• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varsity line - why did Bletchley to Bedford survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB71

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I have been curious for the best part of 40 years about why the Bletchley to Bedford line survived. I spent time growing up in MK late 70's to mid 80's and was always fascinated by the line to Bedford but could never work out why that bit survived. I recently was able to procure a BR London Midland region timetable for March 67 to May 68 - table 55 the Oxford to Cambridge table clearly states that it was anticipated the entire line would close, and again I have noted in the 74 all line timetable it again mentions that the Bletchley to Bedford line was anticipated to close at some point - yet it never did.

I was surprised just how many trains there were in 1967 - there were Monday to Friday 9 trains between Oxford and Bletchley, 18 trains between Bletchley and Bedford and 10 trains between Bedford and Cambridge. Pre-Milton Keynes I don't know why there was such "high demand" between Bletchley and Bedford. I know that Bletchley had a bit of an InterCity service pre-MKC but although I am sure there was some I can't believe that there would be that much connecting traffic from Bedford and most intermediate stations are really villages.

If this has already been answered I would be grateful if someone would point me to the thread or is able to shed more light on the reasons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I understand is that a replacement bus service couldn't be arranged, so the rail service lived on.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I understand is that a replacement bus service couldn't be arranged, so the rail service lived on.

Yep, that's correct. United Counties were not able to resource a suitable replacement bus service so the railway remained open. The "Beeching bus" X5 came much, much later and of course doesn't serve the villages.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
St Albans Abbey survived for much the same reason - but to be fair , and the papers on file clearly indicate that the real plan was to massively reduce costs (which they did) and in fact traffic grew nicely with a timetable fitting into the new electrifcation at Watford and positive marketing and a very cheap new station at Garston. Poor LT and London Country produced a lavish bus service to replace the line , but they had no chance of resourcing it in those days of full employment in the area.

Bedford - Bletchley had a strong base of 2 way schools traffic for many years. Enough to need 4 car sets on the very "peak" workings.

Djgr

Established Member
Yep, that's correct. United Counties were not able to resource a suitable replacement bus service so the railway remained open. The "Beeching bus" X5 came much, much later and of course doesn't serve the villages.
And by the time this was sortable the closure axe has passed. A few other lines were saved due to similar luck.

Very few closures have taken place since circa 1973. The turning point was probably the oil crisis.

A0wen

On Moderation

Not quite - it was only the inability to serve the villages between Bedford & Bletchley - which the X5 still doesn't, do the X5 isn't really a "Beeching bus".

At the time of Beeching there was an Oxford - Cambridge coach operated by Premier Travel & Percival's.

There was also a Bedford - Oxford service operated jointly by United Counties and City of Oxford Motor Services.

RT4038

Established Member
Not quite - it was only the inability to serve the villages between Bedford & Bletchley - which the X5 still doesn't, do the X5 isn't really a "Beeching bus".

At the time of Beeching there was an Oxford - Cambridge coach operated by Premier Travel & Percival's.

There was also a Bedford - Oxford service operated jointly by United Counties and City of Oxford Motor Services.
This is not quite right. There was no (physical) inability to serve the villages as such; @Bletchleyite is quite right that the problem (twice - in '67 and '73) was that the United Counties bus company was unable to resource the service due to severe staff shortage, not helped by additional capacity required for schools traffic. A plague of cancellations in the area on other services for this reason caused the Traffic Commissioner to refuse the licence applications.

The replacement 'Limited Stop' service would have run hourly plus peak extras Bedford (Bus Station), Stewartby (P.O.), Marston Moretaine (Lidlington Turn) [for Millbrook, which was situated in green fields], Lidlington (P.O.), Brogborough (Highfield Crescent) [which was the settlement that Ridgmont Station served], Aspley Guise ('Bell'), Woburn Sands ('Weathercock' & 'Swan'), Bow Brickhill (Old Station), Fenny Stratford (Aylesbury St/ return George Street), Bletchley (Albert Street and Station). Kempston Hardwick was considered close enough to Chimney Corner on the main Bedford-Ampthill Road, served by Services 63, 140, 141 & 142.
Bedford to Aspley Guise and Woburn Sands were already served by a frequent [for those days] service on Service 141 (Bedford-Aylesbury) and Bedford-Marston Moretaine by Service 158. The main housing area of Stewartby was closer to Stewartby turn on the Bedford-Ampthill Road (Service 141), than to the station. The other places only had infrequent bus service, largely due to the train service. Bletchley was only a small town then, and did not attract much custom comparatively.

