• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria Tube station: Visually-impared passengers provided travel to nearby stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Have to agree with Crow on this one although I get the feeling it's a bit of a non-story because TfL are giving alternatives. Sure they shouldn't have to but we can't have everything.

Wolfie

Established Member
Have to agree with Crow on this one although I get the feeling it's a bit of a non-story because TfL are giving alternatives. Sure they shouldn't have to but we can't have everything.

SS4

Not desperately helpful alternatives if the blind/partially sighted person wants to use Victoria mainline though! Oh, and what if any assistance would be provided on buses between the alternatives nominated and Victoria? My father was virtually blind so I am highly sensitised to this!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Eh? What planet are the RMT on, and why haven't the BBC researched this? This isn't a leaked document; it's there in plain words on the TfL website: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/pro...s/5140.aspx#page-link-escalator-refurbishment

If you're unable to use escalators

Until mid-January 2012, the staff at Victoria will not be able to switch off any escalators to allow you to walk up/down from 07:00 to 10:00 and 16:00 to 20:00 on weekdays.

If you have a disability and usually arrive at Victoria during the morning peak, or depart from there in evening peak, we advise you to travel via Pimlico or St James's Park stations.

Staff there can arrange a taxi to take you to Victoria. Similarly, if you are starting your Underground journey at Victoria a taxi can be provided to either St James's Park or Pimlico stations.

This is nothing to do with a lack of staff; there are a huge number of extra staff on the station during the escalator works. If an escalator was shut off during these works then within just a few minutes the station would have to be closed and trains would run through non-stop. Absolutely the right decision!

Secondly, this is not TfL's decision. The decision was taken by London Underground (LU).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
SS4

Not desperately helpful alternatives if the blind/partially sighted person wants to use Victoria mainline though! Oh, and what if any assistance would be provided on buses between the alternatives nominated and Victoria? My father was virtually blind so I am highly sensitised to this!

glad people understand! I am blind and unaware of the restrictions attempted to go from southeastern platforms via LU to euston. When help was refused and then after a major argument granted, id missed my sleaper, having allowed over a hour for the central London journey and it cost TFL a hotel and a new tiket the following morning plus grovvling appology to my boss! They were forced into this as the alternative was me suing them under DDA!

Established Member
Yep. Another "!!!panic!!!" non-story by the Beeb.

Tube staff are helping blind people by telling them to avoid a prohibitively difficult access and offer a free taxi to an alternative easier tube station to board at.

This kind of journalism helps no-one other than the BBC's attempt to gain website hits.

Wolfie

Established Member
Eh? What planet are the RMT on, and why haven't the BBC researched this? This isn't a leaked document; it's there in plain words on the TfL website: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/pro...s/5140.aspx#page-link-escalator-refurbishment

This is nothing to do with a lack of staff; there are a huge number of extra staff on the station during the escalator works. If an escalator was shut off during these works then within just a few minutes the station would have to be closed and trains would run through non-stop. Absolutely the right decision!

Secondly, this is not TfL's decision. The decision was taken by London Underground (LU).

Hum, published on the web that's helpful for blind people (NOT!) isn't it!!!

See blindtraveller's case and then realise the impact it actually has.....

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hum, published on the web that's helpful for blind people (NOT!) isn't it!!!

See blindtraveller's case and then realise the impact it actually has.....
In addition to screen readers as Ralph suggests, this information would also be available to customers using the telephone enquiry service. How else would you suggest the information be provided?

Given the alternative is complete closure of the station, I don't see what the problem is.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
In addition to screen readers as Ralph suggests, this information would also be available to customers using the telephone enquiry service. How else would you suggest the information be provided?

Given the alternative is complete closure of the station, I don't see what the problem is.

think the issue here was and may stil be that although the info was published, it wasnt glaringly obvious - in I think the 3rd week of work was when I traveled and although I was aware of the well advertised works, the lack of assistance for us under respected members of society wasnt made clear as if it had been I could easily have used London Bridge or Charing cross as was on a route to both. What urked me even more was LU are normally excilent at these things, hense why I breazed in at just after 8pm with over an hour before my sleaper left but not expecting trubble.

One final point, a call to the telephone line before departure from my cuzzons house saw me being told no problems and even on mention of my disabilitty, leading me to assume the callcentre were unaware also.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Irrespective of other issues it's good to see the escalators have reopened 3 months ahead of schedule.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The TfL website also confirms that the problem HAD been looked at, with a solution found to the problem, which actually suggests they're not completely ignorant of such issues, like many businesses are.

Now people are arguing about whether this was a suitable workaround, which is fine - but let's not turn it into anything more sinister.

Status
Not open for further replies.