• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaping away, on Virgin East Coast one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
Vaping isn't safe either, it's proven to damage cells in exactly the same way as normal smoking, if I see someone illegally smoking I always get fuming as it's causing me and even innocent kids health problems.
Vaping has nicotine, an addictive poisonous drug, I don't want to breathe in druggie stink anywhere!

I think you need to calm yourself down here, comments such as 'Druggie Stink' are far too hilarious.

What you have done there in the first paragraph I've quoted is do exactly what certain newspapers did when the cell research was released, to omit key facts and make it sound as if vaping is as dangerous as 'normal' smoking full stop. They neglected to leave out the facts, such as the side by side tests that were done which showed that all cells died within 24 hours of being subjected to 'normal' smoke, cells subjected to vaping lasted as long as 8 weeks.

I'm not disagreeing that there is harm done, but you don't know how much damage is done by them. How do I know that? Because the 'experts' don't know yet.

As it seems to be 'passive vaping' that has got your goat the most, i'll leave you some facts to peruse.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/smoking/Pages/passive-smoking.aspx

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

I was a smoker and have been an evil druggie vaper for 6 months now. I'd tried many ways to quit before this and never quite managed. Vaping has now allowed me to reduce the amount of nicotine and I only use it a few times a day. A bit further down the line, I hope to not even need to vape.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
On a lighter note on the North Norfolk Railway at Sheringham earlier this year.

Man 'vaping' away on the platform whilst standing right next to a steam loco belching steam everywhere when he was told to stop by one of the station staff. He looked at the loco, looked at his vapestick, (or whatever you call it), and simply fell about laughing.

Having seen the funny side he did stop though.

Last edited:

Leyland155

At Doncaster recently whilst waiting for a train, I had the misfortune of waiting next to someone who was smoking a cigarette. I thought of telling a member of staff, but though that sooner or later one would walk past anyway. So I waited, and when one did pass they glanced at the smoker and continued walking. I can understand that the staff member may have wanted to avoid any confrontation, but what is the point of having rules if they aren't enforced?

Butts

Veteran Member
The real "Iron Duke" would be spinning in his grave at the OP's friends wimpish reaction to someone vaping. One wonders how he manages to traverse the High Street with out inducing asphyxiation upon his person. :roll:

Whilst I appreciate there may be grounds for restricting smoking/vaping onboard and in enclosed parts of Stations ......

Open platforms really ?????

The most sensible compromise was that operated by First Scotrail until last April when smoking was permitted on open platforms. Indeed news of successor Abellios change of policy does not seem to have reached the Highlands.

Passengers and staff regularly disembark at Crianlarich during the changeover for a smoke on the platform. Is that really a problem or inconvenience to anyone :idea:

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Passengers and staff regularly disembark at Crianlarich during the changeover for a smoke on the platform. Is that really a problem or inconvenience to anyone :idea:

I quite like the approach DB have taken of having a smoking area in the centre of the platform at the extreme ends, marked by fencing. The problem with allowing it anywhere on platforms is that the result was people smoking immediately outside train doors, requiring passengers to walk through the smoke to board and often as a result taking it into the passenger compartment. Not to mention the throwing of the cigarette ends on the floor.

If people had been more considerate and moved away from the doors, and had refrained from littering[1], such a ban would not have been necessary (though no doubt the neo-puritans/nanny-stateists would have persisted).

[1] I did service crew on a Scout campsite in Austria about 18 years ago when smoking was more accepted, and their trick was to carry a film canister or similar small enclosed pot or box in which to deposit the cigarette ends rather than throwing them on the floor.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
One very good use for compulsory, registered smart cards (even if they are only used as a medium for storing tickets, which I consider to be the only acceptable approach anyway) would be to allow guards to register "strikes" for contravention of the bye laws - whether for a refusal to stop "vaping", drunkenness which causes disturbance to other passengers, etc - with three strikes resulting in a ban from the railway for (at least) 12 months. Then there might be some civility, particularly on routes which suffer from some less-than-desirable clientele.

