• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Evening Meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, I'm traveling in April to London First class on the 1840 from Glasgow Central and I am wondering if you get the 'Evening Meal' on that service?

Thanks in Advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

williamn

How many threads are there here about Virgin 1st class food?!
I think it's a bit bad though that if you travel from Glasgow to London between 10 and 3 you only get a sandwich, its a long journey and if you travel 1st I think you should at least have the option of hot food.

MCR247

Established Member
How many threads are there here about Virgin 1st class food?!
I think it's a bit bad though that if you travel from Glasgow to London between 10 and 3 you only get a sandwich, its a long journey and if you travel 1st I think you should at least have the option of hot food.

You get light bites enhanced whatever that is on some trains :?

williamn

Last time I did the journey I got a hot jacket potato and filling - maybe that is the 'enhanced' service? Still, doesn't quite compare to the FGW restaurant - 3 course meal, wine and a glass of port after - fantastic and of course discontinued 6 months later...despite there not being a seat free in the restaurant on the two services I used.

devon_metro

Established Member
Last time I did the journey I got a hot jacket potato and filling - maybe that is the 'enhanced' service? Still, doesn't quite compare to the FGW restaurant - 3 course meal, wine and a glass of port after - fantastic and of course discontinued 6 months later...despite there not being a seat free in the restaurant on the two services I used.

But you have to pay which is the major difference ;)

Oh and it isn't discontinued. 1200/1255 Plymouth to London and 1803/1903 return still have it. The other services were not viable and were replaced with a more reasonably priced "travelling chef select" offering a two course meal for a very decent price.

dk1

Veteran Member
But dare i say, with Virgin the meal is...

...FREE!!

Please don't comment as i was only joking. I know their 1st class fares are a bargain.

williamn

But you have to pay which is the major difference ;)

Oh and it isn't discontinued. 1200/1255 Plymouth to London and 1803/1903 return still have it. The other services were not viable and were replaced with a more reasonably priced "travelling chef select" offering a two course meal for a very decent price.

It's been discontinued on both the services we used. Both services were full. Maybe that's just because it's a Friday, but in which case, why not make the restaurant Fridays only? And so little promotion is done it's a wonder anyone knows about it - why not sell an all inclusive meal price when buying ticket online, perhaps with a % off. Why not include a leaflet about catering options with the tickets? Why not do more than one sitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.