The Bletchley-Oxford (121) and Bedford-Cambridge (428) services were licensed, as these sections were lightly loaded and only required a small number of buses (about every 2 hours) and no peak boosting.

The X5 was certainly not a 'Beeching' bus - it was put on as a commercial venture in the 1990s after considerable development in the main places on the line of route, and in particular Milton Keynes, which was not much of a consideration in '67 or '73.

The Bedford-Oxford service (no. 131), did not follow the line of rail between Bedford and Bicester (via Newport Pagnell, Stony Stratford and Buckingham) and the Oxford-Cambridge coach not at all (travelling via Luton and Aylesbury)

As the @ChiefPlanner points out, both the Watford-St Albans and Bedford-Bletchley lines required too much bus crew resource to replace than was available at the time.

GB71

I would just like to thank those who have replied, particularly the comprehensive reply from @RT4038 - I think I had read somewhere that United Counties (UCOC) had for some reason not been able to provide a service. I am gobsmacked (but this is my own ignorance of the era) that UCOC struggled with resources and recruitment - I would never have suspected that was the reason, so thank you for that insight.

I was still surprised that there were double the number of trains in 1967 on this section - given the relative insignificance of Bletchley in 1967. Am I just right in assuming that the other sections were/are even more rural than this section?

A0wen

On Moderation
This is not quite right. There was no (physical) inability to serve the villages as such; @Bletchleyite is quite right that the problem (twice - in '67 and '73) was that the United Counties bus company was unable to resource the service due to severe staff shortage, not helped by additional capacity required for schools traffic. A plague of cancellations in the area on other services for this reason caused the Traffic Commissioner to refuse the licence applications.

The replacement 'Limited Stop' service would have run hourly plus peak extras Bedford (Bus Station), Stewartby (P.O.), Marston Moretaine (Lidlington Turn) [for Millbrook, which was situated in green fields], Lidlington (P.O.), Brogborough (Highfield Crescent) [which was the settlement that Ridgmont Station served], Aspley Guise ('Bell'), Woburn Sands ('Weathercock' & 'Swan'), Bow Brickhill (Old Station), Fenny Stratford (Aylesbury St/ return George Street), Bletchley (Albert Street and Station). Kempston Hardwick was considered close enough to Chimney Corner on the main Bedford-Ampthill Road, served by Services 63, 140, 141 & 142.
Bedford to Aspley Guise and Woburn Sands were already served by a frequent [for those days] service on Service 141 (Bedford-Aylesbury) and Bedford-Marston Moretaine by Service 158. The main housing area of Stewartby was closer to Stewartby turn on the Bedford-Ampthill Road (Service 141), than to the station. The other places only had infrequent bus service, largely due to the train service. Bletchley was only a small town then, and did not attract much custom comparatively.

The Bletchley-Oxford (121) and Bedford-Cambridge (428) services were licensed, as these sections were lightly loaded and only required a small number of buses (about every 2 hours) and no peak boosting.

The X5 was certainly not a 'Beeching' bus - it was put on as a commercial venture in the 1990s after considerable development in the main places on the line of route, and in particular Milton Keynes, which was not much of a consideration in '67 or '73.

The Bedford-Oxford service (no. 131), did not follow the line of rail between Bedford and Bicester (via Newport Pagnell, Stony Stratford and Buckingham) and the Oxford-Cambridge coach not at all (travelling via Luton and Aylesbury)

As the @ChiefPlanner points out, both the Watford-St Albans and Bedford-Bletchley lines required too much bus crew resource to replace than was available at the time.

To be fair, I didn't say it was a physical inability - nor was that what I meant.

In terms of the other routes I cited, it was in part to make the point there were existing bus links between Oxford & Bedford and Oxford and Cambridge alongside the rail provision, notwithstanding the fact they didn't necessarily shadow the rail route - as indeed the current X5 doesn't shadow the rail route.

The elephant in the room with the rail line is that (and I'm only looking at Bedford - Oxford for the avoidance of doubt) there are only a couple of places of any size / significance en route - Bletchley (and now MK more generally) and Bicester. The bus does at least mitigate the fact the rail line missed Buckingham by serving there as well.

