• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very disappointing Eurostar Business Premier Service Journey Amsterdam to London

Crisso

I thought I would finish my recent trip to the Netherlands by treating myself to the so called First Class Business Premier accommodation on the direct Eurostar service from Amsterdam Centraal to St. Pancras International departing 08.45am, which wasn’t cheap but I thought of it as a special treat.
I was aware of the basic check-in procedure at Amsterdam Centraal, even for Business Premier Customers, which really didn’t worry me since, I was looking forward to the ‘Pullman‘ standard of service on entraining, starting with an expected champagne Breakfast. Alas, the fairly disinterested on board staff simply offered us a drink, including the aforesaid glass of champagne, together with a packet of fairly bland crisps! On asking - what about Breakfast? - since that was the appropriate meal for that time of departure, I was simply told we would be served a Lunch after departing Brussels - just over 2 hours time away! Incidentally, there were no offers of drink refills, etc., and the same staff just vanished until they were replaced by their colleagues at Brussels. The new staff then served, at around 11am local time, which is very early for lunch anyway, a very uninspiring airline style Lunch meal frankly, only compatible with what is normally served in Economy class aircraft, despite being attributed to some celebrity chef. Incidentally, I only obtained a further can of Lager, because I asked for it - no other drink was offered with the meal, apart from tea or coffee at the conclusion of same.
Surely, with the timing of this service, it would have been possible to supply say juices, hot beverages and croissants from the on board Galley, on leaving Amsterdam and Rotterdam until the full hot meal of say, a brunch rather than lunch style main course could be subsequently supplied at Brussels, where I guess the main catering Service is based for that route.
I‘m sorry to go on and on about the on board Food and Drink Service, but for the high price I paid for the top of the three classes of service, I really expected a lot more.

Otherwise, the seating was very comfortable as expected and, the arrival itself was only 5 minutes late at London.

I've used Eurostar numerous times in the past usually Standard Class and have previously always been enthusiastic and satisfied with the service until now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
What does that particular service advertise for on-board catering? Just curious for a future trip, if you could supply a link please.

DeverseSam

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would definitely want to be offered a hot drink rather than champagne at 08:45am!

Starmill

Veteran Member
What does that particular service advertise for on-board catering? Just curious for a future trip, if you could supply a link please.
Enjoy a three course meal, served with champagne

From hearty breakfasts to indulgent three-course course meals for lunch and dinner, our Business Premier menus have been designed with Michelin-starred chef Raymond Blanc OBE.

We’ll also serve hot and cold drinks throughout your journey. If you have any special dietary requirements, simply let us know 48 hours in advance and we can cater to those too.

Business Premier tickets usually start at around three times the Standard tickets, but as they don't really quota control them, it can be more like six to nine times the price of Standard.

station_road

You can see menus online at the Eurostar website by entering the relevant journey details.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/businesspremiermenu

Looking at the menus and the pictures on the website, if the OP was expecting 'Pullman' standard then I think their expectations were a little high

Crisso

Well frankly, that menu on the website reconfirms it was reasonable to expect Breakfast to be served at that departure time! (I had previously read it at time of booking and assumed so accordingly.)

Maybe not quite ‘Pullman‘ Standard should be expected, but I was expecting a more personal and attentive service with the offer of more drinks, etc. Plus, the quality of the food itself was nowhere near what I expected when I had chosen the top and most expensive of three classes.

I am in correspondence with Eurostar expressing my dissatisfaction.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought I would finish my recent trip to the Netherlands by treating myself to the so called First Class Business Premier accommodation on the direct Eurostar service from Amsterdam Centraal to St. Pancras International departing 08.45am, which wasn’t cheap but I thought of it as a special treat.

you can see menus online at the Eurostar website by entering the relevant journey details.

Entering the OPs journey it clearly states:

Breakfast
Before 10:00

Since departure time was 08.45 I think that a breakfast serving is a reasonable assumption.

slowjoe

I've only ever travelled Standard Premier, but I would have expected a "proper" meal in Business Premier, they always seem to market it that way.

~300 kcal for a main isn't enough IMHO, and suggests they need to increase their portion sizes.

stuu

Established Member
Sounds pretty poor. I used to go to Paris for work and they paid for Business Premier. The meals were very good, and the free booze was ample, to the point of being a bit too ample on occasion. A few years ago now though, like everything else it seems to have got worse

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
That sounds like a dreadfull offering. I've only travelled Standard Premier and have always been very satisfied with both the food and booze offering, (I've always had to ask for more booze, but have never been refused).

I've not used Eurostar since Covid however and if they've gone the way of most other 'hospitality' offerings it won't be for the better. :(

doc7austin

Well, I'd assume that the catering logistics for real meals only exists between Brussel and London.
Eurostar may cater the train only in London, Paris and Brussels and may not have a catering contractor on hand in Amsterdam.
Hence, how do you store the meals on the overnight stay of this Eurostar trainset in Amsterdam ?

