• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin: Train Manager v Onboard Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

G42

What is the difference between an 'onboard manager' and a 'train manager'?

The job description for onboard manager makes little mention of being... onboard the train. Whereas the 'train manager' job description goes into detail about preparing the train.

I have also read that the train manager is essentially the guard, with the onboard manager performing all customer service related functions on the train?

Any clarity would be useful!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
Onboard Manager = Customer Service Manager = Conductor Team Manager = etc etc.

Basically a VT OBM line manages the TMs and onboard CSAs at a given depot.

A Train Manager is another name for a Train Guard who is responsible for the safety of the train and it's passengers and crew. They'll generally check tickets and, alongside the rest of the traincrew, deal with customer enquiries. They are responsible for the dispatch of their train from stations and if required protect it in an emergency. They'll also assist the driver in various tasks if required.

tsr

Established Member
Confusingly, Southeastern Onboard Managers are similar to Train Managers, in that they are not Team Managers or something like that, but instead perform duties similar to a guard/conductor, but without the safety-critical dispatch of the train from any given station. Their safety function principally relates to evacuation, and much of the rest of the role is more focussed on customer service and basic fault-finding.

G42

Goes to show you need to look beyond a name!

So for Virgin, is the on board manager on the train? i.e. every train crew has an onboard manager and train manager. Or are they based at the depot managing multiple crews of train managers?

Jonfun

Established Member
They're primarily office based, but will go out and about on the trains every so often to assess staff. I can't say for certain precisely how Virgin do things but at our place the equivalent role deals with matters such as scheduling and conducting assessments, dealing with any complaints/praise which is sent in, chasing up any issues such as poor attendance or performance, ensuring any changes to products/procedures etc is distributed to staff, conducting safety brief days and dealing with any disciplinary action required within their team. I believe Virgin is similar.

Northernboy67

I assumed that Train Managers were Train Guards. I applied to Virgin Trains for this position, and got a response that they were not taking my application further, and in future to make sure I understand what I am applying for.

Jonfun

Established Member
Train Managers are Guards. But yes, that's good advice.

I don't understand how you managed to fill in the application form without understanding the job description?

craigybagel

Established Member
TM's are guards, and fill the role of Guard in the rule book.

OBM's are effectively the guards bosses - they oversee the guards and the catering staff at their depot. When I was at VT there were only 4 OBM'S covering about 250 staff across the grades at my depot.

The OBM's are normally also qualified as guards I do believe (my own OBM came from an office staff background and had to get guards training first).

Status
Not open for further replies.