• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains allocating a 5-car Voyager to a Liverpool service

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
There was a Voyager on the 17:47 Lime Street to Euston this evening. I think it ran in empty from Crewe before hand. Anyone know why? I presume a Pendo failed or got stuck somewhere without a replacement available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
1F19 power issues and failed on leaving Euston.

diffident

How often to Voyagers get up to Lime Street?? I'm guessing not often with the exception of Aintree specials by East Midlands using their 222's? (I know technically they are Meridians too).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can't think of any recent uses of Voyagers between Crewe and Liverpool.
Some will be spare from Scottish services because of the blockade at Acton Grange.
Liverpool crews do operate them on Chester/Holyhead services.
Occasionally they are worked Warrington-Crewe via Chester, but that's not possible at the moment because of the same blockade.

fowler9

Established Member
How often to Voyagers get up to Lime Street?? I'm guessing not often with the exception of Aintree specials by East Midlands using their 222's? (I know technically they are Meridians too).
pretty much never apart from today. Ha ha.

507 001

Established Member
Last time a Voyager got to LIV would have been circa 2003 when XC pulled out.

This one had apparently been detached from a Chester/Holyhead service.

Grid56005

A 10 car worked in from Euston, in May 2015 in conjunction with the Three Queens Cruise Liner event

8J

Im pretty sure a 221 ran into Lime St 2-3 years ago due to a failed 390 at Euston.

Like has been said, there is no reason why they can't. (most) Liverpool and Euston traincrew sign them and they are route cleared.

driver_m

Established Member
Rare as rocking horse crap here. They don’t come here very often though there was a 10 car last year as a one off. Can’t remember why. There are a few spare though at the minute with the Acton Grange block so if there is one about, then it could be used, however you’ve also got to bear in mind that the majority of caterers don’t touch voyagers at Lime St so you can’t offer any food n drink. Normally they’re fully utilised on unwired routes and Brum services so there’s little reason for them to visit Lime St (or Manchester where the TM’s don’t sign them)

southn

Yesterday (Tuesday), Virgin Trains substituted a 5-car 221 to operate the 17.47 Liverpool to Euston.

This week and next, a coupled 10-car 221 is operating the 18.30 Euston to Glasgow via Wilmslow and Manchester. This is the 18.40 to Manchester, amended to accommodate engineering works around Warrington.

Is this the first time Super Voyagers have operated Euston to Manchester / Liverpool services since Pendolinos were fully introduced?

gazthomas

Established Member
Diversions via Manchester have occurred in the past.

XC doesn't go to London Euston of course.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A Euston to Manchester is currently running as 8 instead of 9? Pendolino shed one carriage due to a fault?

scotrail158713

Established Member
But isn't this better than no train at all due to the earlier failure?
It is but I was just surprised that only one other person had picked up on what seemed like a big issue - taking 6 carriages off a trains allocated length.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It is but I was just surprised that only one other person had picked up on what seemed like a big issue - taking 6 carriages off a trains allocated length.

Perhaps Virgin know what the loading is typically like on the 1747 and allocated a Voyager accordingly?

scotrail158713

Established Member
Perhaps Virgin know what the loading is typically like on the 1747 and allocated a Voyager accordingly?
I know what you mean but a peak time service on a route with 9 or 11 coaches off peak is unlikely to be quiet enough to warrant just 5 coaches

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I know what you mean but a peak time service on a route with 9 or 11 coaches off peak is unlikely to be quiet enough to warrant just 5 coaches

I've been on southbound trains that time of the afternoon from Liverpool, and they're really not that heavily loaded.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I've been on southbound trains that time of the afternoon from Liverpool, and they're really not that heavily loaded.
Sorry, you’re right - I’ve just realised we’ve been talking about 17.47 from Liverpool not 17.47 from Euston.

driver_m

Established Member
Again, crewing issues can play a part in allocating at very short notice. Lost track of what issues happened on Tuesday, but that particular train would be worked by a Euston driver, they have a couple of links that don’t sign 221s

One thing I would say though, can we leave the loadings issue for other forums please, not only is it covered elsewhere on here, it’s also not the quiet backwater in comparison to other VT routes that some make it out to be.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One thing I would say though, can we leave the loadings issue for other forums please, not only is it covered elsewhere on here, it’s also not the quiet backwater in comparison to other VT routes that some make it out to be.

...uhhhh, why? It's entirely relevant to the discussion about why 'only' a 5 car may have been deemed adequate as a substitute.

I have been on Liverpool starters that time of day, and they are not exactly full and standing, so was entirely reasonable in my view.

It was about the specifics of the 1747 train, not Liverpool services in general...

HotelNovember

...uhhhh, why? It's entirely relevant to the discussion about why 'only' a 5 car may have been deemed adequate as a substitute.

Because that’s all that was available?!

No conspiracy theories here....Failed 390, only available spare a 221. So rather than a cancellation, that’s what was provided. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.