• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains to Shrewsbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not sure if VT crewing will be able to roster a fixed crew on these trains every day, but as it stands all Shrewsbury services on the weekdays are rostered with three members of staff on what I believe is a single voyager (going forwards from Birmingham New Street) as opposed to the usual two members of staff rostered on other services. All Shrewsbury services are operated with Wolverhampton based catering crew, with the exception of the back set of the 10:23 departure which has two Euston based crew working it who only go as far as Birmingham and then return on the 12:30 departure south.

An interesting point to make is the 16:33 Blackpool North service is actually crewed by Carlisle based catering crew! So would be interesting to know their knowledge, if any, of what to see and do in Blackpool. It's also a very long day for them, they travel down to London on the 09:40 ex Glasgow, up to Blackpool, pass back on empty stock to Preston and then pick up the 18:30 ex Euston to take them home.

It's standard if a Voyager is booked to use Coach D for first class for it to have 3 crew. If it's coach E only for first class, then it's two crew.

12 hour shifts are normal, if not all that common, for VT catering staff, but it will balance out with some shorter shifts during the week as well so that they end up doing they're contracted hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Around 40 people in Standard on departure of the 1524 to Euston today, about 1 in first. they held it in 5 since arrival earlier so 1519 arrival from INTL went onto 4 instead of 5 and 1525 arrival from Aberystwyth was kept stopped on the posts on English Bridge and arrived slightly late into 5 instead of the usual 4.

A SCRUA committee member told us last evening he travels on the Cambrian often, he said his Cambrian train was held outside Shrewsbury due to the VT being in the ATW usual platform, he then ,missed his Gobowen connection which was not held, he complained to customer services who told him his train was not a connecting service to Gobowen anyway, even though he had caught every Monday for six years.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Just because it has worked for 6 years doesnt mean its a connection....

Normal practice at Shrewsbury is for the Holyhead train to be on north of platform 4 to depart at 1524 and the Cambrian arrival comes into 4 behind it and stops 5 yards short of it though scheduled for 1526 it's often a couple of minutes earlier and if you were at the front door of the Cambrian train you'd make it just with some of the more customer savvy staff watching out for runners.

Connecting properly has been raised ad nusueum for years with ATW.

berneyarms

Established Member
Therein lies the problem of the current working timetable running times on the Cambrian - they do not reflect the actual improved running times that have arisen from ERTMS and other improvements.

But as "The Planner" states, there is no scheduled connection.

The Cambrian service is scheduled to arrive at 15:26 and the service to Holyhead is due to depart at 15:24.

So the staff were quite correct I'm afraid.

Hopefully when the new timetable comes into play in May on the Cambrian line, connections will become a bit better at Shrewsbury between the various lines.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
From tonight's Shropshire Star

My MP could be in for a surprise as the service from his station Welshpool is still two hourly and doesn't connect with Virgin at Shrewsbury

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...ink-to-london-a-huge-boost-for-mid-wales-too/

Glyn Davies, Montgomeryshire MP, said the service is "deeply satisfying” news for people in Powys, who would benefit from the new services that run from Shrewsbury, Telford and Wellington.

Mr Davies said: “It is rewarding that all the campaigning we have done over many years to bring better train services to Montgomeryshire is finally coming to

He said the combination of the direct Shrewsbury to Euston service and a new hourly service from Aberystwyth to Birmingham that was launched in May now means that the benefits will spread to thousands of travellers in Mid Wales.

He said: “It will transform rail connectivity for Montgomeryshire, and will be of huge benefit to the local economy.

“The direct link will allow much easier access to London for passengers across Mid Wales.

“The service has been a long time coming, and today finally marks the end of uncertainty in recent years for train users in Montgomeryshire.

“Virgin Trains has made a success of the West Coast Line since taking over the franchise in 1997, and I’ve no doubt that this new service will be hugely successful with passengers and commuters alike.”
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Therein lies the problem of the current working timetable running times on the Cambrian - they do not reflect the actual improved running times that have arisen from ERTMS and other improvements.

But as "The Planner" states, there is no scheduled connection.

The Cambrian service is scheduled to arrive at 15:26 and the service to Holyhead is due to depart at 15:24.

So the staff were quite correct I'm afraid.

Hopefully when the new timetable comes into play in May on the Cambrian line, connections will become a bit better at Shrewsbury between the various lines.

Forden is line speed now instead of a40mph restriction since level crossing was abolished. No doubt ATW will be holding out for as many pathing minutes as possible.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Normal practice at Shrewsbury is for the Holyhead train to be on north of platform 4 to depart at 1524 and the Cambrian arrival comes into 4 behind it and stops 5 yards short of it though scheduled for 1526 it's often a couple of minutes earlier and if you were at the front door of the Cambrian train you'd make it just with some of the more customer savvy staff watching out for runners.

