Using staff passes on other toc`s

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by westbrom, 5 Dec 2019.

1. westbrom

westbrom Member

I know unofficially that most the time if you ask nicely it is allowed but officially does anybody think this will ever change as in most locations staff from various toc`s use each others trains .

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Aictos

Aictos Established Member

Honestly? While official company policy might change from TOC to TOC, day to day staff I doubt much will change.

4. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

Many TOCs already have official agreements with each other in areas of common operation. Probably valid only for 'on duty' travel.

5. RBSN

RBSN Member

I’ve been around the country showing my ToC card, just asking nicely and having a chat.

Been refused once by a grumpy Virgin guard.

6. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I’ve never been refused or told I need to buy a ticket. I’ll always approach the Guard out of courtesy of course. The most accommodating I find are CrossCountry, who usually tell me to make myself comfortable in First Class and get me a brew ;)

7. Dave19801980

Dave19801980 Member

Nice to hear that. There will always be an exception to the general rule. I know i’d not have any issues with it if I met someone that works in the same industry as me.

8. Cumbria

Cumbria Member

Your find there is always one somewhere .. I know of 1 at a Scot rail .. 1 at northern , 1 at east coast that would charge u anything to make a penny .. there is always 1 somewhere ...

never assume they will let you ..

18 years ago before I started in the railway I had passed with Thames trains at the time through a family member ... I used it for school on Thames trains and the guard took it off me... even though my family member was friends with this person .

so to sum it up be careful.

9. Sir Topham Hat

Sir Topham Hat Member

I had a grumpy XC guard who told me I’d have to pay last week from Brum to Manchester even though I approached him on the platform in advance and asked very nicely...

10. Undiscovered

Undiscovered Member

I had a long conversation about this with a colleague.
    I'm newish to the industry, so I've always bought my priv tickets. Sometimes, the guard has said I should've had a word and travelled free. My reply/curiosity is how I get out the barriers the other end, especially at a station my TOC doesn't serve.

The general conclusion we came to was you only have to meet one member if staff who wants to make an example and bam. priv gone. Is it worth it?

As a guard, if you flash me a staff pass, I'm not bothering you for a ticket, but I do wonder how you'll get out of the station.

11. Joliver

Joliver Member

My local station is operated by a TOC different from the TOC I work for. They have never let me through the barriers. I've given up asking now.

12. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I do wish that those who are lucky to have travel facilities use them properly and do not abuse the privilege. Remember there are large groups of workers in the rail industry who get nothing.

13. coxxy

coxxy Member

Just never take it for granted that you'll get a freebie and everything else is a winner. If you ask and they say no, just make sure you ask if you can buy a private ticket on board (if at a manned station) and everything is covered..

Never really had an issue (unless going long distance) with any guards, and like wise, when I was a guard I let anyone with any form of rail pass travel.

14. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

It’s not about abusing the facilities, it’s about looking out for each other. I’d never take for granted that I’d get free travel with other TOCs.

15. saracen

saracen Member

My opinion is that if you get priv, and have an opportunity to buy a ticket at a manned ticket office, then use it.

If revenue protection are on board or at the other end manning barriers then what excuse do we have? We work on te railway, are paid by the railway and know the score. Having such a good discount is a luxury, some open operator staff and the freight guys/girls don't get a thing. The least we can do is buy a ticket on another toc

16. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

If you’ve been given permission by the guard to travel on their train free of charge, there’s nothing Revenue can do about it. Admittedly if you’re going to a barriered station explaining this may be easier said than done. It’s a judgement call really.

17. Gemz91

Gemz91 Member

Used to regularly ask the guard if I could travel free, now I just buy a Priv. Too many guards have said no, hassle from revenue staff, hassle from barrier staff, just find it easier to buy a Priv now.

On the other hand, I knew of one railways worker who wasn't entitled to Priv discount who would wear uniform on their days off if they were using the train hoping the guard would assume they were working and let them travel for free. Certainly not worth the risk! (and why you'd wear uniform on a day off is beyond me).

18. 43066

43066 Member

Staff travel can be a bit of a minefield - if you work for TOC X and commute to work in TOC Y’s trains, you will likely get free travel if both TOCs are under common ownership.

if ownership of either TOC changes, you will then find yourself liable to buy tickets (albeit likely at priv rates).

Some TOCs have informal travel agreements in place, but these are also subject to change, and not all staff are aware of them.

If there’s no agreement, and you’re caught in uniform on another operator’s service without a valid ticket, you may well find yourself on a disciplinary charge at your own TOC for misuse of travel facilities. Not worth the risk in my view!

19. train_lover

train_lover Member

When I was a guard I never charged anyone who was rail staff regardless of them having a priv or not.

When I went to visit family in Torquay I asked a guard if I could jump on. He said yes then charged me 15p priv to Paignton. He is the only person to ever charge me...

20. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

No charge or filling in of boxes is the completely unofficial and unwritten rule. No obligation for Guards/revenue protection to follow that of course and nobody can/should complain if asked to buy a ticket or sit in class of travel as shown on their toc passes.

21. Saxon79

Saxon79 Member

What discount do you get as Railway staff?

22. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Priv rate is a 75% discount on walk-up fares of the class of travel you are entitled to, which is Standard for the vast majority. There is no discount on First class fares for those with a Standard entitlement or on Advance fares for anyone. Most TOC staff will have some element of free travel on their own TOC and possibly others by agreement. Safeguarded staff have national free travel benefits on top.

23. Saxon79

Saxon79 Member

I start with Transport for Wales in February so will I be able to get discount for my Wife also?

24. bb21

bb21 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Yes, spouse for leisure travel only.

25. 185

185 Established Member

Most of the guards I've known who were difficult have infact retired.

Always been of the view that every pair of hands helps when something goes wrong, and having seen five off duty BTP officers on a night out, rather merry, pinning three bag thieves to a station wall... yep, never a problem. As long as they are upright and walking (within reason), I've no problem.

26. Lemmy99uk

Lemmy99uk Member

They probably couldn’t do anything other than report The facts to your employer.

However, the guard who allowed you travel for free could end up in serious trouble.

Despite what some people seem to think, guards to not have the right to give ‘freebies’ to all and sundry. They are allowed discretion in certain circumstances but that doesn’t extend to letting your mates travel for nothing.

I have personal experience of a guard who was disciplined for allowing staff to travel in 1st with no ticket although I don’t know the outcome of the hearing.

If you worked in Sainsbury’s would you be allowed to let ASDA employees shop for free just because they are in the same industry?

27. dctraindriver

dctraindriver Member

Of course they can. If revenue want to pick you as an example they can.

I don’t want the hassle of losing my priv or a chat with my manager about taking the mick.

I use the priv, happy to use the priv and realise how lucky I am to have the discount compared to my FOC and NR colleagues....

28. Scotrail84

Scotrail84 Established Member

Rail staff have discretion, supermarket employees don't.

29. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Legally there’s no grounds for any enforcement action (PF or prosecution) is what I was referring to. Admittedly that’s different in terms of employment issues.

30. TheAlbanach_

TheAlbanach_ Member

I just generally buy a ticket, much easier and I don’t feel comfortable asking for a free ride. If I get on at an unmanned station and the guard doesn’t charge, I end up just buying a ticket anyway at the other end to get out the gates. It is nice of the guard to do that, but just to save on hassle I’m not going to really miss a couple of quid.

31. dctraindriver

dctraindriver Member

And that employment of your services is what you should be keeping at the forefront of your mind. For the sake of a few quid just keep it legit and head below the parapet. Especially if you’re a driver on 62k which will be you in a couple of years.