• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varamis Rail Given Operators Licence from ORR

IndianPacific

Railway terminal is being planned at Hinckley.
Thanks, gave this a google, looks like a little Eurocentral. But it also looks a few years away, so maybe not that useful for a firm that needs contracts / cashflow now.

I'm still nervous this is a railway persons dream.

In EuroCentral the GXO / Argos unit was built with a rail connection along the back of the warehouse which would have been a great way to get a retailer on to this type of service, I don't think it was ever really used and it has now been partially concreted over (maybe the 'wrong' tenant took it, but the parcel depots in / near Eurocentral aren't as big as that GXO unit so I'm not sure what they were really aiming for with it - but that's drifting off topic).

The whole Eurocentral / Euroterminal name came from a desire to get Scotland / Europe freight running through the tunnel but it's basically turned in to a domestic intermodal facility.

With things like the Tesco train or the Highland Spring service, the customers aren't that sensitive to journey time, it's more about having a reliable arrival time so the just in time retail machine keeps ticking over. Parcels have pressure from every angle, in that retailers want to be able to take orders as late as possible and still deliver next day. The parcel companies want to touch it as few times as possible before delivery because they're fighting Evri (who charge / pay peanuts) in a race to the bottom. It's a different challenge and one I'm not sure the railway supports that well.

But anyway, maybe this is just me being pessimistic, more freight on rail is a good thing, so lets hope this works!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
Thanks, gave this a google, looks like a little Eurocentral. But it also looks a few years away, so maybe not that useful for a firm that needs contracts / cashflow now.

I'm still nervous this is a railway persons dream.

In EuroCentral the GXO / Argos unit was built with a rail connection along the back of the warehouse which would have been a great way to get a retailer on to this type of service, I don't think it was ever really used and it has now been partially concreted over (maybe the 'wrong' tenant took it, but the parcel depots in / near Eurocentral aren't as big as that GXO unit so I'm not sure what they were really aiming for with it - but that's drifting off topic).

The whole Eurocentral / Euroterminal name came from a desire to get Scotland / Europe freight running through the tunnel but it's basically turned in to a domestic intermodal facility.

With things like the Tesco train or the Highland Spring service, the customers aren't that sensitive to journey time, it's more about having a reliable arrival time so the just in time retail machine keeps ticking over. Parcels have pressure from every angle, in that retailers want to be able to take orders as late as possible and still deliver next day. The parcel companies want to touch it as few times as possible before delivery because they're fighting Evri (who charge / pay peanuts) in a race to the bottom. It's a different challenge and one I'm not sure the railway supports that well.

But anyway, maybe this is just me being pessimistic, more freight on rail is a good thing, so lets hope this works!
Don't forget that each truck will require a driver, so sending by rail will save the expense of two or three drivers travelling up and down the M6/M74 (and the need to find those drivers)

1Q18

Don't forget that each truck will require a driver, so sending by rail will save the expense of two or three drivers travelling up and down the M6/M74 (and the need to find those drivers)
Truck drivers are cheap, though.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
They really aren't though, they are increasingly expensive and there is a crippling shortage of them.

Especially for long-haul operations, it's not really an attractive life after all.

The Ham

Established Member
They really aren't though, they are increasingly expensive and there is a crippling shortage of them.

Especially for long-haul operations, it's not really an attractive life after all.

Indeed, 5 years ago may have been different, however it's not the case now - although that's in part due to about half a million fewer economically active people in the working aged population impacting every industry (except perhaps the NHS who magical don't have the same issues, so falling wages isn't going to lead to falling staff numbers - a well known fact...)

dan4291

The environmental aspects of Varamis's venture haven't had much of a mention, but it's definitely one of their main selling points, and is nothing new. There's always been a push to move as much freight to rail as is viable, and usually one of the selling points is a freight flow removing X amount of trucks off the roads. Nowadays with the push to decarbonise pretty much everything I reckon if they can get the economics right then Varamis are onto a winner.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The environmental aspects of Varamis's venture haven't had much of a mention, but it's definitely one of their main selling points, and is nothing new. There's always been a push to move as much freight to rail as is viable, and usually one of the selling points is a freight flow removing X amount of trucks off the roads. Nowadays with the push to decarbonise pretty much everything I reckon if they can get the economics right then Varamis are onto a winner.
From the railway industry maybe, but certainly not from the logistics industry or central government.

dk1

Veteran Member

Good to hear.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
My work is hiring qualified HGV drivers at 55k a year - if that is considered cheap now. Train drivers earn a lot, but rail schedules on the main line are a lot faster, so they'll get more trips out of 1 or 2 drivers' shifts.
I wish Varamis well.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like it’s about to get busier. Varamis tweeting that with increased traffic flows about to start, the early terminal departures (72 minutes yesterday) will come to an end.

