• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Atlantic economy on the 787

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has anyone here flown economy on Virgin's 787? What's the legroom like? It's 31" pitch which is pretty standard (and slightly more than easyJet's 29" or Ryanair's 30") but the thickness of the seat back makes more difference than just the pitch - unfortunately nobody ever publishes front-of-seat-back to back-of-seat-back measurements which is the bit that counts!

Thanks all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can’t answer your question directly as I try and avoid travelling with Virgin, but on these planes they use the Recaro 3620 slimline in Economy so you may find the dimensions online somewhere.

If you struggle with such space, you may wish to consider booking what Virgin call “Economy Delight.” Note this is not Premium Economy but it opens up access to seats, what on the 787-9, are in rows 46-51 ABC and HJK only. These promise extra pitch of 34 inches. I don’t know the exact route but this ticket type is typically priced at £80-£100 above Economy Classic per person return. However you can offset this extra cost against the fact it earns extra points with Virgin; even if you do not collect miles with them they can be converted into Virgin Red which is more easily spendable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you struggle with such space, you may wish to consider booking what Virgin call “Economy Delight.” Note this is not Premium Economy but it opens up access to seats, what on the 787-9, are in rows 46-51 ABC and HJK only. These promise extra pitch of 34 inches. I don’t know the exact route but this ticket type is typically priced at £80-£100 above Economy Classic per person return. However you can offset this extra cost against the fact it earns extra points with Virgin; even if you do not collect miles with them they can be converted into Virgin Red which is more easily spendable.

I'm considering this, but it's actually a markup of over £500 because this is a package tour where it appears the tour operator gets a discount on basic economy but not on Economy Delight (annoying as Virgin themselves show it as about £100ish)...so I'm trying to work out if it's necessary or not.

Thanks for the seat info, will do some research.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I haven't flown this myself - only the VS A350 in economy - but I believe one seat per row (the middle?) has an IFE box at foot level which can restrict legroom.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’ve flown both economy and economy delight. Legroom ok in the former, and loads in the latter (I’m tall).

Also with Delight you can use the PE check in, which helps a little. I would usually choose delight, but not at £500 extra. That’s PE territory.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I did wonder if they'd wrongly quoted for PE (for which I would pay £500), but looking online that's a £1000 markup or thereabouts so I doubt it'd be cheaper via the tour operator. It's a flight to South Africa (Joburg) so a bit pricier than the US.

I do wonder if the reason is as mentioned that the tour operator gets discounted fares on basic economy but any upgrades take it up to the full public price, but £500 is steep for extra legroom, normally I pay about £50-£100 for the exit row long haul (but 787 3-3-3 seats are too narrow for me to do that with the armrest table).

Does anyone happen to know the pitch of the normal airline seats on the refurbished Pendolino? The seat back thickness looks about the same and I fit those. I'm sat on one now (in the best seat in the house, Coach A seat 45 :) ), should have taken a tape measure.

Last edited:

Speed43125

I'm 6'2 and found those seats fine on Virgin Atlantic. Don't explicitly remember too clearly, but assuming that's a sign that they were all ok.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Ironically I'm about to fly Economy Delight on a Virgin Atlantic 787-9 (in about two hours!) back to the UK, so will report back. The upgrade FWIW was £143 - so not totally nuts.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ironically I'm about to fly Economy Delight on a Virgin Atlantic 787-9 (in about two hours!) back to the UK, so will report back. The upgrade FWIW was £143 - so not totally nuts.

Cheers. The reason for the silly price by the way was that the holiday company gets a big discount for regular economy but any upgrades are up to the commercial rate. Which ironically means Virgin are less likely to get the money...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Cheers. The reason for the silly price by the way was that the holiday company gets a big discount for regular economy but any upgrades are up to the commercial rate. Which ironically means Virgin are less likely to get the money...

If there’s space on the plane, you will be able to upgrade to delight at the airport pre departure. If flying from LHR give yourself plenty of time to do so, as Virgin customer servcies seem to get all sorts of odd enquiries that take ages to resolve (unlike ‘upgrade please’)

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well I'm 6ft (though fairly slight build) and had a good amount of legroom, even when the person in front fully reclined. I wasn't a fan of the headrest (think LNER First but a bit less invasive) as I fell asleep on it funny and woke up with a sore neck.

In fact, it's probably the best sleep I've had on a long(ish) haul flight, neck ache for a moment aside. I think I had about four hours or so out of the seven hours flying. A can of their white wine with dinner (a naff pasta but US catering was never going to be great) and I was sleeping like a baby until just before breakfast (a muffin, granola bar and yoghurt with tea/coffee).

I will ultimately be quite biased though - as I also had an entire row to myself :lol: It did seem to be more lightly loaded than Economy so a few people had spare seats.

For a hundred quid or so - worth it I'd say. As others suggest, you'll be given the chance to upgrade as you check-in (or even later than that).