• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin SuperVoyager beeping/tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Hi all,

I've noticed lately when using super voyagers with Virgin (no experience of XC voyagers) that occasionally three beeps will come across the PA. These vary in tone and some have 3 tones 3 times, some 2 tones 3 times, some 2 different tones 3 times. These have intrigued me greatly, does anyone know what they mean?

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
I believe one of them is disabled toilet alarm activated - possibly the three tone three times one.

One of them is definitely can the guard contact the driver.

scotsman

Established Member
There is a thread on this.

In stations 1-2 (BEEP BEEP-BEEP) means 'close doors'. 2 (BEEP-BEEP) means 'station duties complete, proceed'

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I know what you mean. They sound more 'warbly' than driver-guard comms. I was on one the other day and the tones rang out for quite a time while en route.

MCR247

Established Member
There is about 2 threads somewhere, but I cba to find them right now :)

Hopefully someone else will be more helpful... :lol:

Variously...

Driver-guard (not bell buzzer codes)
Crew call (not driver)
Disabled alarm (you can tell which toilet from the number of beeps)
TMS alarm

Pendo's (and the XC refurb HSTs) use most of them too...

driver9000

Established Member
There is a thread on this.

In stations 1-2 (BEEP BEEP-BEEP) means 'close doors'. 2 (BEEP-BEEP) means 'station duties complete, proceed'

2 on the bell/buzzer means 'Ready to start' and tells the driver station work is complete, it is not authority to move.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I've noticed lately when using super voyagers with Virgin (no experience of XC voyagers) that occasionally three beeps will come across the PA. These vary in tone and some have 3 tones 3 times, some 2 tones 3 times, some 2 different tones 3 times. These have intrigued me greatly, does anyone know what they mean?

Andrew

It's very hard for me to describe it in words, but i'll give it a go. ;)

The "normal paced" three tone beep over the PA, is the crew call, usually TM wanting CSA etc

The "slow paced" three tone beep over the PA, is the crew call for driver wanting the TM. (Usually when stuck at a signal)

As 37402 says, you also get beeps for the toilets etc, which consit of three lots of 2-tone low-high beeps over the PA. You also sometimes get these beeps in a "lower tone of beep" :p , notifying the TM of a problem with the TMS. I've more commonly had this when there has been a problem with closing the exterior doors at a station.

I hope this helps! :)

dk1

Veteran Member
Always thought it was the driver asking the train manager to bring up a cuppa :p

Crossover

Established Member
As a few people have said, there has been at least the one thread which I started back in July
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34508

That may be of some use although this thread seems to have gone into greater detail generally anyway.

I would be interested in some of the buzzer code meanings though - as you get the 1, pause, 2 which seems to be close doors, but then theres a response of, I think, 2, pause, 1, but that seems to be after the hustle alarms have started so I'm not sure.

Unfortunately since I've been trying to work it out, I have not since been next to a door when the guard is doing their duties or else I would watch.

Slightly off the topic, but something I learnt on a station visit the other week, is that Pendolinos are dispatched using the "Right Away" indicators, rather than buzzer (unless of course, there is a problem with the RA indicator)

dk1

Veteran Member
Slightly off the topic, but something I learnt on a station visit the other week, is that Pendolinos are dispatched using the "Right Away" indicators, rather than buzzer (unless of course, there is a problem with the RA indicator)

NXEA loco-hauled trains also leave Liverpool Street by way of RA indicators. A senior safety manager for the company wittnessed this form of despatch being done with HSTs at St.Pancras & had it brought in on his own patch too.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It was discussed on a previous thread about RA indicators, and basically the conclusion was that they are used instead of the buzzer when provided, as they are interlocked with the signals (RA can't be shown if the signal is off) so it reduces the chances of a SPAD.

When it comes to the buzzer/bell codes, 1-2 is close doors, which will be repeated back by the driver, before or after pressing the door close button. The Voyager crew call is based on the 3-3 buzzer/bell code which is guard required by driver or driver to contact guard.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
As a few people have said, there has been at least the one thread which I started back in July
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34508

That may be of some use although this thread seems to have gone into greater detail generally anyway.

I would be interested in some of the buzzer code meanings though - as you get the 1, pause, 2 which seems to be close doors, but then theres a response of, I think, 2, pause, 1, but that seems to be after the hustle alarms have started so I'm not sure.

Unfortunately since I've been trying to work it out, I have not since been next to a door when the guard is doing their duties or else I would watch.

All the various buzzers codes are described in section 3.6 of rulebook module TW1 which is available here: http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Rule Book Modules/TW - Train Working/GERT8000-TW1 Iss 8.pdf.

Pumbaa

Established Member

What what? Makes sense to me, the guard/conductor does not have the authority to tell the Driver to proceed, as Scotman was implying. driver9000 interpretation seems valid - it informs the driver that the guard/conductor is happy for the train to move, it is up to the driver (on signals/whatever else) whether or not the train moves.

dk1

Veteran Member
What what? Makes sense to me, the guard/conductor does not have the authority to tell the Driver to proceed, as Scotman was implying. driver9000 interpretation seems valid - it informs the driver that the guard/conductor is happy for the train to move, it is up to the driver (on signals/whatever else) whether or not the train moves.

If the platform has a signal it is also the guards responsibility to check it is clear & not give 2 on the buzzer until it does. In certain circumstances where a train would move up to the signal (non permissive platforms) then the guard would give 6 (draw forward).

Pumbaa

Established Member
If the platform has a signal it is also the guards responsibility to check it is clear & not give 2 on the buzzer until it does. In certain circumstances where a train would move up to the signal (non permissive platforms) then the guard would give 6 (draw forward).

Of course, and I'd certainly not slur any guards professionalism. I was merely agreeing with driver9000 that the final decision to move the train is taken by the driver when they are happy to move it, not because the guard tells them they can.

driver9000

Established Member
The way I read the post by Scotsman implied that 2 on the bell/buzzer told the driver to go when all it tells the driver is that platform duties are complete and the train is ready.

strange6

Established Member
It was discussed on a previous thread about RA indicators, and basically the conclusion was that they are used instead of the buzzer when provided, as they are interlocked with the signals (RA can't be shown if the signal is off) so it reduces the chances of a SPAD.

I thought RA can only be shown when the signal is off?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Guards (and platform staff) generally don't give any signal whatsoever until the starting signal is off though do they?

scotsman

Established Member

They certainly used to!

ChrisCooper

Established Member

I thought RA can only be shown when the signal is off?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Guards (and platform staff) generally don't give any signal whatsoever until the starting signal is off though do they?

Sorry, that was me getting them mixed up. Long day! Probably meant to say can only be shown if the signal is off.

brillopad

Hi all,

Andrew

Spoke with a TM today who said that information was confidential - he relented when I told him I already knew what the buzzer codes were - the 3 rising tones are the toilet alarm - he declined further info.
I suspect the 2 tones 3 times are driver to CSM/TM as I hear them at Plymouth where there are crew changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.