• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Trainline and Paying with Klarna One Time card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Hi all ,

I’m hoping someone can help me , on my last 2 trips I have booked my tickets via the Trainline and used one time klarna card as payment

For those who aren’t familiar it acts like a credit card but it’s virtual ( it sends you the card details which you enter into the payment section as you would with a normal credit card , it offers Ticket On Departure and E ticket I prefer TOD but you have to use the card you used to purchase the tickets on the previous couple of occasions the Trainline have been very helpful and after contacting them they switched it to any card collection but said they won’t do it again

Is there an easier way to collect ticket on departure while paying with Klarna one time card ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
Have you tried a different retailer that doesn't require TOD bookings to be picked up with the same card as used during payment?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
(Some?) ticket offices can (not necessarily will) print tickets without the payment card providing you have the TOD reference and ID.

omnicity4659

Hopefully this is something that gets sorted out sooner rather than later, as virtual cards are growing in popularity as a product on their own, without being attached to the likes of Google or Apple Pay.

dave87016

Established Member
Many thanks for your help , suggestions and replies much appreciated , I’m wary of using m ticket from the Trainline as I’ve heard negative things about it

To the post about using other TOC website afraid that’s not a option as the Trainline is the only one that accepts klarna and I use that so I can pay in instalments and interest free

DelayRepay

Established Member
Many thanks for your help , suggestions and replies much appreciated , I’m wary of using m ticket from the Trainline as I’ve heard negative things about it
There is a difference between e-tickets and m-tickets. e-tickets are delivered as a pdf which can be saved to your device, printed, emailed to a friend or whatever you want. So long as you can show the pdf or a printed copy, you will not have any trouble. However, they are not available on all routes.

M-tickets do cause problems and are best avoided. These tickets can only be displayed in the retailer's app. There's no way to make a 'copy' so if there is a fault with your phone or the app, you could find yourself in difficulty.

To the post about using other TOC website afraid that’s not a option as the Trainline is the only one that accepts klarna and I use that so I can pay in instalments and interest free

Is Klarna restricted to certain retailers? This page suggests the One-Time card uses Visa's network and can be used with any UK retailer: https://www.klarna.com/uk/customer-service/what-is-a-one-time-card-and-how-does-it-work/

Deafdoggie

Established Member

I'm not aware (but happy to be corrected) that Trainline do M-Tickets. They do E-Tickets, but these are very different and you shouldn't have trouble with those.

TUC

Established Member
How is this situation any different to how my employer, like many others, makes rail bookings on our behalf which can then be picked up from any station on an 'any card' basis? Shouldn't the same underlying approach apply here?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How is this situation any different to how my employer, like many others, makes rail bookings on our behalf which can then be picked up from any station on an 'any card' basis? Shouldn't the same underlying approach apply here?

Retailers don't know that a card isn't a physical one. Unlike PayPal where they can tell because there isn't a card.

Hopefully this is something that gets sorted out sooner rather than later, as virtual cards are growing in popularity as a product on their own, without being attached to the likes of Google or Apple Pay.

It will be sorted out by abolishing ToD.

It's just a virtual card number you can use anywhere, isn't it? If you use Klarna from within Trainline i.e. don't use any card number then there won't be one associated with the booking.

Birmingham

Because corporate booking systems are specifically set up to always allow ‘any card’ collection for this reason.

dave87016

Established Member
Thanks once again for the replies and help greatly appreciated is there anyone on here who works for the Trainline ?

TUC

Established Member
Because corporate booking systems are specifically set up to always allow ‘any card’ collection for this reason.
It's therefore hard to see why to not generally allow this, which would enable those such as the OP to use an alternative card for collection.

_toommm_

Established Member
I believe Klarna allows you to create a one-time card that can be used on any retailer, and the website just treats it as any other card. It gives you the 16 digits, the expiry, and CVV. Therefore you can use any website that defaults to any-card collection. Does Trainsplit now allow you to use any-card collection?

Adam Williams

Established Member
Or easy to see: fraud.

Is it? If you require 3D Secure of all your customers anyway?

It's telling to me that we don't seem to see this in any other industries, where the value can be much higher than your average order value as a retailer. I can buy a £1200 engagement ring from Argos and pick it up with nothing but a collection reference/code I'm sent via SMS (of all things! At least ToD references are sent using TLS).

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
Does Trainsplit now allow you to use any-card collection?

Yes, according to this thread:

Laketop

I previously had an issue when purchasing tickets via Trainsplit , used regularly with a credit card over many years but on this occasion, using a virtual card for the first time.

Got to the station, was unable to print the tickets via the machine. Went to the kiosk and they requested the original card. Hastily contacted Trainsplit but unfortunately missed my train and had to purchase new tickets. Just after the train departed Trainsplit were able to release the requirement of requiring the card the tickets were purchases with. Trainsplit ended up refunding the unused tickets.

So overall, it seems the restriction can be removed via contacting the ticket provider but it is worth collecting your tickets, if they are paper tickets, in advance.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I previously had an issue when purchasing tickets via Trainsplit , used regularly with a credit card over many years but on this occasion, using a virtual card for the first time.

Got to the station, was unable to print the tickets via the machine. Went to the kiosk and they requested the original card. Hastily contacted Trainsplit but unfortunately missed my train and had to purchase new tickets. Just after the train departed Trainsplit were able to release the requirement of requiring the card the tickets were purchases with. Trainsplit ended up refunding the unused tickets.

So overall, it seems the restriction can be removed via contacting the ticket provider but it is worth collecting your tickets, if they are paper tickets, in advance.

1. Sorry to hear you missed your train
  2. Your experience almost certainly pre-dates changes that were made in this area over the past few months, I am confident this would not happen if you booked today - regardless of whether you contacted customer services or not.
  3. The email confirmation has consistently been quite clear historically about whether the original card is required to pick up ToD bookings or not; perhaps there's an argument for retailers that are enforcing same-card collection to explicitly call out the risks (given increasing adoption of virtual cards)

TUC

Established Member
Or easy to see: fraud.
How would it be any more open to fraud than tickets from corporate booking systems that are issued on an 'any card' basis? The very use of a card leaves an electronic paper trail for any fraud.

Haywain

Veteran Member
How would it be any more open to fraud than tickets from corporate booking systems that are issued on an 'any card' basis? The very use of a card leaves an electronic paper trail for any fraud.
Corporate bookings are often issued against an account that will have been credit checked, or against corporate credit cards with a clear purchase and payment history.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Especially given that some actual banks are now giving out physical cards without numbers printed on them (effectively a physical copy of the virtual card, you have to get the card number off their App). Can’t remember if I saw it on here or on social media but someone reported a problem a few weeks ago with the Chase bank where they bought a ticket, inserted the physical card, as instructed on the email confirmation, and it was rejected.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Especially given that some actual banks are now giving out physical cards without numbers printed on them (effectively a physical copy of the virtual card, you have to get the card number off their App). Can’t remember if I saw it on here or on social media but someone reported a problem a few weeks ago with the Chase bank where they bought a ticket, inserted the physical card, as instructed on the email confirmation, and it was rejected.
Tha rejection was explained on that thread, which also clarified that Chase gave instructions on how north to use the card in certain similar circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.