• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Venice-Mestre "Tram"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Trams in Venice and Mestre are rubber-tired, with a single guiderail embedded in the pavement.
https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-venice-tram.htm

Yes - and the single rail in the road looks like a rail but the road wheels are rubber tyres. So is it really a tram or a guided trolleybus ?

The thing that makes it look more tram-like is the use of a pantograph to pick up current but the wheels are most definitely rubber tired and run on a roadway so is it really a tram ?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think this is a Translohr, as also seen on several of the lines in Paris advertised as trams. Having sampled it there I'd say it is far short of a real tram in passenger space and ride quality, though it can go round tighter curves.

Hornet

Translohr Tram and 'Points' Clermont Ferrand.

14.JPG 15.JPG

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Well you learn something everyday, I had never heard of this before. Does look more like a tram rather than a bus or trolley bus.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I think the use of a pantograph as opposed to a trolley (maybe it should be termed a pantograph bus) makes it look more tram-like.

etr221

My take is that it is a mono-rail and street-running equivalent to the pneumatic tired Paris (and elsewhere) Metro trains; and so a street-running train, in other words a tram.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There was also the Bombardier GLT or TVR system that use the same idea of a rubber tyres and a single guidance rail, but wasn't compatible with Translohr. There were a couple of routes in France, one equipped with double trolley poles that could also operate as a conventional unguided trolleybus. However there were some accidents on the transition between guided and unguided, one of which resulted in part of the vehicle colliding with an overhead line support. It was reported that energy consumption was significantly higher than a conventional tram, probably due to the increased rolling resistance of rubber tyres.

To my mind these systems have the disadvantages of both the tram (high cost and inflexibility of fixed infrastructure) and the bus (high energy consumption, limited vehicle size). Bombardier seems to have lost interest in the system and at least one of the operating routes is to be abandoned.

MarcVD

Caen - abandoned night now, undergoing transformation to classical tram.
Nancy - still in operation, with the help of a few vehicles tranferred from Caen, to be transformed in a real tram in the next few years. Both from Bombardier.

Translohr (now Alstom) still has Clermont Ferrand as Well as a few lines in the Paris suburbs, promised to Alstom in exchange of the Translohr take-over.

The biggest problem with rubber-tired trams is that in guided mode, all wheels pass exactly at the same place, and no other support than steel resists to such treatment. Asphalt, concrete... all wear out very rapidly, needing constant repairs.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the version in Nancy (and formerly Caen) was more a guided bus- the vehicles can operate away from the guide rail as they have a steering wheel. In Nancy they even use a trolley wire system (the Caen ones had a diesel engine on board for away from wires)

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
My take is that it is a mono-rail and street-running equivalent to the pneumatic tired Paris (and elsewhere) Metro trains; and so a street-running train, in other words a tram.

The rail is a guide rail only though - the vehicle's wheels run on the road and not rails so although it does look tram-like (shape and pantograph to collect current) I can't see how it can be classified as a tram when it doesn't run on rails. It also feels more like a bus than a tram to ride on.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Many mono-rails are of course also rubber-tyre vehicles. The tyres are hidden behind the shrouding underneath the vehicle, and run along the top and sides of a concrete beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.