• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting all 14 London termini by national rail in a day??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am Broc

Forest Gate to Wanstead Park is a super easy walk, 242 yards according to the sign by Wanstead Park station. Come out of the station, turn left and walk straight, you'll see the Overground station ahead of you in no time.

Pro Tip, if you need supplies at Forest Gate, turn right out of the station for the Co-Op a few doors down. It also has a Costa Express machine, which may come in handy!

Might I suggest staying on the Overground train to Barking Riverside, so you can do the new bit while on the route? Saves doing it on a separate trip.

Pro Tip #2: The cafe on platform 1 (London bound) at Hackney Downs is really nice and does some beautiful croissants.

Pro Tip #3: I wasn't planning on this many tips, but the bakery just outside West Hampstead Thameslink (fast line platform side's entrance), I think Wenzel's Bakery but am probably wrong, is worth a stop for some good quality food. I haven't been for a long time, but I fondly remember the meaty stuff I had for its good value.

Have an amazing time, and please do come back and let us know how you get on!
Thanks for your kind tips! I'm already excited about the bakery suggestions!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Am Broc

When you get to Forest Gate, the walk to Wanstead Park is shorter than walking to Woodgrange Park. Manor Park is nearer Woodgrange Park, but still a longer walk than Forest Gate to Wanstead Park.

Would Stratford count as a terminus (LO and GA both have trains that terminate there), or open a can of worms?! Easy to include if you stay on the train from Highbury & Islington to Hackney Central, then get a GA or Liz line train from Stratford to Liverpool St.
Thanks! I'll go to Wanstead Park. I'm not going to count Stratford as a terminus for this, I don't think.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for your kind tips! I'm already excited about the bakery suggestions!!

No worries! Hopefully that bakery in West Hampstead has kept its quality up and not gone downhill in the last few years.

St Pancras, I see you're doing on the low level platforms. Good choice, considering your previous stations, but I would thoroughly recommend going upstairs and seeing the mainline station both on the inside and out. It's a magnificent building that deserves even a short look.

While on that note, have you considerered using the Southeastern HS1 services to Stratford International? They aren't cheap, but they are good fun, and the main reason I suggest it is that you could time it to be there when some Eurostars go through. I don't remember how much they cost right now, I'm sure they aren't included on a paper Travelcard though. Still, worth considering!

I'd also consider, while at St Pancras, walking round the corner to Kings Cross. Another station there worthy of a good look, it's much nicer than it used to be there. If it's a nice and dry day, the area out front could be a good place to stop and have a brew while soaking up the London atmosphere. Two stations done in no time :)

Paddington's trainshed is also worth spending some time admiring, although I am biased there as it is my favourite station anywhere in the world!

Overall I'd say the plan you have looks good, did I read correctly you're doing London the day before as well? So many things to recommend doing across London, but that's an entirely different thread as I could be here for a long time making my list! One of them though is something you may not have considered is a ride along the Thames on one of the Thames Clipper boats. Those things are mighty powerful, and when I did one a few years back the racket was incredibly fun :D

Am Broc

No worries! Hopefully that bakery in West Hampstead has kept its quality up and not gone downhill in the last few years.

St Pancras, I see you're doing on the low level platforms. Good choice, considering your previous stations, but I would thoroughly recommend going upstairs and seeing the mainline station both on the inside and out. It's a magnificent building that deserves even a short look.

While on that note, have you considerered using the Southeastern HS1 services to Stratford International? They aren't cheap, but they are good fun, and the main reason I suggest it is that you could time it to be there when some Eurostars go through. I don't remember how much they cost right now, I'm sure they aren't included on a paper Travelcard though. Still, worth considering!

I'd also consider, while at St Pancras, walking round the corner to Kings Cross. Another station there worthy of a good look, it's much nicer than it used to be there. If it's a nice and dry day, the area out front could be a good place to stop and have a brew while soaking up the London atmosphere. Two stations done in no time :)

Paddington's trainshed is also worth spending some time admiring, although I am biased there as it is my favourite station anywhere in the world!

Overall I'd say the plan you have looks good, did I read correctly you're doing London the day before as well? So many things to recommend doing across London, but that's an entirely different thread as I could be here for a long time making my list! One of them though is something you may not have considered is a ride along the Thames on one of the Thames Clipper boats. Those things are mighty powerful, and when I did one a few years back the racket was incredibly fun :D
Fab tips, thanks! The day before I'm planning to try out Mail Rail - and the day before that I'm planning to go to Southend and go on the pier railway - if it's open in December!! Good idea as regards Stratford International.

I've been to St Pancras and Kings Cross and Paddington and a few of the other termini before but not to Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, Charing Cross or Blackfriars. I see that a new Routemaster service has started up too https://www.londonerbuses.co.uk/tourist-bus-route-a so I'm going to go on that assuming it is running when I'm there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That pier railway is on my list of things to do, it's been pushed back to the ever-growing 23 List. As soon as one thing comes off the list, at least one more is waiting to fill the spot! Maybe I should write this list down one day, I might get it done then! Southend looks like a decent enough place to visit, I've only seen it properly on a flying visit in October 2021. Are you doing the last bit of the c2c line while out there to get it done too?

Mail Rail is on my list but I keep forgetting it exists! It looks incredibly cramped, but good fun too. Something for the winter months!

Purple Train

Established Member
While on that note, have you considerered using the Southeastern HS1 services to Stratford International? They aren't cheap, but they are good fun, and the main reason I suggest it is that you could time it to be there when some Eurostars go through. I don't remember how much they cost right now, I'm sure they aren't included on a paper Travelcard though. Still, worth considering!:D
Good idea as regards Stratford International.
The cost is £4.40 off-peak and £6.30 in the peak for a single fare between St Pancras and Stratford International, using Oyster or contactless that is :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The cost is £4.40 off-peak and £6.30 in the peak for a single fare between St Pancras and Stratford International, using Oyster or contactless that is :D

Thanks, that's not too bad then :) I must remember to do it when I'm next in London on a red pen fest, I have a number of 395s to go after!

BJames

Established Member

Not to drag off topic too far but Wenzel's is decent (it's expanded, too - only really became aware of it when one came to Enfield a couple of years ago)
If in West Hampstead I really like Lola's Bakery, it's the bakery part of Lola's Cupcakes (which have stands in a few Underground stations and shopping centres) but does some really great stuff. It's a minute's walk from West Hampstead Thameslink station (use the side exit by Platform 1).

Fully agree that you should take some time to have a good look around St Pancras and King's Cross, and have a little wonder down to Coal Drops Yard if you have any spare time - have found it a reallly good meeting spot for me and my friends living across London from each other.

As you say so much to recommend for London, a truly fabulous place to spend some time.

Last edited:

Class800

Established Member
Good itinerary - only downside is not using the 'terminus' part of St Pancras but it's hard to do that - as Thameslink services only use platforms 1-4 (upstairs) at very specific times - such as early on Sunday mornings - or if there are engineering works. Otherwise, everything from the terminus is first stop Luton (edit to clarify Airport Parkway - for any pedants!) or further

Status
Not open for further replies.