Connecting properly has been raised ad nusueum for years with ATW.

It just seems absurd, when the same toc runs both services,this as gone on for years,my colleague told us a good dozen were headed for the same train,he told us Shrewsbury dispatchers who care looked after them previously and were well aware it was not just the odd one or two who headed to North Wales and Chester off the Cambrian.

berneyarms

Established Member
It just seems absurd, when the same toc runs both services,this as gone on for years,my colleague told us a good dozen were headed for the same train,he told us Shrewsbury dispatchers who care looked after them previously and were well aware it was not just the odd one or two who headed to North Wales and Chester off the Cambrian.

That as may be, but it is not an advertised connection.

Therefore complaining to station staff is a bit unfair.

merlodlliw

Established Member
That as may be, but it is not an advertised connection.

Therefore complaining to station staff is a bit unfair.

Well that's what ATW customer services are there for to listen and explain,I hope the hourly Cambrian trials sort this silly problem out for the benefit of commuters,many of which having caught the same train for six years do not have an in depth knowledge of reason, but want to get home without waiting for another hour on Shrewsbury station for a connection.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Little did I realise the 1023 from London us actually a First Class breakfast service! :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Little did I realise the 1023 from London us actually a First Class breakfast service! :D

A full first class breakfast, or a light breakfast? The full first class breakfast is normally served on trains departing their origin until 09:59. The light breakfast is normally served on trains departing their origin between 10:00 and 10:59, and consists of a single bread roll.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I had a vegetarian breakfast, an omelette with tomato, mushrooms and a very small hash brown and spinach. It was served bizarrely with a small croissant. Tea or coffee and orange juice or water to drink, and 2 offerings from a tray of pastires. Another passenger in my coach ordered porridge. Most people did not take any food, only coffee, presumably because they had already eaten by half past ten. Coach D was also in use as FC Accommodation and I don't know how many people were unlucky enough to end up there.

I'm used to a snack box and a single hot drink in a cardboard cup!

On departure from Wolverhampton there was a drinks and pastry service, which I found amusing as it was after midday by then. I did wonder, should any passengers have joined at Wolverhampton going to Shrewsbury what the reaction would have been if they had tried to order breakfast. The point is of course that nobody would do at that time!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I might try and sneak onto the Voyager on Saturday, as it will give me something to do to break up the 4 and a bit hours I've got in Shrewsbury on the tour I be on

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Well that's what ATW customer services are there for to listen and explain,I hope the hourly Cambrian trials sort this silly problem out for the benefit of commuters,many of which having caught the same train for six years do not have an in depth knowledge of reason, but want to get home without waiting for another hour on Shrewsbury station for a connection.

ATW have for several years spun the line this will be sorted out once the Wrexham redouble happens.

dk1

Veteran Member
According to a tweet to Virgin, the 15.24 up service was very well loaded before Wolves yesterday. School holidays & time of year no doubt played their part but good to hear in week 1.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Passenger information displays and announcements at Wellington through it was a double voyager (but then it was getting everything else wrong too) today. Quite well used

merlodlliw

Established Member
Anyone know what effect this is having on the ATW footfall that proceeds the VT by about six minutes, this also calls at the same stations to Wolves?
ATW have for several years spun the line this will be sorted out once the Wrexham redouble happens.

The part redouble wont be ready for the May 2015 timetable, its running half a year late at the last count, it wont make any difference has extra capacity is not built in other than gaining one extra path an hour (3 to 4) by dualing the 5.5 miles and having speed restrictions on part of this as well.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
The Passenger information displays and announcements at Wellington through it was a double voyager (but then it was getting everything else wrong too) today. Quite well used

That'll be down to the fact it is due to be a double voyager later on the route. Had a similar situation the other day on an XC service, its booked a double voyager later on the route, however it was also then due to divide before destination, so it said about the divide with a 4-car Voyager pulling in! :lol:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Anyone know what effect this is having on the ATW footfall that proceeds the VT by about six minutes, this also calls at the same stations to Wolves?

The part redouble wont be ready for the May 2015 timetable, its running half a year late at the last count, it wont make any difference has extra capacity is not built in other than gaining one extra path an hour (3 to 4) by dualing the 5.5 miles and having speed restrictions on part of this as well.

The 1533 ATW service will still have a fair loading as no one from the Cambrian will have had a chance to change. Av loading is around 60 going forwArd for all services the 1330 ex Aber is one of the busier ones.

berneyarms

Established Member
That's 7 extra carriages in the AM peak from Shropshire into Birmingham with the Voyager and the 0733 from Salop now 6 car ATW 158 but no corresponding increase in PM peak.

To be fair evening peak journeys anywhere tend to be be far more spread out than in the mornings when they are much more concentrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.