• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using a Walton-on-Thames ticket to go to Shepperton

Status
Not open for further replies.

abn444

I looked earlier at coming back from Bristol this weekend only to find that there is large amount of engineering work this coming weekend in the SWT area.
I was wondering if I would be able to use a via London return ticket to Walton-on-Thames (coming back when there isn't all this work) to go to Shepperton, where there are trains running, and get a lift from there to avoid the awful replacement buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
According to the Routeing Guide and NRE Journey planner, Bristol to Walton on Thames is NOT valid via Shepperton, but then I'd be surprised if anything other than Shepperton is valid via Shepperton, being that it is at the end of a branch line!

Your other hope would be that the two are Interavailable origins and destinations. They are not.

So what is to be done?

Well one solution would be to find the nearest common stations to where your ticket is valid and then purchase a separate ticket to allow onward travel to Shepperton. This would appear to be New Malden if going via London. Please note that if you use this as your splitting point the train must stop at New Malden. An off peak day single from New Malden costs £5.90, assuming you are an adult with no railcards.

EDIT: I've just realised New Malden is also being bustituted... back to the drawing board!

FURTHER EDIT: Clapham Junction appears to be the closest to Shepperton you can get going via London on a ticket from Bristol to Walton on Thames, whilst avoiding rail replacement buses. It's £7.60 for a single, again assuming you are an adult with no railcards. Advice about the train needing to stop there still applies.

A better option might be to avoid London. It is worth noting that there are no 'via London' tickets and the only return tickets valid from Bristol to Walton on Thames via London are '+Any Permitted'. You would be permitted to avoid London and take another permitted route, which may get you closer. Can you confirm to me exactly what sort of ticket you hold? I was thinking something along the lines of going via Kingston, not via London, and buying a single from Kingston to Shepperton.... though the complexity of the routeing guide combined with the time of night and the diversions (particularly as they involve a doubleback) is making my head hurt a little! May have to leave this to others for now!

Last edited:

NSEFAN

Established Member
abn444 said:
I looked earlier at coming back from Bristol this weekend only to find that there is large amount of engineering work this coming weekend in the SWT area.
I was wondering if I would be able to use a via London return ticket to Walton-on-Thames (coming back when there isn't all this work) to go to Shepperton, where there are trains running, and get a lift from there to avoid the awful replacement buses.
I suppose if you used a Shepperton - Bristol ticket, you could start short on the way out from Walton-on-Thames if you went via Salisbury? It looks that Shepperton and Walton-on-Thames to Bristol Temple Meads are actually the same price, too.

Have you already purchased your ticket? What route were you planning to take?

hassaanhc

Established Member
According to the Routeing Guide and NRE Journey planner, Bristol to Walton on Thames is NOT valid via Shepperton, but then I'd be surprised if anything other than Shepperton is valid via Shepperton, being that it is at the end of a branch line!

Your other hope would be that the two are Interavailable origins and destinations. They are not.

So what is to be done?

Well one solution would be to find the nearest common stations to where your ticket is valid and then purchase a separate ticket to allow onward travel to Shepperton. This would appear to be New Malden if going via London. Please note that if you use this as your splitting point the train must stop at New Malden. An off peak day single from New Malden costs £5.90, assuming you are an adult with no railcards.

EDIT: I've just realised New Malden is also being bustituted... back to the drawing board!

FURTHER EDIT: Clapham Junction appears to be the closest to Shepperton you can get going via London on a ticket from Bristol to Walton on Thames, whilst avoiding rail replacement buses. It's £7.60 for a single, again assuming you are an adult with no railcards. Advice about the train needing to stop there still applies.

A better option might be to avoid London. It is worth noting that there are no 'via London' tickets and the only return tickets valid from Bristol to Walton on Thames via London are '+Any Permitted'. You would be permitted to avoid London and take another permitted route, which may get you closer. Can you confirm to me exactly what sort of ticket you hold? I was thinking something along the lines of going via Kingston, not via London, and buying a single from Kingston to Shepperton.... though the complexity of the routeing guide combined with the time of night and the diversions (particularly as they involve a doubleback) is making my head hurt a little! May have to leave this to others for now!
Shortest route appears to be via Reading, Virginia Water and Weybridge (or Byfleet & New Haw on Sundays). However, there are buses between Virginia Water and Weybridge on Saturday, while on Sunday that service is running but there are buses between Reading and Ascot!

If a Bristol to Walton on Thames ticket has already been brought, then travelling to Shepperton then a ticket would be needed from Twickenham, as Bristol to Walton on Thames is valid via Twickenham. On Sunday it is also possible to use a train to Byfleet & New Haw which would require no additional ticket.

abn444

I was just wondering if I would be able to go to Shepperton instead of Walton with a Walton ticket, especially since when I looked they appeared to be the same price (£42 I think, going via London with my 16-25 railcard). However if it's not valid then I'll probably get my normal via Reading ticket and go via Reading and Basingstoke and then get one of the altered trains from Basingstoke to Byfleet and New Haw and get a lift from there. I can't really see that as being a problem as it would be like getting off a train early and even if I was to get the bus, that would still involve leaving a station earlier than my destination in order to get the bus. Also to others that have asked, I don't have my tickets yet, if I didn't make that clear.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
You can always try emailing SWT and asking them if they will allow it, the worst they can say is no.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is nothing to lose by emailing and/or tweeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.