I think the X5 was part of a wider expansion of longer distance coach services by United Counties in the late 80s, which followed deregulation in many ways. Prior to that UC's longer distance coach services appeared to be a bit of a mixed bag, with inheritances from the likes of Birch Bros.

I was still surprised that there were double the number of trains in 1967 on this section - given the relative insignificance of Bletchley in 1967. Am I just right in assuming that the other sections were/are even more rural than this section?

In 1967 Bletchley wasn't "insignificant" - don't forget it was Milton Keynes' main railway station until Central opened in 1982.

Bletchley was a main junction and had some Inter City services at that point.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think the X5 was part of a wider expansion of longer distance coach services by United Counties in the late 80s, which followed deregulation in many ways. Prior to that UC's longer distance coach services appeared to be a bit of a mixed bag, with inheritances from the likes of Birch Bros.

The X5 was started by Stagecoach in September 1995.

A0wen

On Moderation
The X5 was started by Stagecoach in September 1995.

True - but the Coachlinks brand (which X5 was part of) started out in the mid-80s. I've found online this leaflet which details some of the routes in place in 1986 - which shows the route the X5 takes now was largely covered by other routes back then. https://picclick.co.uk/United-Count...ton-Nottingham-353308890496.html#&gid=1&pid=1

X3 - Northampton - Bedford - St Neots - Cambridge
X32 - Northampton - Milton Keynes - Buckingham - Bicester - Oxford

RT4038

Established Member
I would just like to thank those who have replied, particularly the comprehensive reply from @RT4038 - I think I had read somewhere that United Counties (UCOC) had for some reason not been able to provide a service. I am gobsmacked (but this is my own ignorance of the era) that UCOC struggled with resources and recruitment - I would never have suspected that was the reason, so thank you for that insight.

United Counties, and indeed most other bus companies in and around the London-Bristol-Midlands triangle (and some far outside, also!) suffered from staffing shortages in that era. The basic reason was that bus crew wages and working conditions could not compete with other industries in the area, during a time of full employment. The expedient of increasing wages was not available, due to the (by then outdated) regulation of timetables and fares, making reductions of the former and increases of the latter difficult and slow to implement, and the sharp decline in passengers in the late 50s/early 60s caused by televisions, fridges and car ownership. Bus crew wages were also negotiated nationally, with the result that in Padstow and Pickering bus work was some of the best paying work available, whereas in Bedford and Oxford staff could not be got for love nor money. Bus companies could improve wages by increasing efficiency, but the main method available was increased one-man operation, fought by the older (majority) members of staff and constricted by the purchase and delivery of suitable vehicles.
At the time of both the '67 & '73 closure attempts, Bedford Depot would have been about 20% short of crew. Bletchley, a small depot, probably not much better. The Bedford-Bletchley replacement bus service required (I think) 3 vehicles all day + 3 extra during the peak period. At the '67 attempt, this would been exacerbated by the two depots requiring to find crew for the extra 2 buses (one each) on the Oxford and Cambridge services (two places with severe shortages of their own!).
It is hardly surprising that United Counties didn't go into the replacement service with alacrity - finding the six extra vehicles which would have been one-man from the start, taking vehicles away from the conversion of existing services, and finding the additional drivers near impossible, with adverse effect on their other services. New vehicles, if the capital was available, which it wasn't, would have had a three year lead time, if they could be manufactured at all. At the time of the '73 attempt United Counties was reeling from the effects of purchasing Luton Corporation Transport, with its attendant staffing and particularly vehicle problems.
With the costs of such 'peak' boosting [vehicles and staff only used for a small part of the day] probably rendering the whole service uneconomic, the bus company would have had a feeling that the Railways were trying to offload their financial problems onto them!

Amazing as it might seem now, the Bedford-Ridgmont section of the line was lined with brickyards, pouring noxious gasses into the atmosphere, as anyone who lived in Bedford in that era would have smelt all the time. There were two large brickworks at Kempston Hardwick (?Eastwoods? and Coronation), the super works at Stewartby (London Brick), the Marston Valley works at Ridgmont (Brogborough) and several smaller yards. These were large employers, particularly of Polish, Italian and Pakistani immigrants, the descendants of which are still in Bedford to this day. Some lived in company housing at Stewartby and Brogborough, but many were conveyed by contract buses of Horseshoe and SM Ementon, or travelled by train. Of course the yards started to mechanise and employment reduced, and then pollution control started to close the traditional brick making down, to the current positon of there being none. Bedford also has a number of very popular private schools, which contributed lots of traffic from the affluent areas around Woburn Sands & Aspley Guise, and the area west of Bletchley. The other sections, Bletchley-Oxford and Bedford-Cambridge were much more rural in nature, and the Bedford-Sandy section particularly well catered for by buses.

