• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using different stations to start a journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishter

I have a booked ticket from Southampton Central to Manchester Airport (Advance Single); and a matching return journey (also Advance Single).

I have a preference to start my journey from Southampton Airport on the outward leg, and from Manchester Piccadilly on the return.

Are either of these options permissible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Strictly speaking, no. In reality if you seek out the guard before boarding he may well allow you to start short, but I cannot offer any guarantee.

bradders1983

How long does it take to get from Southampton Central to the Airport?

He could just get on anyway, chances are the guard may have not got round to checking all the tickets anyway?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
He could do that, it may not be noticed, but if it is noticed, it is technically not allowed under the T&C's and there is an admittedly small chance that the ticket will be deemed invalid.

The individual should be made aware of the risks and then they can make a considered judgment for themselves.

I would personally travel to Central to abide by the rules of the ticket.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Starting/stopping short on advance tickets is a contravention of their terms and conditions. Next time, you should book between the stations you intend to travel between

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Indeed. The correct answer to the question asked:

'Are either of these options permissible?'

is no.

Chapeltom

Established Member
There are *some* ticket checks at Piccadilly and it *may* get noticed.

It wouldn't matter even if he/sbe did pass a ticket inspection, as he/she would be arriving on platforms 1-9, as they would the have to pass another ticket inspection to access the other platforms. A lot of MIA trains leave from P13. It would be VERY easy in my opinion to get away with at the Manchester Picc end BUT I am NOT endorsing breaking the t+cs of the ticket.

Howardh

Established Member
If you arrive @ Piccadilly en route to Manchester Airport, and have to change platforms, you can do so without going through barriers/check (I think - anyone??) unless you need to go to 13/14. However, if the change requires a long wait, are you entitled to go onto the concourse through the checks to buy food and drink (toilet??). If not, why not??

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...However, if the change requires a long wait, are you entitled to go onto the concourse through the checks to buy food and drink (toilet??).

Yes you can. The basic definition of 'breaking a journey' allows for using station facilities.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I may be wrong, but I believe that Southampton Airport Parkway is barrieredI was wrong. This means you won't be able to get on to the platform in the first place. As a young couple at Eastleigh found out, SWT barrier staff tend to enforce this.

Last edited:

fishter

Thanks for all the comments.

Starting short outward looks like a non-starter - it would have been slightly more convenient, but not by much (it's only a 7 min rail journey). (Just been reminded about barriers at SOA, so definitely non-starter! Thanks Arctic Troll)

Return leg - am I not entitled to "break my journey" and hence have a valid excuse to enter at MAN having "broken my journey" for a few minutes? I think the change time is about 14 minutes. I have separate tickets for the MIA-MAN and MAN-SOU legs although it was bought as a MIA-SOU Advance Single.

And finally - yes, next time I'll buy the tickets from the right stations. But having to explain to the boss why I'm buying singles instead of a return is already bad enough without explaining why they are for different stations in each direction. Americans simply don't understand British railways (in general!) :roll:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is up to you what you do, but starting short is not permitted on Advance tickets.

If you do have a separate Advance ticket, as opposed to seat reservation coupons, I cannot see how anyone would know that you are starting short, but I have never seen an Advance issued on two tickets myself.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are not allowed to start/finish short, or to break your journey (exiting the station except under circumsances described in the NRCoC) on Advance tickets.

You are permitted to use station facilities within the station (e.g. at Manchester there's a pub on the balcony, at Leeds there's a Wetherspoons!)

I agree many people find UK rail ticketing rules complicated, especially people from abroad.

You may find our Fares Guide useful, in particular the section on Break of Journey.

(By the way you asked if it was permitted, not if it was possible to get away with it, to which an answer is best not provided!)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Do you actually have seperate tickets for the return journey, or do you have one ticket with 2 reservation coupons (which counts as one ticket)?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I have never seen an Advance issued on two tickets myself.

I'm assuming the OP means the ticket plus two reservation coupons (so three bits of orange cardboard in total).

fishter said:
Return leg - am I not entitled to "break my journey"

On an advance ticket, you are not permitted to break your journey. You are entitled to use the station facilities at an interchange station, even if this involves going through a (human or mechanical) barrier. At Manchester Piccadilly, almost all the station facilities are on the station concourse, which is beyond where they normally set up the (human) barrier at the end of the platform.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I may be wrong, but I believe that Southampton Airport Parkway is barriered.

No - there are no ticket barriers. There are four open entrances onto the platforms (two each side) as well as the route through the main building.

You may have seen a sort of barrier at the airport side in passing but it is only an 'airport luggage trolley' obstacle.

fishter

The tickets are at home, so I'll have to look and see exactly what bits of paper I have.

Thanks again, forewarned is forearmed.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I may be wrong, but I believe that Southampton Airport Parkway is barriered. This means you won't be able to get on to the platform in the first place. As a young couple at Eastleigh found out, SWT barrier staff tend to enforce this.

Is it barriered now? It was unbarriered the last time I was there.

FenMan

Established Member
I may be wrong, but I believe that Southampton Airport Parkway is barriered. This means you won't be able to get on to the platform in the first place. As a young couple at Eastleigh found out, SWT barrier staff tend to enforce this.

I was last at Airport Parkway a couple of months ago and there were no barriers on the Down platform (airport side). Indeed I don't know how this exit could be barriered as there is no building to house them.

fishter

My tickets are indeed one ticket and two reservation coupons.

Thanks for all the contents and advice.

fireftrm

I may be wrong, but I believe that Southampton Airport Parkway is barrieredI was wrong. This means you won't be able to get on to the platform in the first place. As a young couple at Eastleigh found out, SWT barrier staff tend to enforce this.

Southampton Parkway (Airport) is not barriered and you can walk onto the platforms, on either side, simply from the roadside. Not even a building to walk through, unless you chose to do so. There is insufficient time for a ticket check between Central and Parkway..........
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Strictly speaking, no. In reality if you seek out the guard before boarding he may well allow you to start short, but I cannot offer any guarantee.
Perhaps not the best thought out advice? If the guard says no, then it is too late! The train has already left the station shown on the ticket and as the ticket is an advance you cannot travel on another. So if you wait on the next station, as here, ask the guard if you can get on and they reply no, then you have lost out completely.

The only way to follow this advice and succeed, would be to go to the originating station, ask the guard if they will allow you to join at the next one. If they say yes then get on the train, travel to the next station, get off, then get on again. If they say no, then get on the train there and stay on it at the next station.

Good idea bb21, but flawed! :roll:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Good idea bb21, but flawed! :roll:

There is no need to roll your eyes.

Although I cannot guarantee anything, I have never been refused by any guard when seeking permission to board short so it is a risk I am normally willing to take. The same goes with the OP, as long as he is willing to accept the consequences should the guard turn around and say no. He can decide for himself what he wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.