Trainbike46

Established Member
Well, I'd assume that the catering logistics for real meals only exists between Brussel and London.
Eurostar may cater the train only in London, Paris and Brussels and may not have a catering contractor on hand in Amsterdam.
Hence, how do you store the meals on the overnight stay of this Eurostar trainset in Amsterdam ?
Since the grouping with Thalys, it seems unlikely that the eurostar group does not have a catering provider in Amsterdam, given the amount of Thalys/eurostar red services starting there!

ajrm

All of which may be correct, but it's completely irrelevant from the customer service point of view. If catering is not available from Amsterdam then that should be made clear to customers, and from a quick scan of the Eurostar website there are no such exceptions.

In any case, I don't see why it should be a problem. LNER has no catering provider at Aberdeen or Inverness, but morning departures are stocked the previous night at Edinburgh on the inward journey, meaning that—at least in theory—breakfast can be service on departure from Aberdeen.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Based on what? I can't see anything on the Eurostar website on which that could be based? Did you see post #7?

Birkonian

I usually travel in Standard Premier. The food offer is nothing special but it is the individual seat I value. A few years back I was asked if I would move to Business Premier to accommodate other passengers. I agreed but found the difference in food minimal with the additional of a glass of champagne. There seem to be more seats in the carriage than in certain Standard Premier coaches which can be very spacious. The additional cost is a waste of money IMO.

Beebman

I had to make a short-notice personal trip to Paris last July and as the price difference then between Standard and Business Premier was relatively small I went for the latter. I definitely appreciated the fast-track entrances at both StP and GdN but other than that there wasn't really anything else to justify to me the extra cost. OK so you get access to the lounges but the food and drink offering was quite unremarkable although at least I could find somewhere to sit down.

jfollows

Established Member
I used Business Premier once, London-Paris and return, going out before 15 April 2010 and returning a few days later.

The outbound trip was fine, nothing special, I quite liked the small lounge at Saint Pancras

Then Eyjafjallajökull erupted, and most of my colleagues were panicking because there were no flights. I came back on my booked train, completely full of course, on a morning service and I was grateful for the relative comfort plus I remember the breakfast was pretty good.

Nothing to do with the original post, of course, sorry. I was just very smug when my colleagues started to panic about being unable to get home by air.

EDIT Oh, but I probably wouldn't do it again, I've usually done Standard Premier and it's been "OK". In the case of the one trip I made I paid the difference between EasyJet flights and the rail fare, so I treated it as a kind of subsidy. Paying the whole whack myself wouldn't have been worth the money.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Eurostar Business Premier tickets in general start at at £287 for Amsterdam to London, rising to just under £400 if booked alongside a London to Amsterdam Eurostar ticket. If booked without the London to Amsterdam they start at £330.50 and go up to just under £500. It may be different outside the current booking horizon.

As such you're looking at something in the region of ten to fifteen times a typical price on Ryanair or EasyJet etc. I would accordingly be expecting the best of the best on every single journey for that kind of money.

furgus2

Having undertaken a Business Premier journey in the opposite direction on the 15th, I can very much relate to the comments made in the opening post. This was on the 11.04 departure to Amsterdam where lunch was served. The first part of the journey saw quite a good at seat service and the hot option of lamb with diced potatoes and vegetables was one of the nicest meals I’ve ever had on Eurostar. I’d had an initial glass of champagne but I noted that a refill had to be asked for rather than offered from time to time as had been my experience in the past. About 10 minutes before arrival at Lille, it was clear that any sort of service was over as all the catering crew remained in the kitchen area and were clearly just waiting to disembark at Brussels.
Once there, a 15 minute wait until departure during which the Dutch catering team of 2 joined the train. I’m not sure why there was the need for 2 as for the rest of the journey to Amsterdam they made one drinks run and then spent the remaining time in the kitchen.
I did expect more for my money than this. It was the first time I had made this particular journey since just before Covid and previously there was a much better proactive at seat service. It was definitely on the Dutch section that the offering has deteriorated both in the quality of snack available and the lack of drink refills being offered.

lkoroes

Having taken SP a few times to Amsterdam, breakfast is served either around Ashford or Calais. The drinks galley is left in the vestibules and you’re welcome to help yourself to more drinks. Then, they bring around snacks after Brussels - either a granola bar, a brownie or a savoury option that escapes me at the moment. I haven’t taken an early departure back yet. You can also ask for more coffee or tea throughout the trip.

BP does seems like a bit of a difficult offering but I’ve always found SP to be excellent value, particularly with interrail. I also usually swing by the lounge in Brussels and make a mocha + take some snacks for the journey.