• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaping away, on Virgin East Coast one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Utterly irrelevant - disabled people don't have a right to break the law.

That's true but try and find someone who actually has the authority to enforce it. As I understand it only BTP can actually do anything about it and they are as scarce as hobby horses ****e :p

Seriously as I mentioned before First Scotrails Policy seemed to be the most sensible - ie smoking permitted on open platforms.

Aldaniti

As a non-smoker I don't really have a problem with those who want to smoke in the open air. Every now and again you get a whiff - no, its not pleasant, but to be honest I'm far more concerned about diesel particulate matter spewed out from buses, lorries and cars, which does us far more damage, but that's another subject....

Llanigraham

On Moderation
A train guards answer:-

As for stations it is my understanding that vaping IS permitted, and I advertise this fact. If I am wrong no one in officialdom has told me yet! However, what is the point in having no smoking rules if no one enforces them? I have seen staff, management and even police ignore people smoking on the platforms.

Smoking and vaping is banned at all stations in Wales, and on any station controlled by ATW, such as Shrewsbury. There are notices stating so on them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's true but try and find someone who actually has the authority to enforce it. As I understand it only BTP can actually do anything about it and they are as scarce as hobby horses ****e :p

Seriously as I mentioned before First Scotrails Policy seemed to be the most sensible - ie smoking permitted on open platforms.

Any person can be asked to leave railway premises by any railway employee.

I totally approve of the rules in Wales; no smoking or vaping on any station, other than Fishguard.

Your Forum name seems most apt!! :roll:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
"No. Every train and station in the UK is smoke-free, including e-cigarettes."

Wrong.

In response to the original post - you're friend was talking nonsense. Vaping is in no way smoking so smoking being prohibited is completely irrelevant, though certain people like to class it as such for their own agenda, and I find it impossible to believe that the 'smoke' affected your friend's throat considering it isn't smoke.

richw

Veteran Member
On my train today the lad a few rows back was rolling a spliff. Absolutely stinking! Noticed him lighting it up when he got off before he got out of the station.
Wrong.

In response to the original post - you're friend was talking nonsense. Vaping is in no way smoking so smoking being prohibited is completely irrelevant, though certain people like to class it as such for their own agenda, and I find it impossible to believe that the 'smoke' affected your friend's throat considering it isn't smoke.

The only thing wrong is you. It is prohibited from stations as the land owner has declared. The chemicals are quite easily able to affect people's throats. I've been around people using these devices and every time have suffered a bad threat afterwards. They still contain some quite nasty ingredients especially the cheap liquids

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Smoking and vaping is banned at all stations in Wales, and on any station controlled by ATW, such as Shrewsbury. There are notices stating so on them.

Any person can be asked to leave railway premises by any railway employee.

I totally approve of the rules in Wales; no smoking or vaping on any station, other than Fishguard.

Your Forum name seems most apt!! :roll:

Blimey what a killjoy, I'm suprised you are not lobbying Stena to protest at the situation on Fishguard Station. :roll:
On my train today the lad a few rows back was rolling a spliff. Absolutely stinking! Noticed him lighting it up when he got off before he got out of the station.

The only thing wrong is you. It is prohibited from stations as the land owner has declared. The chemicals are quite easily able to affect people's throats. I've been around people using these devices and every time have suffered a bad threat afterwards. They still contain some quite nasty ingredients especially the cheap liquids

Are you old enough to have drunk in Pubs before the smoking ban came in ?

I'm sure the effects of someone vaping is minimal compared to experiencing that.:idea:

richw

Veteran Member

I'm sure the effects of someone vaping is minimal compared to experiencing that.:idea:

Yep. Guilty confession the only times I've smoked was in pubs pre smoking ban!

I guess a short term sore throat is better than lung disease :lol:

randyrippley

Established Member
She erupted. " I knew you would be a problem as soon as I saw you! "

You should have thanked her at that point for correctly recognising your moral and intellectual superiority over her. And then pointed out that any problem was entirely of her own making

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Wrong.

And of course you have full, proven and unequivocal scientific evidence to support that? If so please provide it and a full link to such evidence.
Blimey what a killjoy, I'm suprised you are not lobbying Stena to protest at the situation on Fishguard Station. :roll:

If you say so.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Forgive me if I've misinterpreted the intention of some of the above posts that are decrying the use of ecigs, but I feel that some of the comments are silly (even though that may not be the intention).

Personally, I would be more wound up about delayed electrification projects, Brexit, Trump, the government selling arms to Saudi Arabia (who also happen to be leading the United Nations Security Council on Human Rights - puzzling indeed owing to their appalling human rights issues), cuts to Employment and Support Allowance for disabled people the day before the USA Presidential Election, the likes of Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Boots, Vodafone being some of the big corporations who intentionally dodge paying tax, the rise of racism and fascism across Europe, conflicts across the globe that the UK support by proxy, refugee crisis, etc.

Those are the things that would rattle me the most, rather than somebody having a fly vape of an ecig or a fly puff of a conventional tobacco product.

Butts

Veteran Member
Forgive me if I've misinterpreted the intention of some of the above posts that are decrying the use of ecigs, but I feel that some of the comments are silly (even though that may not be the intention).

