select for a Pendolino service for the maximum chance of a window side seat in airline configuration with a decent view out?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Avanti removed this feature when they took over the franchise as they felt it wasn't needed. There was a large customer backlash and they have said they will reintroduce the seat selector later in the year (although they said that pre-covid)

In the meantime Trainscanbecheaper and Trainsplit both have a seat selector.

Trackman

Established Member
From what I have been reading your best bet is to take to twitter and ask for a DM - especially if it's urgent, otherwise spend hours on the phone trying to reach customer services.
Covid 19 seating plan is here.

py_megapixel

Established Member
From what I have been reading your best bet is to take to twitter and ask for a DM - especially if it's urgent, otherwise spend hours on the phone trying to reach customer services.
Covid 19 seating plan is here.
Very handy link, thanks. Do I understand from that correctly that if you get a table seat you're guaranteed the whole table to yourself?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only websites that allow seat selection, that I know of, are: LNER (for their own services only), XC (not currently, but for their own services under normal circumstances) and Trainsplit/TCBC (for all applicable services).

Virgin used to allow it, but Avanti don't. This was a business decision taken by FirstGroup, but of course anyone can easily use Trainsplit/TCBC anyway to get around that limitation.
Very handy link, thanks. Do I understand from that correctly that if you get a table seat you're guaranteed the whole table to yourself?
It may be best to leave these seats available for families, as there are relatively few tables on Pendolinos.

I don't think you could guarantee having no-one else sat at the table in practise; Government guidelines clearly do allow for it, as it happens on LNER.

It's clearly not tenable for Avanti to operate at an unnecessarily reduced capacity for much longer. LNER really are leading the way here and over time trains are getting busier. The future of rail travel being viable depends on companies such as Avanti and XC adopting the same model as LNER (and, soon after, allowing all seats to be available, as done in many other countries).

So I'd expect to see a change in this area on Avanti shortly.

Leisurefirst

Booked my first long distance journey since Covid today, Glasgow Central to Euston for two in Standard.
Initially found reserving the seats a wee bit confusing but realized that the seat map only showed one of each of the four table seats.
Therefore had to book one table seat and a seat behind/in front.
Can I rest assured that when we reach the train the fact that we have one of the table seats reserved means that no-one should occupy any of the other three due to social distancing?
I don't particularly want to have to ask anyone to leave...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd say both of you can occupy the same table and you would then leave the other seat free.

Note that social distancing cannot be guaranteed on public transport; indeed this is precisely the rationale for the mandating of face coverings:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dis...wers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks
for areas of widespread transmission, with limited capacity for implementing control measures and especially in settings where physical distancing of at least 1 metre is not possible – such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments – WHO advises governments to encourage the general public to use non-medical fabric masks.

While some train companies, such as LNER and Avanti, do go for a "belt and braces" approach of attempting to 'enforce' social distancing in addition to the mandating of face coverings, this is totally unsustainable and is not generally practised elsewhere, and even then cannot be guaranteed.

Making reservations "compulsory" does not guarantee it, as you never know when someone may have their train cancelled or may miss a connection:
Tried to help a few people out at Leeds this morning as their train to KGX (05:05) had been removed from the timetable, but there were no reservations available on the next one. Guard wasn’t happy about them getting on the 06:05. Felt sorry for one of them as he was going all the way to Brussels.

Status
Not open for further replies.