• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteer Signaller for Heritage railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radarman

Good Afternoon good people,

I'm writing this post to ask a little question:
I've been in for a visit at Didcot Railway Centre today with a view of volunteering there as a Signaller/Shunter.

I've already tried a Network Rail recruitment to become a Signaller last year, going all the way to the interview but not succeding and I wanted to use this opportunity to try the job first hand before applying again.

Any of you guys volunteer for Heritage railways as Signaller and can share their experiences? Or maybe talk me out if it's a terrible idea!

Consider that I come from a full aviation background and only had an interest in railway quite recently!

Thank you in advance
Agostino

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I would very much recommend it, and the experience that it brings (used sensibly!) will help you in any future applications for any safety-critical role. It takes serious long-term commitment though, especially on the major heritage railways which tend to have a more complex operation and more rules and regs to consider - in the GCR's signalling school, we do in eight Sundays what Network Rail do (or did, when I did it) in thirteen weeks of full-time study. It's a most enjoyable pastime though - well worth it, if you're so inclined, not just for the job application!

Status
Not open for further replies.