Butts

Veteran Member
I quite like the approach DB have taken of having a smoking area in the centre of the platform at the extreme ends, marked by fencing. The problem with allowing it anywhere on platforms is that the result was people smoking immediately outside train doors, requiring passengers to walk through the smoke to board and often as a result taking it into the passenger compartment. Not to mention the throwing of the cigarette ends on the floor.

If people had been more considerate and moved away from the doors, and had refrained from littering[1], such a ban would not have been necessary (though no doubt the neo-puritans/nanny-stateists would have persisted).

[1] I did service crew on a Scout campsite in Austria about 18 years ago when smoking was more accepted, and their trick was to carry a film canister or similar small enclosed pot or box in which to deposit the cigarette ends rather than throwing them on the floor.

Funny you should mention Austria as it has some of the most Liberal smoking restrictions in Western Europe. Iron Dukes wimpish associate would be well advised to avoid cafes and bars where smoking is still permitted.

However he would be pleased to hear it is all to end in 2018 :cry:

DBE

Why not text through to BTP on 61016?

Coming into a large station like Kings Cross, there would be a high chance of the train being met if you wanted to pursue the issue...

tsr

Established Member

I was at Rannoch not so long ago when an Up Sleeper passenger tried the same thing. The crew were rather unimpressed and threatened to leave them behind for trying it...

Butts

Veteran Member
I was at Rannoch not so long ago when an Up Sleeper passenger tried the same thing. The crew were rather unimpressed and threatened to leave them behind for trying it...

If you were a smoker and had come all the way from London I think you would understand his motivation :p

Chrism20

Established Member

Coming into a large station like Kings Cross, there would be a high chance of the train being met if you wanted to pursue the issue...

Just when you mention texting is there not still the "Hello, I'm carriage *****) Stickers at the end of each carriage on VTEC trains where you can text about an issue on your journey?

I've messaged it in the past since VTEC took over and I have had an actually reply and not an auto response. They also contact the guard or crew as well as I've messaged about broken seats in first class or wifi not connecting and I've had the guard come down and speak to me after being asked what seat I'm in.

thedbdiboy

E-cigarettes are not (yet) explicitly banned in either the Byelaws or the NRCoT. It is down to each TOC to prohibit their use on their own trains or services.

Butts

Veteran Member

I'm sure they's have an armed response vehicle awaiting the dastardly "vaper" :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At Doncaster recently whilst waiting for a train, I had the misfortune of waiting next to someone who was smoking a cigarette. I thought of telling a member of staff, but though that sooner or later one would walk past anyway. So I waited, and when one did pass they glanced at the smoker and continued walking. I can understand that the staff member may have wanted to avoid any confrontation, but what is the point of having rules if they aren't enforced?

Oh life is so hard - you have got a pair of legs presumeably - use them :roll:
One very good use for compulsory, registered smart cards (even if they are only used as a medium for storing tickets, which I consider to be the only acceptable approach anyway) would be to allow guards to register "strikes" for contravention of the bye laws - whether for a refusal to stop "vaping", drunkenness which causes disturbance to other passengers, etc - with three strikes resulting in a ban from the railway for (at least) 12 months. Then there might be some civility, particularly on routes which suffer from some less-than-desirable clientele.

Of a match ? :p

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
This really has to be the biggest non issue around. Anyone who is used to travelling with some of today's anti social brigade will quite understand a guard or train manager taking refuge in a back cab and not coming out. There are far bigger issues than vaping.

I'm not excusing those causing the problem - but - the staff payscale is simply not high enough to risk a ride in an ambulance and a stay in A & E when one of these low lives turns round and retaliates, because he knows full well that no-one will do anything about it, and his chances of getting more than a slapped wrist if apprehended is utterly nominal!

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
A train guards answer:-

Smoking is not permitted, neither is vaping. If there is an issue please dont keep it to yourself and suffer an uncomfortable journey, or moan about it on here afterwards. Report it. Either to BTP, the carriage stickers, twitter, facebook, customer relations phone number or come and find me on the train. I cannot deal with issues such as this if no one tells me about it. Same with blocked toilets, dont keep adding to the blockage, report it. Many of my colleagues will happily sort it but only if we know about it.

As for stations it is my understanding that vaping IS permitted, and I advertise this fact. If I am wrong no one in officialdom has told me yet! However, what is the point in having no smoking rules if no one enforces them? I have seen staff, management and even police ignore people smoking on the platforms.

