• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very poor train and ferry connections at Rosslare Harbour in Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daodao

Established Member
Also discussed in the May 2017 timetable change thread from post 140 onwards.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=143199

I think that this may sound the death knell for the Fishguard Harbour branch.

Rejigging of the timetable means that the evening boat service leaving Rosslare, while it has a rail connection from Dublin, no longer has a rail connection from Fishguard travelling further east than Carmarthen. The morning boat from Rosslare leaves too early for any practicable transport connections from beyond County Wexford. Thererore, it will no longer be possible to make through journeys using public transport from the rest of Ireland (including Dublin) to places in GB beyond West Wales via the Rosslare-Fishguard ferry.

I have no idea whether the re-opened Fishguard & Goodwick station has generated sufficient traffic to justify the retention of the branch as a local service to North Pembrokeshire; others may wish to comment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The lack of a connection east of Carmarthen for the evening arrival is extremely disappointing. However, I don't think it necessarily spells he end of the Fishguard branch. The same worries were expressed about Stranraer when the ferries there moved to Cairnryan.

berneyarms

Established Member
The lack of a connection east of Carmarthen for the evening arrival is extremely disappointing. However, I don't think it necessarily spells he end of the Fishguard branch. The same worries were expressed about Stranraer when the ferries there moved to Cairnryan.

Agreed - it's a shame that the set on the 22:14 Fishguard-Carmarthen could not operate to Swansea, and then join a deferred 23:45 Swansea-Carmarthen.

Operating to Swansea would at least offer some form of meaningful connection off the ferry.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
More importantly, it would allow me to get back to Llanelli :lol:

The last train back from Carmarthen is currently at 2244. That's a bit early for an evening out in Carmarthen, so I think it would be beneficial to allow the 2214 ex Fishguard to run through later in it's place.

berneyarms

Established Member
Interestingly this week and next there appears to have been a late change to the timetable, with the evening connecting rail service off the ferry at Fishguard being extended to Swansea, rather than pointlessly terminating at Carmarthen. Whether this is for this fortnight only or not remains to be seen.

The 22:14 ex-Fishguard Harbour (Mon-Fri) will now operate to Swansea after all rather than terminate at Carmarthen, calling at all stations.

The 21:09 ex-Pembroke Dock will now terminate at Carmarthen and connect into the 22:14 ex-Fishguard.

On Saturday, the 22:15 ex-Fishguard will operate to Swansea, while the 21:09 ex-Pembroke Dock will terminate at Carmarthen.

On Sunday the 23:03 ex-Fishguard will now operate to Swansea.

At present this is only for the current and next week. Hopefully sense will prevail and this will become a permanent timetable change.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I do hope that this is permanent. As I said earlier, it would be an improvement not just for foot passengers, but for those of us sad cases who like a night out in Carmarthen from time to time!

father_jack

The 22:14 ex-Fishguard Harbour (Mon-Fri) will now operate to Swansea after all rather than terminate at Carmarthen, calling at all stations.

Still a pleasant wait from 0007 to 0358 for forward eastbound transport in the open at Swansea !!!

berneyarms

Established Member
Still a pleasant wait from 0007 to 0358 for forward eastbound transport in the open at Swansea !!!

I seriously doubt people will do that. If they do they need their heads examined.

I don't see that as a viable option.

What I do see as an option is being able to book and stay in a hotel in Swansea rather than being dumped in Carmarthen where such options are extremely limited.

berneyarms

Established Member
I do hope that this is permanent. As I said earlier, it would be an improvement not just for foot passengers, but for those of us sad cases who like a night out in Carmarthen from time to time!

The extension of the evening ferry connection from Fishguard Harbour to Swansea (instead of Carmarthen) is now finally reflected in the journey planner through to the end of the current timetable.

Flying Snail

Established Member
The extension of the evening ferry connection from Fishguard Harbour to Swansea (instead of Carmarthen) is now finally reflected in the journey planner through to the end of the current timetable.

While it is an improvement I can't see there being much sailrail traffic on that sailing any longer, realistically a night in Swansea isn't much use to the type of people that were using the overnight ship/rail service, thy will either switch to the daytime or go by plane or Eurolines/Megabus via Pembroke.

james60059

I'm travelling via Fishguard - Rosslare in September and in my opinion, I think the timings for the day time are OK, the only downer I can think of is the additional change at Swansea for the Fishguard train when in years gone it was from Cardiff with limited stops and travelling via the Swansea District line (I believe the return service still does go via the SDL).

I do agree with the night sailing however with the 4 hour fester or so at Swansea, when I use come back home from Ireland to the Midlands in the 1990's with my Dad on the night sailing, we had the pleasure of a HST from Fishguard to Bristol Parkway then an onward connection to Birmingham and Coventry.

It is sad to see the numbers of RailSail passengers dwindling, I can remember the new terminal at Rosslare opening and a good number of people using it, and even the train from Rosslare to Waterford being well loaded, the final years of the South Wexford line I can only remember a handful of passengers, but of course with cheap flights and indeed being quicker it is no surprise really. There's even talk of the line between Gorey and Rosslare going as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.