• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vending machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Are those the machines with stacks of bars behind glass, with a drawer at the bottom of each stack that you pull out? I remember those. I'm sure the bars were a special size and shape specifically for those machines.
Yes they were.
They were, think it was 20p in the late 70's/early 80's same bar would cost 10p in the shops, but it was bigger at the stations.

It was like white chocolate with rice crispie bits in it IIRC.
It was dairy milk with the rice crispie bits in, though I understand there was a white chocolate version at some point.

Found this piccy, on the web, of the machine at the National Railway Museum in York.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Did the stations have secure storage for your penny farthing back in those days?
No idea, I could never balance well enough to ride any type of bike. And before anyone asks - I could not afford a horse + carriage.....- not even a third-hand stagecoach.

superjohn

Last time I used one (at Bourne End station) I thought I'd get a bottle of Sprite, gave me a bottle that was 5 months out of date. That was a waste of £1.50
It would have been a ’Best before’ date on something like that. The worst that could happen is that it would be less fizzy than a new bottle.

Agreed it shouldn’t have been in the machine but there was no need to waste it.

M60lad

Funny you should say that as there's about 3 I think it is on the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly Station above the Escaltors to Metrolink that have been converted to sell Face Coverings/Masks.

J-P_L

Convert them to sell face coverings/masks... although, you're supposed to wear them on the station now as well, so at places like Leeds you'd need to be wearing one in order to buy one.

Haven't used one for 'food' this Millennium, I think!

There’s a vending machine appeared next to the Boots on the concourse at Leeds selling face masks (disposable and reusable) and bottles of sanitiser, although there’s a table beyond the barriers with staff giving masks out to those without them.

Some of the vending machines at York have masks and sanitiser for sale as well.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Funny you should say that as there's about 3 I think it is on the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly Station above the Escaltors to Metrolink that have been converted to sell Face Coverings/Masks.
There’s a vending machine appeared next to the Boots on the concourse at Leeds selling face masks (disposable and reusable) and bottles of sanitiser, although there’s a table beyond the barriers with staff giving masks out to those without them.

Some of the vending machines at York have masks and sanitiser for sale as well.

Good to know, thanks. I can use Leeds Station as a walking route to/from my flat, but I think you're supposed to wear a mask at all times in there now, which is awkward when you wear glasses (the faff putting it on means I usually leave with it on and leave it on throughout).

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Good to know, thanks. I can use Leeds Station as a walking route to/from my flat, but I think you're supposed to wear a mask at all times in there now, which is awkward when you wear glasses (the faff putting it on means I usually leave with it on and leave it on throughout).

That's actually not true, though doubtless the station staff will try to tell you otherwise and continue to make up their own rules. The legislation only refers to "enclosed transport hubs" so you should be fine not wearing a mask whilst on the platform.

route101

Established Member
It would have been a ’Best before’ date on something like that. The worst that could happen is that it would be less fizzy than a new bottle.

Agreed it shouldn’t have been in the machine but there was no need to waste it.

Had that a few times from vending machines, i guess they are not used much.

One in Upminister last week , took my money and the pepsi. Couldnt get my hand in to reach it, suppose it saved me a sugary drink !

DelayRepay

Established Member
When I used to commute, if I'd been out for drinks after work I'd sometimes buy something from the vending machine when I got back to my home station, to eat on the way home.

I am not sure a big bag of monster munch, a kit-kat and a bottle of coke was the healthiest supper but there was nothing else open. So I think the machines serve a useful purpose when the station shops are closed.

We have one at work for night shift workers that sells sandwiches and a few microwave meals. The canteen staff fill it each day and it does seem to be appreciated by people working through the night.

I am very suspicious of the hot drinks machines though. Why would anyone want to drink coffee that's been dispensed through the same nozzle as chicken soup??

takno

Established Member
I am very suspicious of the hot drinks machines though. Why would anyone want to drink coffee that's been dispensed through the same nozzle as chicken soup??
You wouldn't. You'd want the chicken soup

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I don't entirely understand why vending machines are so rubbish. The Costa machines demonstrate that machine-produced coffee needn't be rubbish (I actually think it's slightly nicer than the coffee from their manual machines in the shops). It's not a big step to add a contactless touch pad and Chip & PIN machine to one of those.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't entirely understand why vending machines are so rubbish. The Costa machines demonstrate that machine-produced coffee needn't be rubbish (I actually think it's slightly nicer than the coffee from their manual machines in the shops). It's not a big step to add a contactless touch pad and Chip & PIN machine to one of those.
I assume you mean the ones in the likes of Co-op stores and petrol stations, wher you're expected to choose the drink you want on a touch screen then take it to a counter to pay?

