• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting all 14 London termini by national rail in a day??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am Broc

Hi everybody!

I love a good rail safari and I've decided to visit all 14 terminus stations in London on one day in December. This is easy enough, but rather than doing it the easy way and going by Underground, I'm going to do it by mainline trains to make it more fun!

I am going to allow walking between stations that are close where necessary.

I should say that I live in Glasgow and don't know the London rail network that well so I'm sure my itinerary could be improved - any tips from seasoned London and South East England rail riders welcome!

Here is my plan:

1 Charing Cross
2 Waterloo East
3 London Bridge
4 Cannon Street
London Bridge
5 Blackfriars
6 St Pancras
West Hampstead Thameslink (Walk to:
West Hampstead
Willesden Junction
Wembley Central (Walk to:
Wembley Stadium
7 Marylebone
Wembley stadium (Walk to:
Wembley Central
8 Euston
Watford Junction
St Albans Abbey (Walk to:
St Albans City
St Pancras
Finsbury Park
9 Kings Cross
Finsbury Park
10 Moorgate
Highbury and Islington
Hackney Central (Walk to:
Hackney Down
11 Liverpool Street
12 Paddington
Farringdon
Herne Hill
13 Victoria
Herne Hill
Liverpool Street
Romford
Upminster
14 Fenchurch Street

(I'm not sure whether I can count Waterloo East as Waterloo or whether I need to go to Waterloo proper too!)

Also, any ideas if I can do this all in one day???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
Note that the Elizabeth Line (which isn't an underground line and IS part of national rail) can be used to easily travel from London Bridge to both Paddington and Liverpool Street

Gloster

Established Member
Why not walk Euston-St Pancras-Kings Cross? It is probably only around twenty minutes maximum.

I wouldn’t count Waterloo East as Waterloo.

You can get from Waterloo to Victoria via Clapham Junction,

Am Broc

I think you are probably right about Waterloo! Sticking in a quick journey to Clapham Junction will be fine - as long as I have the time.

Yes - not far between Euston, St Pancras and King's Cross - but I fancied the challenge!

Am Broc

Note that the Elizabeth Line (which isn't an underground line and IS part of national rail) can be used to easily travel from London Bridge to both Paddington and Liverpool Street
Thanks! I'm planning to use it to go between Paddington and Liverpool street - I've not been to London since the Elizabeth Line opened so I can't wait to try it. I'm going to try the Barking Riverside extension the day before too.

Veteran Member
How are you getting from Herne Hill to Liverpool St - via Farringdon and Liz Line?

Am Broc

Hmmm- good question! I'll have to check. I chopped and changed the itinerary a bit and might well have missed something as I meant to have each train change in.

Am Broc

I've recast the trip a little to include a trip to Waterloo proper as well as Waterloo East. I'm just hoping I have enough time to do it all in one day! That's a lot of train trips!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good luck with your trip :)

To save some time (and money) walk between Euston & St Pancras rather than going via St Alban's?

Am Broc

To save some time (and money) walk between Euston & St Pancras rather than going via St Alban's?
Yes - it's a lengthy rail detour to save a 5 minute walk! I'll cut it out if I'm running low on time. I've never been on the Abbey Flyer before though so this would be an excuse to do that.

miklcct

On Moderation

The shortest way without using unofficial links is to go via Willesden Junction and West Hampstead.

However, there is no official link between the Wembley stations. I would say that a proper challenge would be to visit all terminals by National Rail and use only National Rail services and official walk links between the stations (in such case the only way to access Marylebone is via Oxford!).

If I insist on using National Rail and official links only,
my route will be to start at 1. Marylebone, then Oxford - 2. Paddington - 3. Liverpool Street - Hackney Downs / Hackney Central - Highbury & Islington - 4. Moorgate - Finsbury Park - 5. King's Cross - 6. St Pancras - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - 7. Euston - Willesden Junction - Clapham Junction - 8. Victoria - Clapham Junction - 9. Waterloo - 10. Charing Cross - 11. London Bridge - 12. Cannon Street - London Bridge - 13. Blackfriars - Harringay - Barking - 14. Fenchurch Street.

However, if I am allowed to walk between stations at will without taking the official links into consideration, as this is what the OP's planning, my route will become:

If you allow walking between Euston - St Pancras, then the same argument can be made between Paddington - Marylebone, Liverpool Street - Fenchurch Street, or Moorgate - Liverpool Street as well.