Personally, I would be more wound up about delayed electrification projects, Brexit, Trump, the government selling arms to Saudi Arabia (who also happen to be leading the United Nations Security Council on Human Rights - puzzling indeed owing to their appalling human rights issues), cuts to Employment and Support Allowance for disabled people the day before the USA Presidential Election, the likes of Google, Amazon, Starbucks, Boots, Vodafone being some of the big corporations who intentionally dodge paying tax, the rise of racism and fascism across Europe, conflicts across the globe that the UK support by proxy, refugee crisis, etc.

Those are the things that would rattle me the most, rather than somebody having a fly vape of an ecig or a fly puff of a conventional tobacco product.

Well said that man - it's definitely a "First World Problem" :lol:

KTHV

What about if you observed someone vaping on a platform with an unfolded Brompton? ;)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

I don't think musing about the injustice of the world and being annoyed at e-cigarettes are mutually exclusive.

Clip

Established Member
Vaping is properly horrible - the flavours and smell of what comes out - often in bigger clouds of vapour than from a tab - is horrific.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Well said that man - it's definitely a "First World Problem" :lol:

Maybe, but those who simply say "chill out", or similar, when confronted with their own wrong-doing or lack of care about others' wrong-doing are, frankly, pathetic. I have no sympathy at all with smokers who feel aggrieved that their foul habit has been regulated. 'Vaping' is regulated too - to claim that the rules surrounding that are wrong and should be ignored is just childish and petulant.

Perhaps we should all just obey the rules/laws that we think are suitable and treat the others as optional. 'First World' indeed.

richw

Veteran Member

None of those world problems give me a temporary sore throat though :lol:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
and, you will replace all those jobs in the UK arms industry how ?

Replace with socially useful products.

Take a look at the Lucas Plan that was published in 1976 as a starting point.

Anyway, your comment is going off topic of the main title of the thread.

I am happy to start a new thread regarding the Lucas Plan if need be.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
and, you will replace all those jobs in the UK arms industry how ?

Are jobs more important than morals? Perhaps we should start renting out our Army as militia for hire to the highest bidder? We could start training people who are unemployed as assassins - so long as they only kill people abroad, of course.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are jobs more important than morals? Perhaps we should start renting out our Army as militia for hire to the highest bidder? We could start training people who are unemployed as assassins - so long as they only kill people abroad, of course.

I would imagine we already do that.

dviner

What about if you observed someone vaping on a platform with an unfolded Brompton? ;)

'hanging's too good for 'em!!

:D

You missed out the redesign of the Toblerone.

On a slightly more serious note - is it because most of the things you've listed above (with the exception of the ESA cuts) are less of an immediate, "in your face", issue than someone smoking (or vaping) where you don't think they should?

johntea

Established Member
Vaping is properly horrible - the flavours and smell of what comes out - often in bigger clouds of vapour than from a tab - is horrific.

I've always been one of those annoying people who sometimes has a smoke after a few drinks and that is that (don't smoke day to day), a few years ago I bought a basic no frills eCig from Home Bargains for about a fiver and all it tasted of to me was a weird mint flavour but my old housemate used to have a fancy one that required NASA to assemble it was that complex and you can buy a wide variety of different flavoured liquids in the supermarkets too!

What is rather funny is in my old workplace walking round to see all the staff with eCigs poking out from the front of their computers charging up via the front USB ports :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe things have improved, but a magazine I worked for did a round-up of eCigs when they were pretty new and I took some home to try out (we got sent loads, along with loads of different liquids/flavours), and they tasted awful. I could not for the life of me work out why people like them. Horrid taste. Horrid smell. Horrid full stop.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Gave up smoking in 2009 before the eCig fad took off so they were relatively unheard of then. Ironically at a music festival. It seems 5 days of constant drinking and smoking had taken its toll on my ageing figure and after spending the sunday drinking tea while watching Slash and Aerosmith and looking a paler shade of green I gave away my pouch of tobacco and never bought one since.

At my local Ill still happily sit with friends in the beer garden while they chug away as I am choosing to put myself in that environment, and thats fair enough. However I should expect no smoking areas, rules and laws to be followed and enforced just as I would appreciate smokers need their permitted areas, unfortunately there will always be those that have "the right" and those who "dont give a flick"

kevjs

I was, when the ban came in I realised it was the smoking that kept leaving me with a sore throat for days after a night out and not the alcohol. Since that ban came in never had a sore throat since, until these bloody vapers came in - even walking past a vape shop with smoke coming out of it (looks like it's well foggy in one local one) is enough to trigger a sore throat. <(

Established Member
Jeez I've already noticed Brexit, Trump and hanging non-folded Brompton passengers in this thread so it's proper going down. :P

Part of the problem with vaping, health risks (or not) aside is simply the stink. It's smells like a crash between a stale dog food truck and a candyfloss stall... did no-one think to make them smelling of air-freshener, perhaps the Glade™ range of plug-ins?

As for health risks, there is one chap, always vaping, off sick at our depot with suspected 'fungus lung'. Could be down to tumble driers or anything, who knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.