If so, very similar ones do exist, though not at railway stations, and are generally referred to as "Bean-2-Cup" because they actually grind and brew coffee beans. The rubbish ones simply pour water over instant coffee powder.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If so, very similar ones do exist, though not at railway stations, and are generally referred to as "Bean-2-Cup" because they actually grind and brew coffee beans. The rubbish ones simply pour water over instant coffee powder.

Many of them are still rubbish, though. I have a feeling the issue may be that the Costa machines use fresh milk whereas the others use either powdered or UHT.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Many of them are still rubbish, though. I have a feeling the issue may be that the Costa machines use fresh milk whereas the others use either powdered or UHT.
That would make sense. I imagine it drives up costs significantly to have to provide refrigeration for milk and heating for water in the same unit so they view UHT as a simpler solution.

route101

Established Member
Was in Japan last year and they take vending machines very seroiusly . Here its different, lack of choice and not used as much.

philthetube

Established Member
That's actually not true, though doubtless the station staff will try to tell you otherwise and continue to make up their own rules. The legislation only refers to "enclosed transport hubs" so you should be fine not wearing a mask whilst on the platform.
Unless it is a public right of way, network rail have the right to make you wear whatever they like.

Mikey C

Established Member
That would make sense. I imagine it drives up costs significantly to have to provide refrigeration for milk and heating for water in the same unit so they view UHT as a simpler solution.
Fresh milk means you have to constantly monitor the milk to make sure it's not gone bad, and presumably only refill when the milk has run out, which is fine inside a shop or hotel but a nightmare in an external vending machine!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fresh milk means you have to constantly monitor the milk to make sure it's not gone bad, and presumably only refill when the milk has run out, which is fine inside a shop or hotel but a nightmare in an external vending machine!

Very true. We had one in our old office, and we soon stopped filling the milk part because it'd always end up getting left and going rancid! Americano only (with the milk in the fridge) after that.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Very true. We had one in our old office, and we soon stopped filling the milk part because it'd always end up getting left and going rancid! Americano only (with the milk in the fridge) after that.
Did the machine have the functionality to work out that the milk had turned, or did it just blindly ruin coffee until the milk was emptied and refilled?

Only the most important and most rail-pertinent discussions, here at Rail UK Forums :p

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Sometime in the 1960's , Swansea High Street had a cumbersome vending machine which sold hot chips - cooked in the machine. You had to wait a few mins , but you got a cardboard pack of hot chips. Very innovative.

We returned some time later to find no machine and large black scar on the Portland stone facade - the machine had burnt itself out.

py_megapixel

Established Member
All this talk of bizarre vending machines reminds me of the hotel I stayed in on a trip to Stratford-on-Avon, which had an incredibly peculiar Ben & Jerry's ice cream vending machine. The design of it was essentially a chest freezer divided into several compartments, with a motorised lid and a suction device to pick up the ice cream and drop it into a chute!

I've looked for videos online; this one is a different brand of ice cream but otherwise seems to be identical

superjohn

Brussels Midi used to have a large vending machine in the window of the small supermarket near the Eurostar terminal end of the station. It contained a much bigger selection of items than you normally find in them. It disappeared a few years ago.

At Düsseldorf Hbf there used to be an even bigger one in the lobby area of the old toilets (the area that is now McDonalds). That had huge compartments and a conveyor belt system that brought the various items to the collection point, including multipacks of toilet rolls and other such large stuff. That one vanished at least ten years ago.

I still like the Smullers dispensers that can still be found at larger stations in the Netherlands. The “Kaassoufle” deep fried cheese thing is a favourite of mine but probably very bad for me.

Vending machines of all types have always seemed much more common on the continent.

James H

A decade and a half ago there was a pizza vending machine opposite Southwark tube station

route101

Established Member
A decade and a half ago there was a pizza vending machine opposite Southwark tube station

Ive seen one of them in Germany!

Ben and Jerrys ice cream vending machine , seen a few of them about.

The costa coffee machines , seen one getting cleaned , kinda put me off with the cleaing chemicals going through it!

takno

Established Member
At Düsseldorf Hbf there used to be an even bigger one in the lobby area of the old toilets (the area that is now McDonalds). That had huge compartments and a conveyor belt system that brought the various items to the collection point, including multipacks of toilet rolls and other such large stuff. That one vanished at least ten years ago.
Possibly a stupid question, but I seem to remember Koln having a similar sounding machine for left luggage. Could it have been the same thing but converted for selling stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.