• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using a phone while driving on a miniature railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum - I don't often post here

Recently I was walking my dog (and wife) around a fairly local park with a miniature railway. As we were walking along a path above the railway I noticed that the driver of the train was rather distracted by his mobile phone screen.

I'm interested in peoples opinions on whether this is considered acceptable or not.

The tedium of the job of driver must be great, the train's speed is very slow, and there is no signalling to watch out for; but there could be young children running about.

Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
I would not expect that, if I'm driving my phone stays away or if using it as a camera, I get a colleague to hold it. Certainly never out when passengers involved.

thejuggler

There is no excuse for it.

If the park is Council owned send an e-mail to their head of parks bringing the matter to their attention.

Merthyr Imp

You'd think they'd have radios or something surely?

Well, if it's only a miniature railway in a local park might it be simpler just to use mobile phones which people are likely to already have than go to the trouble and expense of issuing radios?

Or it may have been a one-off thing rather than part of regular signalling/operating procedures.

Just trying to point out it's at least conceivable use of the phone may not have been for frivolous reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.