• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vacancy for*Shunter (Various Locations) - Govia Thameslink Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bodiddly

Absolutely rubbish salary, taking the wee wee if you ask me. Unfortunately, they can get away with it because of the desire for people to get into a railway job.

andy19_64

I think you will find that this is for a shunter not a shunter driver. A shunter driver is on a lot more.

SPADTrap

Established Member
No driving within this grade, nevertheless I did think shunters were on more! No wonder they've gone driving! :)

carriageline

Established Member
With precious experience for me, once you include various shift allowances and London weighting, it normally bumps the wage up nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aictos

Established Member
It's still BR T & C though so lower basic but with more bringing home in terms of allowances.

Nestor

It's still BR T & C though so lower basic but with more bringing home in terms of allowances.

Yeah, ok you have cheap extras on top but in reality you only make a decent living RDW during weekends & nights whilst on 12 hour shifts, at best during these preactices you will only clear £1750!

It's a feeder to get your "foot in", I would also recommend Platform Despatch as a way in, more 'hands on' with the 'customer service' appeal that TOC's like from they’re staff;)

playmore64

Hi guys,

Resurrecting a fairly old thread. I was wondering could anyone currently working in the above mentioned position with GTR know the exact final salary after training. I see 'danchoochoo' mention £19k am I correct in thinking this is the final salary after training!

Also would anyone who works or had worked in the above role with FCC now GTR know what modules of the rule book are covered during training and would one go into depth with traction training.

Many thanks:D

Last edited:

nick40uk

Hi guys,

Resurrecting a fairly old thread. I was wondering could anyone currently working in the above mentioned position with GTR know the exact final salary after training. I see 'danchoochoo' mention £19k am I correct in thinking this is the final salary after training!

Also would anyone who works or had worked in the above role with FCC now GTR know what modules of the rule book are covered during training and would one go into depth with traction training.

Many thanks:D

I work as a shunter for FGW and even my starting pay was way higher than that. I'm not even traction trained in terms of moving the trains but we do prepare them overnight.

In terms of the rule book you'll be given all the modules but only certain bits will apply to you. Your trainer will point out the bits you need to know.

Depending on the depot you might be trained to actually manouver the trains or it might just be preparation training

Status
Not open for further replies.