• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Mk3s at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Went through Donny today.

Noticed two Virgin Mk3s there - one buffet, one first class - both looking a bit shabby.

What are they there for? Who owns them? Where are they going?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pretty sure they're Mk2s and I think they're just there for storage as they've been there for years (at least 6) so I don't expect them to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Pretty sure they're Mk2s and I think they're just there for storage as they've been there for years (at least 6) so I don't expect them to be going anywhere anytime soon.

DEFINITELY Mk3s, coupled to car transporters today! Just over the fence by the station.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Fair enough I'm not the best at picking Mk2s and Mk3s apart. But still they've been there for years.

They have been there for years and they definitely are mk3s there wasnt ever a mk2 buffet was there? thats way i decided :)

WillPS

Established Member
The easiest way to tell the difference, I find, is to look at the top of the doors. Mk2s have a strange protruding bit and Mk3s dont.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Mk3s have ribbed roofs, streamlined underframes, BT10 bogies (Mk2s have B4 or B5) and are longer. First class Mk3s have eight passenger compartment windows (Mk2d/e/f 1st class have seven). Doubtless there are more visual differences that I haven't thought of right now.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The two at Doncaster are RFM 10245 and FO 11028, the former owned by Cargo-D and the latter by DB. As others have said, they've been there for years and are looking increasingly dilapidated.

BlythPower

A need for rolling stock in general or just multiple units? I think you'll find it's only the latter that's wanted these days. Apart from the 15 unloved class 508s that is...

Jdrowlands

When I went last weekend they had been moved a bit, something might be happening with them, or it might just have been Wabtec tidying up.

NXEA!

The two at Doncaster are RFM 10245 and FO 11028, the former owned by Cargo-D and the latter by DB. As others have said, they've been there for years and are looking increasingly dilapidated.
If I remember correctly 10245 was until recently owned by National Express as they were looking at overhauling it and refurbishing it to Mallard specification with power doors to bolster their Mark 4 buffets weren't they?

Jdrowlands

If I remember correctly 10245 was until recently owned by National Express as they were looking at overhauling it and refurbishing it to Mallard specification with power doors to bolster their Mark 4 buffets weren't they?

Currently owned by Cargo-D

Cargo-D has also bought MkIII RFM 10245 from National Express. The vehicle, currently located at Wabtec, Doncaster was deemed to be excellent condition on inspection. It has not been decided as to the future of this vehicle, but it is complete. This vehicle will be transported from Wabtec to a yet ot be decided location in the coming weeks.

http://www.cargo-d.co.uk/news/2009/12/end_of_year_update

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Currently owned by Cargo-D

Cargo-D has also bought MkIII RFM 10245 from National Express. The vehicle, currently located at Wabtec, Doncaster was deemed to be excellent condition on inspection. It has not been decided as to the future of this vehicle, but it is complete. This vehicle will be transported from Wabtec to a yet ot be decided location in the coming weeks.

http://www.cargo-d.co.uk/news/2009/12/end_of_year_update

Well that never really happened did it seeing as that news is from 2009 and it's now 2011!

sprinterguy

Established Member
When I went last weekend they had been moved a bit, something might be happening with them, or it might just have been Wabtec tidying up.
I've passed through Donny twice in the last week and the two carriages haven't shifted all that much, so I presume that it's just Wabtec keeping the yard organised.

On another note, another repainted mark 4 set has just been released from Wabtec (BN09 with 82215, now hooked up with 91119) and another blue set has taken it's place

Yew

Established Member
Just a thought, but there is another thread about having special train running for events.

Is there much stopping someone hooking up these mk3's and/or some Mk2's upto a 67 or similar and running it for events, I bet they could find a few events to service every week?

Jdrowlands

^^ Yeah, saw that one the other day. Was being pulled around by a (hired) Virgin 57.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a thought, but there is another thread about having special train running for events.

Is there much stopping someone hooking up these mk3's and/or some Mk2's upto a 67 or similar and running it for events, I bet they could find a few events to service every week?

There's already a lot of coaches being used for charter/special trains, mainly Cargo-D/DB Schenker ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.