Wembley Stadium - 1. Marylebone - walk to 2. Paddington - Farringdon - 3. St Pancras - walk to 4. Euston - Willesden Junction - Clapham Junction - 5. Victoria - Clapham Junction - 6. Waterloo - 7. Charing Cross - 8. London Bridge - 9. Cannon Street - 10. Blackfriars - St Pancras - 11. Kings Cross - Finsbury Park - 12. Moorgate - 13. Liverpool Street - Farringdon - Liverpool Street - walk to 14. Fenchurch Street - Limehouse.

The above is wholly within zones 1-4.

Roger1973

As an alternative (although missing out on doing the St Albans Abbey line), as you seem to have included St Pancras twice, would Euston - Willesden Junction - Gospel Oak - Haringey Green Lanes - walk to Harringay and then to Kings Cross or Moorgate (GN suburban) from there?

(Also, suggest checking, but I think St Albans is outside Travelcard / Oyster Card / Contactless land. For the whole thing, a travelcard might be better than relying on Oyster or Contactless daily capping, as it can get in a tangle if you take what it considers too long between station A and B, which enthusiasts can fall foul of if they take an unusual route between A and B. Others are more expert in this than I am.)

And again, don't know if doing the Romford - Upminster line is another aim, but if you're classing 'Overground' and the Elizabeth Line as 'main line' then not sure you need to go out that far to get to Fenchurch Street. Liverpool Street - Forest Gate, walk to Wanstead Park - Barking - Fenchurch Street might be quicker than going via Romford and Upminster. (Alternatively, there are C2C trains to Liverpool Street but only on Saturdays. My first thought was they diverted to Liverpool Street after a certain time of evening, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.)

Overground round the south london line to Whitechapel, then change to Elizabeth Line would be one way of doing Liverpool Street (if the Elizabeth Line stations at Liverpool Street and Paddington count) if you end up approaching it from south of the river.

I'd also not count Waterloo East as Waterloo. How about start at Victoria, then Clapham Junction, Waterloo (main) then Charing Cross? The route out of Victoria seems a bit long winded (Victoria - Denmark Hill - Whitechapel - Liverpool Street might be quicker?) but then it might mean doing Liverpool Street - Paddington - Liverpool Street on the Elizabeth Line, and not sure if you're trying to avoid re-tracing your steps.

And does it count if you don't travel outward from any terminus? You only seem to be arriving / leaving Paddington from central London on the Elizabeth Line. Acton Main Line to Acton Central looks walkable if you do want to travel to or from the 'country' side of Paddington.

And if it isn't cheating to walk between terminus stations (your original plan avoids this) then Cannon Street to either City Thameslink or Blackfriars is only about 10 minutes walk.

Have fun!

Am Broc

As an alternative (although missing out on doing the St Albans Abbey line), as you seem to have included St Pancras twice, would Euston - Willesden Junction - Gospel Oak - Haringey Green Lanes - walk to Harringay and then to Kings Cross or Moorgate (GN suburban) from there?

(Also, suggest checking, but I think St Albans is outside Travelcard / Oyster Card / Contactless land. For the whole thing, a travelcard might be better than relying on Oyster or Contactless daily capping, as it can get in a tangle if you take what it considers too long between station A and B, which enthusiasts can fall foul of if they take an unusual route between A and B. Others are more expert in this than I am.)

And again, don't know if doing the Romford - Upminster line is another aim, but if you're classing 'Overground' and the Elizabeth Line as 'main line' then not sure you need to go out that far to get to Fenchurch Street. Liverpool Street - Forest Gate, walk to Wanstead Park - Barking - Fenchurch Street might be quicker than going via Romford and Upminster. (Alternatively, there are C2C trains to Liverpool Street but only on Saturdays. My first thought was they diverted to Liverpool Street after a certain time of evening, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.)

Overground round the south london line to Whitechapel, then change to Elizabeth Line would be one way of doing Liverpool Street (if the Elizabeth Line stations at Liverpool Street and Paddington count) if you end up approaching it from south of the river.

I'd also not count Waterloo East as Waterloo. How about start at Victoria, then Clapham Junction, Waterloo (main) then Charing Cross? The route out of Victoria seems a bit long winded (Victoria - Denmark Hill - Whitechapel - Liverpool Street might be quicker?) but then it might mean doing Liverpool Street - Paddington - Liverpool Street on the Elizabeth Line, and not sure if you're trying to avoid re-tracing your steps.

