• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteering

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

So, after looking at some stuff on the Severn Valley Railway I have become interested in volunteering, now im only 15, very anti social and in south wales.. Does anyone have any Ideas how to approach this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member

YorkshireBear

Established Member
hello,

So, after looking at some stuff on the Severn Valley Railway I have become interested in volunteering, now im only 15, very anti social and in south wales.. Does anyone have any Ideas how to approach this?
I would just say that volunteering on a heritage railway is just the sort of thing to make you more social, which will ultimately set you up well for adult life.

I have had many shy, anti social young people come through my department on a heritage railway and quite soon become significantly more confident and sociable after some time and effort on our part.

A number of SVR Steam enthusiasts volinteer at the Perrgrove narrow gauge railway that is in the Forest of Dean so closer to South Wales

I’m guessing he’s looking for something closer to home
I'm alright with travelling to the SVR but that's as far as I would go..

Was looking at Gwili Steam Railway and a few others but I'm still unsure

That's what I was looking at see...

Established Member
hello,

I would just say that volunteering on a heritage railway is just the sort of thing to make you more social, which will ultimately set you up well for adult life.

I have had many shy, anti social young people come through my department on a heritage railway and quite soon become significantly more confident and sociable after some time and effort on our part.
Indeed. I was quite shy to begin with when I joined the railway I am with about a year ago but have now become more sociable and end up going most weekends. Even now showing some of the new volunteers 'the ropes'.

Looking at where you are. There is a railway within 90mins travel time on public transport. It is the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway. Website can be found here - https://www.llanellirailway.co.uk/

At the same railway there is two EMU groups including the London Transport Traction Group which have x2 1938 london underground stock and the Class 315 preservation society as well as the cab yard. Links can be found below

two other railways within 90mins on public transport are the Barry Tourist Railway and Gwili Railway.

I hope this information helps.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is the Blaenavon Heritage Railway in South Wales - maybe worth a visit and chat to them.

Tim M

A bit further away, but there are many opportunities to volunteer on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways. The FR Societies website has a section on volunteering including low cost accommodation, do look at the section on the Young Volunteers Training Week. I first volunteered on the FR at 16, and 55 years later it still draws me in! As we say it’s all ‘Jolly Good Fun’.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Since the OP is only 15 He might find that many railways will not be willing to take him on without parental supervision.

Ksp

Looking at where you are. There is a railway within 90mins travel time on public transport. It is the Llanelli & Mynydd Mawr Railway. Website can be found here - https://www.llanellirailway.co.uk/

At the same railway there is two EMU groups including the London Transport Traction Group which have x2 1938 london underground stock and the Class 315 preservation society as well as the cab yard. Links can be found below

two other railways within 90mins on public transport are the Barry Tourist Railway and Gwili Railway.

I hope this information helps.
I'm a volunteer for a railway in Fife, Leven. We just received the 313 121 from network rail. Its good that people take interest in these EMUs as maybe they won't run again but atleast they're not forgotten to the scrap men

Tim M

Since the OP is only 15 He might find that many railways will not be willing to take him on without parental supervision.
That’s one of the advantages of the Ff&WHR Young Volunteers Training Week. Working with up to 40 young people between the ages of 14 and 16 with full supervision with both work and leisure activities included, this annual event has been popular for some decades. There are today quite a few volunteers and full time paid staff on the railway who started on YVTW, some achieving quite senior positions in the organisation. Others have embarked on a career on the ‘big railway’ as a result of their experience.

When I was around your age, I was in a similar position. I wanted to get involved in a heritage railway but wasn't sure how to do it or, whether I was old enough. I can't speak for other railways, but at my railway we have a few volunteers who are aged around 10-11 under parental supervision and a few who are 14-16 who do non operational jobs, when volunteers turn 16 they're allowed to start training for operational jobs.

Go to your local heritage railway, there are plenty near you, ask to join and see how you can help. The longer you put it off, the more you will regret not doing it sooner.

I'm a volunteer for a railway in Fife, Leven. We just received the 313 121 from network rail. Its good that people take interest in these EMUs as maybe they won't run again but atleast they're not forgotten to the scrap men
Thank you for your kind words. If you go to the 313 thread you will find a post from Sera01uk (Graeme) about the 313 at fife. Graeme is the chairman of the hett (owners of the 4SUB). https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...awal-storage-scrapping-updates.231486/page-49

Status
Not open for further replies.