• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains proposed Shrophire - Euston services

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
You sure ? As the people I have spoke to who did the LM 110 test runs said there were flashers to 2. Will look at some signalling diagrams to see what's what.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IrishDave

What uses it coming out of Oxley? There's no OHL on the chord. As far as I know it was/is just there for the merry go round coal traffic to Ironbridge.

It may be, but to my eye it doesn't look like it's up to taking passenger trains.

Very little uses it but it does see passenger trains occasionally, principally when Shrewsbury-Crewe is shut and ATW divert; that last happened on Saturday 8th December last year, and the Oxley chord was traversed at all of about 15mph. I can't fathom how going that way and reversing at Stafford would be better than extending a Wolverhampton service through to Shrewsbury...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Because it will unbalance the units, you cannot get to Shrewsbury and back by the time the Wolves train makes the return journey, you need to find another unit to cover that. Virgin are probably going to bank on saying they are providing a new extra service, not an extension.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Because it will unbalance the units, you cannot get to Shrewsbury and back by the time the Wolves train makes the return journey, you need to find another unit to cover that. Virgin are probably going to bank on saying they are providing a new extra service, not an extension.

the various "pressure groups" who got all the Tory MP's in Shropshire lobbying were predominantly of the not via New St persuasion.

barrykas

Established Member
Could always do what Wrexham and Shropshire did on various occasions and branch off at Stechford and run via Tame Bridge Parkway, thus avoiding both New Street and the need for reversal.

SprinterMan

Established Member
My London - Wolves record with a sharp un-advertised connection at Stafford is 1h33...

Damn, that's speedy, most EUS-WVH trains are timetabled for 1h48.
EDIT: Just realised how impressive your time was, as the WVH-EUS train that is non-stop from New Street still takes 1h38. I guess via Stafford is quicker after all.

Adam :D

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Probably just as quick to fly up the Trent Valley and reverse !

Some rail planner options already give you the SHR-WVH-STA-EUS shuffle with today's timetable (I assume at the higher fare, same as via Crewe).

It also allows a single 221 to be used for "Shropshire only".
Anything else would have needed 2 units and messing up the EBW diagrams.

I wonder where they will find the spare peak-time unit?
Steal from Chester or from using more 390s on BHM-Scotland?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Some rail planner options already give you the SHR-WVH-STA-EUS shuffle with today's timetable (I assume at the higher fare, same as via Crewe).

It also allows a single 221 to be used for "Shropshire only".
Anything else would have needed 2 units and messing up the EBW diagrams.

I wonder where they will find the spare peak-time unit?
Steal from Chester or from using more 390s on BHM-Scotland?

There is a 221 which spends the day spare at Wolverhampton. On a Friday it runs ECS to Euston to form.the 1846 to Preston.

There is also a 221 formed EBW diagram which sits spare at Euston from a morning service from North Wales then does 1523 Euston to Wolverhampton, 1645 return and 2003 from Euston returning to Central Rivers. On a Friday an extra unit is attached to a mid morning service from Chester to enable the normal unit to work the 1333 relief to Lancaster.

So there appears to be capacity in the Voyager fleet.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So I did hear correctly that it was via Stafford (despite forumers here thinking I was barking mad or something) - this is great news.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...-half-an-hour-from-shrewsbury-to-london-trip/

If the 0706 ex Salop makes commercial calls at Stafford and Rugby it will be good news for them (and de-risk the likelihood of an empty train).
Euston arrival at 0919 must mean about 0750 from Stafford and 0825-ish from Rugby.
Ideal gap-filler.
Snooty Salopians who don't like the long way round via Oxley-Bushbury can drive to Stafford and still pick up up "their" train...

SprinterMan

Established Member
If the 0706 ex Salop makes commercial calls at Stafford and Rugby it will be good news for them (and de-risk the likelihood of an empty train).
Euston arrival at 0919 must mean about 0750 from Stafford and 0825-ish from Rugby.
Ideal gap-filler.
Snooty Salopians who don't like the long way round via Oxley-Bushbury can drive to Stafford and still pick up up "their" train...

It is actually quicker via Stafford, due to less congestion and higher linespeeds.

Adam :D

Mr Spock

Ideal gap-filler.

Would seem a bit pointless stopping it at Rugby about 8.25ish as there is already a Virgin train at 8.23.

Nym

Established Member
Would seem a bit pointless stopping it at Rugby about 8.25ish as there is already a Virgin train at 8.23.

Could be for pathing, since it may well have caught up anyway, might as well stop there and get everything in the right order to arrive at Euston, could also be that the 8:23 off Rugby may end up being a voyager, so one could join them together...?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Could be for pathing, since it may well have caught up anyway, might as well stop there and get everything in the right order to arrive at Euston, could also be that the 8:23 off Rugby may end up being a voyager, so one could join them together...?

0823 comes from new st so unlikely voyager candidate

Mr Spock

There are not many, if any, Voyagers on Birmingham runs since the latest timetable came into effect.

Pumbaa

Established Member
1523 ex Euston always used to be a 221. Think it still is now, last time I used it was mid January.

Mr Spock

The 15.23 used to be part of the service that started with the early Rugby (via Northampton) to Euston, 08.03 t0 Birmingham, 09.50 to Euston, etc.

I often caught this train from Rugby (10.24) but since the new timetable started it has always been a pendolino.

There has been an occasionin January when I have travelled from Euston on a 221 but this was a result of a last minute stock change.

Status
Not open for further replies.