To be fair, I didn't say it was a physical inability - nor was that what I meant.
Apologies - I thought you were referring to the inability to serve the villages, rather than the (end) towns, which the bus company couldn't connect either, for the reasons above.

Bletchley was a main junction and had some Inter City services at that point.

Bletchley was 'relatively insignificant' as a place compared to Bedford, and was not a main junction from a passenger traffic point of view at that time. It was significant from a railway operating point of view, being the location of a locomotive depot and junction. I suspect the few Inter City services that did stop there were more for parcels and mail traffic than passengers.

Milton Keynes was only incorporated in 1967, and was contributing insignificant traffic by the '73 attempt. Bletchley did have some overspill housing (Lakes Estate) and industry, and was clearly a significant traffic objective from Woburn Sands. I recall that Bletchley booking office had single tickets to Woburn Sands issued on an 'Ultimatic' machine, which shows the sales must have been a fair few. At that time the branch only did single tickets within the branch, so presumably a London-Woburn Sands or vice versa journey was rebooked at Bletchley, which might account for the number of single ticket sales.

Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member
Did Bletchley-Bedford also survive to some extent for the brickworks along the line of route? Both for the freight traffic generated and for the workforce travelling to/from them.

nw1

Established Member
Bletchley was 'relatively insignificant' as a place compared to Bedford, and was not a main junction from a passenger traffic point of view at that time. It was significant from a railway operating point of view, being the location of a locomotive depot and junction. I suspect the few Inter City services that did stop there were more for parcels and mail traffic than passengers.

Milton Keynes was only incorporated in 1967, and was contributing insignificant traffic by the '73 attempt. Bletchley did have some overspill housing (Lakes Estate) and industry, and was clearly a significant traffic objective from Woburn Sands. I recall that Bletchley booking office had single tickets to Woburn Sands issued on an 'Ultimatic' machine, which shows the sales must have been a fair few. At that time the branch only did single tickets within the branch, so presumably a London-Woburn Sands or vice versa journey was rebooked at Bletchley, which might account for the number of single ticket sales.

I was very surprised to find out recently that Milton Keynes Central had only opened as recently as 1982. I'd have guessed early 70s, certainly I remember Milton Keynes as a place existed a number of years before 1982.

If you look at the ABC timetables on timetableworld.com for November 1981 (see https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer?token=66d160cc-d943-40f6-be38-842d1602845c0), six down trains called at Bletchley per day, all in the morning, and four of them at five-minute intervals from 0918 to 0933. That was your lot for InterCity, and aside from that there was one semi-fast and one stopping local service. However there was a huge frequency increase in the peaks on the local trains from 2 to 10 trains per hour.

Travelling north from the area must have been difficult, as the first available interchange otherwise for InterCity was at Rugby, and that, if I remember right, only had relatively few trains calling there. (Maybe it had more before Milton Keynes Central opened, though).

GB71

I grew up in the Milton Keynes area from the late 70's to mid 80's and others may comment further but I believe MKC was very late in opening because of a funding row between the then very financially stretched British Rail and the Milton Keynes Development Corporation - BR did not see the need for MKC believing Bletchley to be perfectly adequate and it was only when funding was split that they agreed to build it.

I always remember the first year it opened BR made a big thing about how "Milton Keynes joins the InterCity network" but that the service in its first year was abysmal - 6 northbound InterCity services a day and 5 southbound InterCity calls was all the new station received in 82/83 and the main sleeper servie to Perth coninued to call Bletchley and not MKC for some unknown reason - MKC in its first year of opening had a owrse InterCity service than Bletchley had received the year before.
I was very surprised to find out recently that Milton Keynes Central had only opened as recently as 1982. I'd have guessed early 70s, certainly I remember Milton Keynes as a place existed a number of years before 1982.