Incidentally I once advised someone not to smoke on the platform at York and got met with a barrage of abuse on the platform. When the train rolled in and they boarded they were in for a shock when they were immediately ejected from the train for threatening and abusive behaviour. Changed the tune as soon as it became clear I was the relieving guard and couldnt be nice enough. Nope, sorry. Should have thought of that before mouths were opened!

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
As for stations it is my understanding that vaping IS permitted, and I advertise this fact. However, what is the point in having no smoking rules if no one enforces them? I have seen staff, management and even police ignore people smoking on the platforms.!

GWR stations have a sticker added to the bottom of their no smoking signs that says includes e-cigarettes

Deepgreen

Established Member
I'm sure they's have an armed response vehicle awaiting the dastardly "vaper" :roll:

Oh life is so hard - you have got a pair of legs presumeably - use them :roll:

Of a match ? :p

That's the spirit - allow the miscreant to continue misbehaving by moving when they are in the wrong - even assuming the poster isn't actually disabled, as you have. Well done. I suppose your moniker tells us all we need to know about your attitude regarding smoking and the rules surrounding it.

talltim

Established Member
The real "Iron Duke" would be spinning in his grave at the OP's friends wimpish reaction to someone vaping. One wonders how he manages to traverse the High Street with out inducing asphyxiation upon his person. :roll:

The real "Iron Duke" (Well, the Duke of Wellington one) hated travelling by train, probably because of inconsiderate vapers...

Butts

Veteran Member
That's the spirit - allow the miscreant to continue misbehaving by moving when they are in the wrong - even assuming the poster isn't actually disabled, as you have. Well done. I suppose your moniker tells us all we need to know about your attitude regarding smoking and the rules surrounding it.

What if the smoker was disabled :idea:
The real "Iron Duke" (Well, the Duke of Wellington one) hated travelling by train, probably because of inconsiderate vapers...

Havanas all the way I would have thought :lol: - no wimpish vapers.

Smoking and E-cigs banned on all Greater Anglia stations. As previous posters have mentioned as a guard if you mention something to me I will want to sort it, the likelihood is I just don't know it's happening.

I will always reprimand anyone using either on my trains, when it comes to stations I consider what effort they have gone to to avoid inconveniencing the other passengers. If they're under the canopy of a major station on a bench they'll be in trouble, if they're stood right out at the end of the platform getting a soaking on a typical British day, I don't make an issue of it.

Thankfully the number of people smoking is falling quite rapidly and it seems from what I've seen that e-cig usage is plateauing, it's certainly not the issue for me that it used to be. Personally I'd rather breath in second hand smoke, at least I know what's in it, e-cig Chinese specials who knows what's in the liquid? A point I do often make to people vaping on board.

6Gman

Established Member

Or possibly because on his first train journey he was booed by the people of Manchester (having just seen Huskisson mown down by Rocket).

Not a good day at the office.

:D
A train guards answer:-

Smoking is not permitted, neither is vaping. If there is an issue please dont keep it to yourself and suffer an uncomfortable journey, or moan about it on here afterwards. Report it. Either to BTP, the carriage stickers, twitter, facebook, customer relations phone number or come and find me on the train. I cannot deal with issues such as this if no one tells me about it. Same with blocked toilets, dont keep adding to the blockage, report it. Many of my colleagues will happily sort it but only if we know about it.

As for stations it is my understanding that vaping IS permitted, and I advertise this fact. If I am wrong no one in officialdom has told me yet! However, what is the point in having no smoking rules if no one enforces them? I have seen staff, management and even police ignore people smoking on the platforms.

Incidentally I once advised someone not to smoke on the platform at York and got met with a barrage of abuse on the platform. When the train rolled in and they boarded they were in for a shock when they were immediately ejected from the train for threatening and abusive behaviour. Changed the tune as soon as it became clear I was the relieving guard and couldnt be nice enough. Nope, sorry. Should have thought of that before mouths were opened!

Liked!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
If all these jokes about e-cigs are tiresome, does that mean we have the first ever confirmed Darth Vaper?

I'll get my coat

Status
Not open for further replies.