Dumpton Park

Has anyone seen this in operation at BI? How does the loading and unloading work? Presumably BI has some legacy infrastructure in place to get lots of parcels/trolleys on and off the platforms? Can't recall seeing it on past fleeting visits.

And isn't this very similar model to the planned Orion service from ROG. What happened to that?

DP

The Planner

Veteran Member
Has anyone seen this in operation at BI? How does the loading and unloading work? Presumably BI has some legacy infrastructure in place to get lots of parcels/trolleys on and off the platforms? Can't recall seeing it on past fleeting visits.

And isn't this very similar model to the planned Orion service from ROG. What happened to that?

DP
The old Red Star depot on Platform 1.

Carlisle

Established Member

DP
Indeed, no obvious official information as to wether they’re going ahead at some point or have withdrawn entirely.

Dumpton Park

The old Red Star depot on Platform 1.

Thanks. Don't think I've ever been on Platform 1!

Curious that heading North the train seems to have to sit in a loop for 30 mins in the middle of the night.

I wonder how many other dormant Parcels/Red Star-type facilities are left that could be reactivated. Preston has one, I think. Redhill probably still has the old mail platform in place if not still connected.

DP

Adrian1980uk

Wonder how loaded the trains have been, I guess we need to wait a month or 2 for it to settle down and see how full it gets

Trainfan2019

Ah so this is the odd train I keep seeing on real time trains in the early hours. It doesn't seem to be classed as normal freight with the ZZ code but is included with passenger trains when filter applied.

According to real time trains, on 28th January, the varamis train from Birmingham was due to stop at Crewe platform D. Was this incorrect data as I've never heard of platform D? Screenshot attached.Screenshot_2023-01-31-21-28-44-741_com.android.chrome.jpg

Bill57p9

Ah so this is the odd train I keep seeing on real time trains in the early hours. It doesn't seem to be classed as normal freight with the ZZ code but is included with passenger trains when filter applied.

According to real time trains, on 28th January, the varamis train from Birmingham was due to stop at Crewe platform D. Was this incorrect data as I've never heard of platform D? Screenshot attached.View attachment 128069
Mail & parcel trains run with class 1 headcodes these days which is probably why RTT considers them a "passenger" service.

I am reasonably confident that platform D is a shortening of DF(L) = Down fast (line): Looking at the detail it was ran on the DF before and after Crewe, plus the record departure is before arrival suggesting that it didn't actually stop.

dk1

Veteran Member
Wonder how loaded the trains have been, I guess we need to wait a month or 2 for it to settle down and see how full it gets

Apparently with the imminent uplift in traffic there will be an end of the service departing very early as has been the case since its launch.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Mail & parcel trains run with class 1 headcodes these days which is probably why RTT considers them a "passenger" service.

I am reasonably confident that platform D is a shortening of DF(L) = Down fast (line): Looking at the detail it was ran on the DF before and after Crewe, plus the record departure is before arrival suggesting that it didn't actually stop.
Correct on both points.

Thanks for the update. That was for last Thursdays which I think was terminated Carlisle. Friday 3rd didn't run and Monday 6th the one in question didn't run.

Wonder what's happening.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Varamis were rather vexed the other day:

Service 018 ~ 01/02/23 Unfortunately, 1M04 & 1S04 were caped last night due to another train operator’s failure to observe our place in the WTT at #Birmingham, stabling a train in the only platform we can utilise, therefore denying us access to it

I wasn’t aware that trains were stabled overnight at Birmingham International (unless it was ‘stranded’ after failing or something like that). Presumably a Network Rail signalling involvement too?

Platform 1 at Birmingham International has access from the road for loading unloading, the other platforms don't. Imagine a train was left their for a reason or signaller put it into the wrong platform. I am sure it won't happen again.