• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteering on Main Line Steam Charters

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I have travelled on many steam and a few diesel railtours over the post 15 years or so and have been considering on board volunteering, starting off by contacting one or two of the steam loco owners to see if they need anyone and how it may work. I have found the contact details for some of these loco trusts/operators etc, but don't seem to be having much luck re Flying Scotsman, does anyone know if one has to do that via the National Rail Museum in York only?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You won't get into the Scotsman lot. Run by IRE for the NRM and on board staff are provided by the charter operator just like all other charters. Loco people are fitters and the like. Like trying to volunteer for UK Railtours by offer your voluntary services to DB Cargo...

Most mainline preserved work with steam you can't walk into. Plus stewarding usually involves people you know in the right places.

Perhaps lower your sights/standards somewhat and find a preserved line

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I don't know for certain, but I would guess that stewards on excursion trains have to be fully trained and have the same type of qualifications as do stewards at public events.

theironroad

Established Member
If it's support crew that you are interested in, you may find this page of interest; http://www.standard4.com/crew.html

The picture painted there is fairly accurate regarding what support crewing entails and if that doesn't put you off, good luck!

Interesting link.

Having read the support crew page and application form notes, I'm curious as to who the volunteers are? It seems you need to self fund a lot and be able to spend days away from home, sometimes at short notice.

Almost only sounds suitable for retirees.

I think that's the point. Volunteering on preserved line uses your time and money. Volunteering mainline uses those plus dedication, annual leave and most of your life

Most won't have you anyway unless you've got a lot of background in rail or effort in preservation

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You're better off volunteering on your local preserved line. Trust me on that

Jamescoeby

Being in the US I am somewhat behind the news from the UK. Im planning a vacation in the summer and was going to try and get to see some main line steam.

Does anyone know the current state of play of steam on the main line?

Are West Coast running again now?

Darandio

Established Member
Being in the US I am somewhat behind the news from the UK. Im planning a vacation in the summer and was going to try and get to see some main line steam.

Does anyone know the current state of play of steam on the main line?

Are West Coast running again now?

West Coast are running again, yes, and steam is running on the main line.

This could of course all change between now and the summer.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Most that I know who are involved with support crews are active preserved line volunteers. You get known by the owning groups through establishing your self as loco crew and by helping with maintenance on mainline registered locos based on your home railway. You've got to learn the basics first. Some of the more able have gone on to become "firemen" for West Coast.

If the OP is not getting anywhere with Scotsman, he could try approaching the SNG group, who I'm sure would appreciate assistance with the ongoing overhaul at York.

Status
Not open for further replies.