If you look at the ABC timetables on timetableworld.com for November 1981 (see https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer?token=66d160cc-d943-40f6-be38-842d1602845c0), six down trains called at Bletchley per day, all in the morning, and four of them at five-minute intervals from 0918 to 0933. That was your lot for InterCity, and aside from that there was one semi-fast and one stopping local service. However there was a huge frequency increase in the peaks on the local trains from 2 to 10 trains per hour.

Travelling north from the area must have been difficult, as the first available interchange otherwise for InterCity was at Rugby, and that, if I remember right, only had relatively few trains calling there. (Maybe it had more before Milton Keynes Central opened, though).

RT4038

Established Member
Did Bletchley-Bedford also survive to some extent for the brickworks along the line of route? Both for the freight traffic generated and for the workforce travelling to/from them.
As explained above, the passenger train service survived purely because replacement bus service could not be arranged at the time, and then the appetite for closure evaporated for rail in general.

Brickyard workforce mainly travelled by contract bus/coach, not the railway.

thedbdiboy

The reason the 'appetite' for closures ceased was that from 1974 the Government replaced the piecemeal system of grant aids for various routes with a single 'public service obligation' grant (the PSO) which was paid in return for BR maintaining passenger services at 1974 levels. This is why the network we have today seems arbitrary round the margins - no Keswick, Ilfracombe, Winchester-Alton, Minehead, yet Bedford-Bletchley and St Albans survived. The key was simply to still have a service at the end of 1973. After 1974 the only closures were where consent had previously been granted subject to road improvements (e.g. Alston branch 1976), where a line came under PTE finding and this was withdrawn (e.g. Kilmacolm, Clayton West in 1983), or where a new station or route replaced an old one.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The reason the 'appetite' for closures ceased was that from 1974 the Government replaced the piecemeal system of grant aids for various routes with a single 'public service obligation' grant (the PSO) which was paid in return for BR maintaining passenger services at 1974 levels. This is why the network we have today seems arbitrary round the margins - no Keswick, Ilfracombe, Winchester-Alton, Minehead, yet Bedford-Bletchley and St Albans survived. The key was simply to still have a service at the end of 1973. After 1974 the only closures were where consent had previously been granted subject to road improvements (e.g. Alston branch 1976), where a line came under PTE finding and this was withdrawn (e.g. Kilmacolm, Clayton West in 1983), or where a new station or route replaced an old one.
I'd largely agree with that, but Sinfin was a post-1974 closure that didn't fit any of the above. Possibly it didn't qualify to be part of the PSO network, as it was only opened to passengers in 1976.

thedbdiboy

As you say Sinfin was also a post-1974 opening - it didn't open until 1976. There are some outliers where lines or stations closed because retaining them would have required investment that couldn't be justified in BR's cash-strapped days - e.g. East Brixton (deterioration of platforms); Croxley Green (Ascot Way road severing the line); Eridge - Tunbridge Wells (Grove Junction renewal); or the WCML Trent Valley stations that didn't fit in with the renewal for Pendolinos.

nw1

Established Member
As you say Sinfin was also a post-1974 opening - it didn't open until 1976. There are some outliers where lines or stations closed because retaining them would have required investment that couldn't be justified in BR's cash-strapped days - e.g. East Brixton (deterioration of platforms); Croxley Green (Ascot Way road severing the line); Eridge - Tunbridge Wells (Grove Junction renewal); or the WCML Trent Valley stations that didn't fit in with the renewal for Pendolinos.

I remember the Eridge/Tunbridge Wells closure, it came around the time I first observed East Grinstead/Uckfield dividers (as they then were, with 3D units) at Clapham Junction in late 1985 - though oddly, they didn't stop there, the only Victoria services to not stop at Clapham except the Brighton express and Gatwick Express. (EDIT - actually not so odd, I remember they were pathed out of Victoria at XX24 so a Clapham stop for these slow-accelerating diesel services would have caused potential delay to the following Gatwick Express at XX30).

I did wonder why they were closing a line as late as the mid 1980s. That said, while I don't really support any line closure - including this one - I am actually surprised that line managed to survive Beeching. It can't have been too profitable as presumably it only really served the small (I'd guess) number of people wishing to travel from Uckfield or Crowborough (and the villages) through to Tunbridge Wells or further afield in Kent.

I grew up in the Milton Keynes area from the late 70's to mid 80's and others may comment further but I believe MKC was very late in opening because of a funding row between the then very financially stretched British Rail and the Milton Keynes Development Corporation - BR did not see the need for MKC believing Bletchley to be perfectly adequate and it was only when funding was split that they agreed to build it.

I always remember the first year it opened BR made a big thing about how "Milton Keynes joins the InterCity network" but that the service in its first year was abysmal - 6 northbound InterCity services a day and 5 southbound InterCity calls was all the new station received in 82/83 and the main sleeper servie to Perth coninued to call Bletchley and not MKC for some unknown reason - MKC in its first year of opening had a owrse InterCity service than Bletchley had received the year before.

I think MKC had improved by 1983/4 though, I remember spending a day at Stafford that year and seem to recall a number of the IC services calling at Stafford also calling MKC.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
March-Spalding line in 1982.

Taunton

Established Member
United Counties, and indeed most other bus companies in and around the London-Bristol-Midlands triangle (and some far outside, also!) suffered from staffing shortages in that era. The basic reason was that bus crew wages and working conditions could not compete with other industries in the are ... Bus crew wages were also negotiated nationally, with the result that in Padstow and Pickering bus work was some of the best paying work available, whereas in Bedford and Oxford staff could not be got for love nor money.
This was a common feature of the 1960s-70s in several countrywide organisations, mainly nationalised, and the railway itself was also notably impacted by it, where pay rates were set nationally. It was compensated to an extent by almost unlimited overtime opportunities in the affected areas, and (buses in particular) by office staff being expected to help out, outside their normal office hours, something which appealed to enthusiasts. The unreliability of missing services, particularly on Sundays, was a continuing part of the loss of patronage - something which seems to be coming back to the railway nowadays.

RT4038

Established Member
This was a common feature of the 1960s-70s in several countrywide organisations, mainly nationalised, and the railway itself was also notably impacted by it, where pay rates were set nationally. It was compensated to an extent by almost unlimited overtime opportunities in the affected areas, and (buses in particular) by office staff being expected to help out, outside their normal office hours, something which appealed to enthusiasts. The unreliability of missing services, particularly on Sundays, was a continuing part of the loss of patronage - something which seems to be coming back to the railway nowadays.

There may have been unlimited opportunities for overtime, both for platform and office staff, but this did not prevent copious quantities of mileage being lost, esp. over the summer crew holiday period.

At United Counties at least, the Sunday service was very reliable, as the schedule was less than about a quarter of the weekday service

Taunton

Established Member
There may have been unlimited opportunities for overtime, both for platform and office staff, but this did not prevent copious quantities of mileage being lost, esp. over the summer crew holiday period.

At United Counties at least, the Sunday service was very reliable, as the schedule was less than about a quarter of the weekday service
More a bus than railway thing, but when I was in Scotland in the 1970s it was the opposite, the "country" buses especially on Sundays virtually gave up their published town services, through what crews were available being used on the mainstream longer runs - colleague in Perth said you hardly saw a town bus on Sunday, and if you did nobody was in it because passengers had long given up. The published timetable actually had the same frequency as weekdays, though starting several hours later.

As well as bus and rail, the post office was similarly affected in areas like the West Midlands, likewise for the unskilled portering and catering etc jobs at hospitals. On the railway it all came to a climax with the Clapham accident and the hours the depleted signal staff were working.

RT4038

Established Member
More a bus than railway thing, but when I was in Scotland in the 1970s it was the opposite, the "country" buses especially on Sundays virtually gave up their published town services, through what crews were available being used on the mainstream longer runs - colleague in Perth said you hardly saw a town bus on Sunday, and if you did nobody was in it because passengers had long given up. The published timetable actually had the same frequency as weekdays, though starting several hours later.

As well as bus and rail, the post office was similarly affected in areas like the West Midlands, likewise for the unskilled portering and catering etc jobs at hospitals. On the railway it all came to a climax with the Clapham accident and the hours the depleted signal staff were working.

This is rather getting away from the OP, although a subject to itself. Perhaps the mods wish to move it to a separate thread in the Buses & Coaches section?

In the mid-seventies, owing to the severe staffing shortage, the Scottish Bus Group (who negotiated separately from the English & Welsh companies) and the Midland 'Red' negotiated a Monday to Friday working week, with Saturdays and Sundays voluntary overtime, in exchange for agreement to employ Part Time staff from the outside, on weekends. The idea being that this got a reliable service for workers and schoolchildren and a potential vast untapped source of weekend labour from other employment. It was a complete disaster, as this vast source did not materialise and Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday duties were very difficult to cover and, as you point out, the service collapsed at those times. The bus companies were susceptible to all sorts of staff blackmail, as the railways with their voluntary Sundays are today. All this started to be dismantled after De-regulation and privatisation.

However, getting back to the bus company in the eye of the storm of the Bedford-Bletchley closure, United Counties never adopted this type of rota. Indeed, in the early 60s, the Sunday train service between Bedford & Bletchley was replaced by United Counties Service 165.

Taunton

Established Member
The S&D closure in January 1966 fell through at the last minute because the replacing bus contractor, Wakes of Sparkford, in a deeply rural area (and in winter, when agricultural labour was classically more available) said with only a few days to go that they could not staff the rail replacement service, so the trains had to continue for a few months. Although an independent company, they had other established bus routes, and I think paid national union rates. Not only was this residual rail service meaningless and pretty unused, so was the rail replacement bus when finally got going, it only lasted a short while. Apart from most of the area now using cars anyway, the established bus services went in different directions to more meaningful places like Wells, Yeovil, or direct to Bristol, which is where the population wanted to go rather than along the rail line.

nw1

Established Member

I certainly remember that town services were almost non-existent in Guildford in the mid 80s on a Sunday (OK this is a bit later but still NBC days), the various estates instead being served by diversions of longer-distance services - the 453 Guildford-Aldershot-Winchester being a clear example of a circuitous route which covered various disparate Mon-Sat routes including a couple of Guildford town services.

Typical Sunday service at the time on a longer distance service that would be hourly on weekdays, was something like 4 or 5 buses a day, on a 2 hour-4 hour-2 hour-4 hour pattern or similar (for example 0900-1100-1500-1700, due to the same vehicle interworking various routes on a 6 hour repeating cycle).

There are still some routes which have NO Sunday service despite a regular hourly weekday service. The 70 Midhurst-Guildford is one example, with Midhurst-Haslemere completely uncovered, surprising for adjacent towns in an area where people might wish to use the bus for leisure purposes on Sunday, not to mention Sunday shopping. Ironic that this section had a better service in the days when Sunday trading was restricted!

RT4038

Established Member
The S&D closure in January 1966 fell through at the last minute because the replacing bus contractor, Wakes of Sparkford, in a deeply rural area (and in winter, when agricultural labour was classically more available) said with only a few days to go that they could not staff the rail replacement service, so the trains had to continue for a few months. Although an independent company, they had other established bus routes, and I think paid national union rates. Not only was this residual rail service meaningless and pretty unused, so was the rail replacement bus when finally got going, it only lasted a short while. Apart from most of the area now using cars anyway, the established bus services went in different directions to more meaningful places like Wells, Yeovil, or direct to Bristol, which is where the population wanted to go rather than along the rail line.
I think there was a company called ?Somervale Coaches which was set up for some of this S&D rail replacement work.

As you say, this does indicate the difficulty in recruiting bus staff at this time.

Even prior to the 'residual' service timetable, the S&D trains had been running pretty empty. Which is why the line was proposed for closure. The busier sections of route (Bath-Radstock-Midsomer Norton-Shepton Mallet, Blandford-Bournemouth, Glastonbury-Bridgwater) were mostly paralleled by existing, more frequent, more convenient, bus services, and, as you point out, the rest of the line did not cater for the natural passenger traffic flows into Yeovil, Wells, Bridgwater etc. It is hardly surprising that the bus services were withdrawn immediately the three year rail subsidy finished.

It really amazes me how many enthusiasts slate the short period that rail replacement services operated after line closures, as if they had some 'right' to exist, or that it was some fault of buses. 10 passengers per train makes a massive loss for the railways. 10 passengers per bus makes a lesser loss, but still a loss, for the bus company. Unless the railways were going to be legally responsible for the bus company's losses for ever (which they weren't, and that was a Government decision) it was inevitable that the service would disappear in short order.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Yes, Somervale, another local independent firm, eventually took over after Wakes fell through, and the S&D closed. Originally it had been for the area major bus company, Southern National, but they hadn't been able to do it either. Actually it was in a bit of a no-mans-land between different major bus company depots and areas (tells you something in itself), which I believe has impacted rail closures in a similar situation elsewhere. Not wishing to disturb a thread about Bedfordshire further, it's described here

SOMERVALE COACHES (countrybus.com)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.