And does it count if you don't travel outward from any terminus? You only seem to be arriving / leaving Paddington from central London on the Elizabeth Line. Acton Main Line to Acton Central looks walkable if you do want to travel to or from the 'country' side of Paddington.

And if it isn't cheating to walk between terminus stations (your original plan avoids this) then Cannon Street to either City Thameslink or Blackfriars is only about 10 minutes walk.

Have fun!
Wow! Amazing advice. Thanks so much!

Roger1973

Again, depends if walking from one terminus to another is allowed, but both Fenchurch Street and Moorgate are about 10 minutes' walk from Cannon Street, and Moorgate is less than that from Liverpool Street. And Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street are only about half a mile apart as well.

I'm also wondering if the Waterloo and City Line to Bank ought to be included, as it used to be part of BR (and Southern Railway and LSWR before that) but that may be a bit of a niche.

Gloster

Established Member
I'm also wondering if the Waterloo and City Line to Bank ought to be included, as it used to be part of BR (and Southern Railway and LSWR before that) but that may be a bit of a niche.

But remember that The Drain is closed at weekends.

spyinthesky

Easily doable in a day , I did it starting at arriving at Waterloo(1)
Walk to Waterloo East (2)
Charing X (3)
London Bridge (4)
Blackfriars (5)
Return London Bridge
Canon St (6)
Bus / walk Fenchurch St (7)
West Ham
DLR Stratford
Liverpool St (8)
Walk Moorgate (9)
Finsbury Park
Kings Cross (10)
Return Finsbury park
St Pancras (11)
West Hampstead
Gospel Oak (Southampton Arms Pie and pint)
Willesden Junction
Euston(12)
Wembley Central
Walk Wembley Park
Marylebone (13)
Bakerloo to Paddington (14)
Paddington to Acton ML
Return Paddington
Bus to Victoria (15)
Clapham Junction
Waterloo

There must be easier methods but I didn’t plan this except for the Southampton Arms visit, before returning to Salisbury at 20:40 ish I popped to Borough Market to Visit The Rake(pub) and giant Samosas from the market.

Snow1964

Established Member
You should probably add the Moorgate terminus (from Finsbury Park) for completeness

Of course this will give you another way onto Elizabeth Line (at Moorgate)

Purple Train

Established Member
It should be doable in a day - I did it a few weeks ago (including Moorgate but excluding Farringdon).
Paddington -> Victoria (Circle Line) Victoria -> Denmark Hill -> Clapham Junction (Victoria-Clapham Junction direct was closed for engineering works on the day I travelled) -> Waterloo -> Waterloo East -> Charing Cross -> London Bridge -> Cannon Street -> Tower Hill (District Line) -> Fenchurch Street (approximately 20 yards' walk) -> Barking -> (Barking Riverside) Wanstead Park -> Forest Gate (300 yards at most) -> Liverpool Street -> Moorgate (walk through the EL concourse) -> Finsbury Park -> Kings Cross -> St Pancras -> West Hampstead Thameslink -> West Hampstead -> Willesden Junction -> Euston -> Marylebone (walk through Regent's Park - 20 minutes at most excluding long time spent over picnic) -> Harrow-on-the-Hill.

From arrival at Paddington to departure at Marylebone was under 7 hours.

spyinthesky

It should be doable in a day - I did it a few weeks ago (including Moorgate but excluding Farringdon).
Paddington -> Victoria (Circle Line) Victoria -> Denmark Hill -> Clapham Junction (Victoria-Clapham Junction direct was closed for engineering works on the day I travelled) -> Waterloo -> Waterloo East -> Charing Cross -> London Bridge -> Cannon Street -> Tower Hill (District Line) -> Fenchurch Street (approximately 20 yards' walk) -> Barking -> (Barking Riverside) Wanstead Park -> Forest Gate (300 yards at most) -> Liverpool Street -> Moorgate (walk through the EL concourse) -> Finsbury Park -> Kings Cross -> St Pancras -> West Hampstead Thameslink -> West Hampstead -> Willesden Junction -> Euston -> Marylebone (walk through Regent's Park - 20 minutes at most excluding long time spent over picnic) -> Harrow-on-the-Hill.

