• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains leaving Euston early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
First Devon and Cornwall have on their timetables the times are for guides and are the earliest possible arrival time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Here is an example of commuting across London on a semi bad day.

Train to Waterloo gets in 8.09, which is staff arrival time but 2 minutes early for passenger time. I decided ok don't need to run for the tube to Euston. My Euston train to Harrow and Wealdatone leaves at 8.34 and takes 12 minutes. On average it should take 10 minutes on the tube to get to Euston. The train after 8.34 is at 9.05 or I can get a slow service at 8.37 which takes 29 minutes, ie more than twice as long.

So off I walk. I stop once to pick up a coin I dropped and get out my rail pass. Get on to tube platform around 8.16-7 to find a fair number of people on it. More than one would expect for a service due in 2 minutes when there is a good service on the line and during this time, trains are schedulled to depart every 3 minutes.

Train arrives packed. I am last to squezsse on. At embankment I noitced a slight part of my coat was stuck in the tube door. I imagine a Jubliee line train wouldn't like this. At charting cross it is freed.

Eventually the tube train pulls into Euston late. At 8.31 and 30 seconds I gave to rush off. I run all the way pretty much to platform 11 at Euson. Despite the minor delays on the Victoria line, I am lucky to find the passageway to platforms 8 - 11 hasn't been closed off. I get onto the Euston train at 8.33 and 34 seconds. Doors shortly close and train leaves not long after 8.34.

Now if the train companies offered better cross London connections would I be running? Probably at times yes when I'm running late but otherwise no. Now you might say get an earlier train to Waterloo. Unfortunately it is much harder to get a seat on the 7.17 in the morning and I prefer a seat to standing.

I try to countact this by getting the 6.31 and going via Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction. However that only has 5 carriages and despite not getting it every day, at least once a month i have to sit on the floor. Also some mornings i might be tired and need an extra hours sleep, to try and be more alert at work. So I will keep on rushing whilst train companies keep on only concerning themsleves with getting into London and never across it.

Contrast that with this evening. I went from Harriw on the hill to Waterloo. At Finchley road I rushed across the platform as you never know how long the Jubliee line train has been waiting and they don't wait around for connections. At Waterloo though I have 10 minutes or more for my train so I walk to the platform. No running required. Well except once on the platform and I wish to make sure I get a table seat in standard class with a power socket. Such things are a luxury bonus, few commenters given access too. Got the table with about 7 minutes spare. Train leaves on time at 18.15 and arrives into Guildford late at 18.54 but I don't mind because I have no public transport connections to make any more.

The above is just my experience of commuting across London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why can't the commuter be there at least two minutes before? The trains leave at the same time every day!

I'm a commuter and I plan to be at the station at least five minutes beforehand. Doesn't always work out like that, but that's life!

It would be nice to be on Euston platform 5 minutes before the train leaves but sometimes I'm still on the tube 5 minutes before the train leaves and if I'm not I'm more likely to be walking to the platform, having arrived a minute or so before that and probably only because I ran at Waterloo station.

When you have a 1h 30m door to door communte and the current rail infrastructure doesn't allow your train to stop at Clapham junction, you tend to ignore the long generous cross London transfer times. You just want to get to and from work. Although lately I've not been rushing inthe evening so I can get one of the few 10 car trains that south west trains run, so I can power my laptop.

However in the mornings I can't wait for the next train because at Euston they are only every 30 minutes expect for an additional 8.24 and the 7.17 Guildford onnection to it, which would be less rushed, tends to be busy to the point of not getting a seat most mornings.

Last edited:

Harlesden

I can't help wondering why, when you arrived at Waterloo at 08:09, you didn't simply go downstairs and take the Bakerloo Line direct to Harrow & Wealdstone. As Waterloo is only the third station from the Bakerloo's terminus, the train should only be moderately full if that.
A little puzzled by your reference to Willesden Junction, but there are direct trains to Harrow & Wealdstone from there as well

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Contrast that with this evening. I went from Harrow on the Hill to Waterloo. At Finchley Road I rushed across the platform as you never know how long the Jubliee line train has been waiting and they don't wait around for connections.

I tend to find it is quicker to go through to Baker Street and change there ( for the Bakerloo rather than the Jubilee ) even allowing for it not being a cross platform connection.

island

Veteran Member
Why can't the commuter be there at least two minutes before? The trains leave at the same time every day!

For my current temporary commute I have to allow an extra 3-5 minutes explaining to the Virgin gateline at EUS why my ticket is valid!

Status
Not open for further replies.