• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting the Normandy beaches without a car - is it practical?

PTR 444

Established Member
One of many places I have never been but would like to visit at some point is the Normandy coast in France. Its fame for hosting the D-Day landings on its purposely named beaches brings with it global appeal, and thus is very popular with tourists. I expect it will be even more so this year with the 80th anniversary of the landings.

The issue is, rural France is not particularly renowned for having any practical public transport other than a few trains per day. There is the main line from Cherbourg to Paris via Caen (handy for somebody coming from Poole), but this doesn’t run near the beaches. Looking at this map…

…it appears that there is a bus route from Ouistreham to Grandcamp Massy which cuts inland to connect with the railway at Bayeux, although the website doesn’t seem to show any publicity as to when and how frequently it runs.

Bayeux is only 5 miles from the coast, so for a fit person a return walk or cycle to Omaha and Gold beaches is definitely possible. I’d imagine however even if there wasn’t any public transport, there must at least some sort of package coach operation to ferry tourists from the station (or beyond) to the beaches at peak visiting times.

So the question is, can you visit the Normandy beaches without a car? Has anyone on here attempted to do so?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

If cycling is your thing, that is the best way to visit to the beaches - you can stop off at various points without having to worry about the (sparse) bus services. The EuroVelo4 / La Vélomaritime route runs right along the coast from Caen to Cherbourg.

Vélomaritime

Bicycle hire available in Bayeaux and Caen.

flymo

Established Member
I have actually wanted to do the same thing for years, might get round to it soon. Don't fancy driving on the 'wrong side of the road' so it would be public transport probably. Thanks for the thread, interesting stuff.

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. The route in question appears to be the 120 (Grandcamp Massy - Bayeux) and 121 (Bayeux - Coursuelles Sir Mer) operated by Nomad Car, albeit with only two journeys per day.
Might be worth checking the summer holiday timetable? Can't imagine there isn't a bus out to the coast and back in July/August...

Edit: slightly better than that - https://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/

Last edited: