• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validation of Oyster card after > 3 years’ non use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

When I travel to London, I usually include a one day travel card in my return fare from my National Rail station, which is well outside London. On my next visit to London I shall be staying overnight and have not been able to find a National Rail fare that includes any travel on the London Underground.

I do, however, have an Oyster card but I last used it in May 2016. My questions are
  1. Will it work straightaway when I transfer to the Underground at my main line London terminus?
  2. If I have to have it revalidated, whom do I speak to (given the booking offices have all been shut down)?
  3. Are all the London Underground attendants standing near the gate line able / allowed to sort this out?
  4. What do I ask for?
  5. How long will this process take?
  6. Can all this be sorted out online before I travel and if so how?
  7. Are there any ways of booking a ticket from a National Rail station and purchasing zone 1 Underground tickets at the same time?
Thank you in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

akm

1. Yes, assuming it hasn't had a hardware failure (from being microwaved or something, they are pretty hard-wearing...)
2-6. N/A
7. If there exists a fare to ZONE 1256 LONDON (eg http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=CBG&dest=0786&tkt=SDS from Cambridge) then you can get one ticket for the whole journey, yes. And maybe other ways, I'm sure you'll get other replies :)

Par

Wouldn’t a contactless debit card just be simpler than re-validating the Oyster? (assuming the Oyster isn’t considerably pre-loaded).

Joe Paxton

Established Member
1. Yes, assuming it hasn't had a hardware failure (from being microwaved or something, they are pretty hard-wearing...)

They don't really like being bent though, e.g. through being kept in the back pocket of a pair of jeans and thus being sat on!

7. If there exists a fare to ZONE 1256 LONDON (eg http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=CBG&dest=0786&tkt=SDS from Cambridge) then you can get one ticket for the whole journey, yes. And maybe other ways, I'm sure you'll get other replies :)

Or a fare to either ZONE U1 or ZONE U12 LONDON - if both exist they're probably the same price (the aforementioned ticket to ZONE 1256 LONDON would cover a Tube journey from zone 1 out to zone 6, e.g. Heathrow).

Par

Doesn’t the OP want to travel to London on Day 1, stay overnight and use the tube on Day 2 as well, therefore needs Oyster / Contactless?

akm

Wouldn’t a contactless debit card just be simpler than re-validating the Oyster? (assuming the Oyster isn’t considerably pre-loaded).
From the fare quoted, OP has a railcard discount loaded to the Oyster card. Contactless can't currently do this.

Veteran Member
From the fare quoted, OP has a railcard discount loaded to the Oyster card. Contactless can't currently do this.
I can't see any fares in the OP's post.
However, railcard discount has be be reapplied with each new railcard - it is very straightforward with the help of a gateline assistant.

paddington

I thought that you might have to touch older oysters at a ticket machine first before they will work for travel, or is this complete rubbish?

I don't understand why people get so hung up about keeping a single Oyster. If you are in a rush and it doesn't work or you are concerned about it not working, just buy a new one (or use contactless) then get a refund on the old one when you have more time.

If you want to load a railcard to an Oyster you should speak to a staff member at the ticket machines rather than at the gateline, unless it is quiet period.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
It used to be the case that Oysters stopped working if they weren't used for two years. Is this no longer the case?

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It used to be the case that Oysters stopped working if they weren't used for two years. Is this no longer the case?

I think there is or was a clause in the Oyster T&Cs that stated something like this, but I don't think it was ever actually implemented.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don’t ever remember this was the case. Many countries have less tourist friendly policies than London (I don’t think I’ve /ever/ visited a city with a Smart ticketing system as good value for irregular or one-visit users as London has).

sheff1

Established Member
If you want to load a railcard to an Oyster you should speak to a staff member at the ticket machines rather than at the gateline, unless it is quiet period.

The last two times I have added a new railcard to my Oyster there have been no staff members in the vicinity of the ticket machines. The gateline staff loaded the railcard quickly at both Canning Town and Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Status
Not open for further replies.