From arrival at Paddington to departure at Marylebone was under 7 hours.
That’s more like it, 7 hours is good going, mine was nearer 12.
I did include Moorgate and like you not Farringdon.
My pie and a pint was for lunch, by which time I was at 11 Terminii. I didn’t have a plan and decided on the day, I chose walking over tube or bus.

Am Broc

Again, depends if walking from one terminus to another is allowed, but both Fenchurch Street and Moorgate are about 10 minutes' walk from Cannon Street, and Moorgate is less than that from Liverpool Street. And Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street are only about half a mile apart as well.

I'm not going to go on the W&C as part of my "termini crawl" but I totally love the drain and I'm going to visit the day before!

Am Broc

Hi all,

I've rejigged my itinerary! How does this look now??

Thanks everybody for your excellent and friendly advice - you are total legends!

It should all be inside the London rail map now too and be a bit easier. I've added a wee trip out and back to the Paddington terminus now so I hit the buffers at all stations! I've decided to leave the Abbey Flyer for another day and keep it all in the London Connections map!

1​
Victoria
Clapham Junction
2​
Waterloo
Waterloo East
3​
Charing Cross
Waterloo East
4​
London Bridge
5​
Cannon Street
London Bridge
6​
Blackfriars
7​
St Pancras
West Hampstead Thameslink
West Hampstead
Willesden Junction
Wembley Central
Wembley Stadium
8​
Marylebone
Wembley stadium
Wembley Central
9​
Euston
Willesden Junction
Gospel Oak
Harringay Green Lanes
Harringay
Finsbury Park
10​
Kings Cross
Finsbury Park
11​
Moorgate
Highbury and Islington
Hackney Central
Hackney Down
12​
Liverpool Street
13​
Paddington
Acton Main Line
Paddington
Liverpool Street
Forest Gate
Woodgrange Park
Barking
14​
Fenchurch Street

miklcct

On Moderation
I've added a wee trip out and back to the Paddington terminus now so I hit the buffers at all stations!
If you use the word "buffer" in the strictest sense your journey for Paddington, London Bridge and St Pancras won't count, as they are all done on through platforms. In the case of London Bridge, the travel is also in the inside of London as well, similar to taking Thameslink between London Bridge and St Pancras.

Established Member
When you get to Forest Gate, the walk to Wanstead Park is shorter than walking to Woodgrange Park. Manor Park is nearer Woodgrange Park, but still a longer walk than Forest Gate to Wanstead Park.

Would Stratford count as a terminus (LO and GA both have trains that terminate there), or open a can of worms?! Easy to include if you stay on the train from Highbury & Islington to Hackney Central, then get a GA or Liz line train from Stratford to Liverpool St.

miklcct

On Moderation
When you get to Forest Gate, the walk to Wanstead Park is shorter than walking to Woodgrange Park. Manor Park is nearer Woodgrange Park, but still a longer walk than Forest Gate to Wanstead Park.

Would Stratford count as a terminus (LO and GA both have trains that terminate there), or open a can of worms?! Easy to include if you stay on the train from Highbury & Islington to Hackney Central, then get a GA or Liz line train from Stratford to Liverpool St.
Stratford is not a London Terminal, similar to Clapham Junction or anywhere with a buffer outside zone 1.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Forest Gate to Wanstead Park is a super easy walk, 242 yards according to the sign by Wanstead Park station. Come out of the station, turn left and walk straight, you'll see the Overground station ahead of you in no time.

Pro Tip, if you need supplies at Forest Gate, turn right out of the station for the Co-Op a few doors down. It also has a Costa Express machine, which may come in handy!

Might I suggest staying on the Overground train to Barking Riverside, so you can do the new bit while on the route? Saves doing it on a separate trip.

Pro Tip #2: The cafe on platform 1 (London bound) at Hackney Downs is really nice and does some beautiful croissants.

Pro Tip #3: I wasn't planning on this many tips, but the bakery just outside West Hampstead Thameslink (fast line platform side's entrance), I think Wenzel's Bakery but am probably wrong, is worth a stop for some good quality food. I haven't been for a long time, but I fondly remember the meaty stuff I had for its good value.

Have an amazing time, and please do come back and let us know how you get on!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Folks... it occurs to me that this is exactly the sort of trip that would make a good charity challenge...

Status
Not open for further replies.