• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voluntry work, dont do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert2000

Im unemployed and I do voluntry work, but im bored, i wana get paid for what i do, plus i was told its better for my CV, infact im still not getting interviews.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Im unemployed and I do voluntry work, but im bored, i wana get paid for what i do, plus i was told its better for my CV, infact im still not getting interviews.

That's a pretty sad attitude to take. I can understand why you want to get paid but there are some charities etc... that rely on voluntary staff so to say don't do voluntary work is pretty poor to be honest.

If you're not getting interviews then you need to concentrate on how you are approaching applying for interviews and whether your CV is in fact something that prospective employers would want to read rather than one they file under T straight away

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm sad to hear it is making you feel that way, do you really get no joy or satisfaction from it? Ditto comments above, though jobs are scarce at the moment, there must be something for you, get competitive !!!:)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm unemployed and I do voluntary work, but I'm bored, I want to get paid for what I do. I was told it's better for my CV, however I'm still not getting interviews.
You won't get interviews if your CV and covering letter are written in a similar style to your posts here. (Sorry if that seems harsh; but it's true). I have edited your quote above in a style that would be acceptable to an employer to demonstrate ;)

Why not do some part time courses while doing voluntary work? An English course would be good.

See http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/writecv/ for CV advice.

Also, are you using FireFox to browse the web? If you install FireFox, and go to Tools > AddOns, you can get the British English Dictionary. This will ensure that your spelling is checked for every post you make on this, and any other, forum, email etc. Every time you make a mistake, you can learn from it and improve your English skills. I do that (when I'm not on my mobile), and I'm still learning how to spell some words (some I struggle with at times like privatisation!)

You have to have a good CV and covering letter (and therefore a good command of the English language) to get an interview these days, because many places get huge numbers of applicants. If yours does not stand out, it will get binned. Once that hurdle is over, they will want someone with experience (that's where voluntary work helps) and who has good personal skills, also someone who sticks at the work and doesn't get bored is also more likely to get the job!

David

Established Member
Volunteering at a charity can be a great experiance, and an easy way to gain new skills (providing you volunteer for long enough, and not just 1 or 2 months). For example, cash handling and dealing with customers.

Not only that, it is an excuse to get out of the house for 1 or 2 days a week, something I was more than happy to do when I was long term unemployed.

robert2000

Well I do get a New Deal railcard while i'm on New Deal, but The courses are a waste of money, as some of you may know, we just sit around doing nothing and just reading papers all day of them courses.

David

Established Member
Erm, if you think all of the courses are a waste of time and money, then there is no hope for you.

To start with, you need to identify which courses and services will benefit you most. Going by your 2 posts in this topic, a basic English course and CV writing service will benefit you the most at the minute.

In the mean time, keep on volunteering, as you never know what may happen. A position may open somewhere and skills gained while volunteering can be of benefit when you apply.

robert2000

the course im on told me my cv is ok and up to date.
my english is level 2 which is good.
i do not write like this on my cv, this is my internet/fecebook/msn writing.

2 thing i keep mentioning to them which they say they cant help me with, 1. application forms, and 2. answering tough questions at interviews.

Geezertronic

Established Member
i do not write like this on my cv, this is my internet/fecebook/msn writing

People seem to think that because they are sitting behind a computer typing on a forum or even Facebook, or if you are texting on a mobile phone, it is an excuse to type (or text) differently from how you would normally. That in my opinion is just plain stupid and my 13 year old daughter knows my thoughts on that as well. I have told her it is a chavvy thing to do <(

Darandio

Established Member

Ditto to Geezertronic's comments above.

I used to run a business as a CV writer and have been previously employed on some of the big, government funded employment schemes tendered out to the provate sector.

The best advice I would give is not to even let your guard down on a forum. Internet/MSN/Facebook writing can lead to habits that are hard to break, mostly it becomes second nature and there were increasing times when application forms would have an element of text speak in them, even when the person had no idea they had even done it!

It's also worth bearing in mind that potential employers do even look at Facebook when trying to build a picture of prospective candidates. ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

2 thing i keep mentioning to them which they say they cant help me with, 1. application forms, and 2. answering tough questions at interviews.
1) Are you disrespecting us? ;) (Joking aside, there's a serious side to that question, and txt spk is against the forum rules).
2) Do you not need the practice?

Aictos

Established Member
Talking of volunteering, it's not all working in charity shops you know ;)
There are preserved railways which cry out for volunteers and not just drivers.

Established Member
If I hadn't done voluntary work, I probably wouldn't have got my job. I was talking to HR about it a while back, and they said that it was the voluntary work that put me above a couple of others who might have got it instead.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Experience gained leading working parties for a charity, was crucial in helping me get my first management job, post university. That was in the middle of the last recession, so I would suggest it can be of considerable benefit.

Preserved railways are customer facing business, so you can get considerable relevant experience working for them.

scotsman

Established Member
I do vountary work with 3 organisations, one involved with youth politics and two railway preservation societies. I honestly don't care about not being paid, it's immensely fun and rewarding work and I wouldn't give it up for the world!

I think the problem here is you're doing the wrong voluntary work. If I did work in a charity shop I think I'd be bored out my tree, you just need to see what JCP will be happy to let you volunteer for.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To start with, you need to identify which courses and services will benefit you most.

With respect, that's the job of JobCentrePlus. They're remit is to identify the individual needs of each claimant and work together with them to ensure that they get on the best program to suit them and then, the best education/training/work experience is undertaken.

robert2000

these courses dont work, they are rubbish.
it gives me a new deal travel card as i said before, but utter rubbish.

there should be a scheme where any places opening will only take on unemployed, preferebly long term/on new deal.

Dai.

Established Member
I'd have to disagree with not doing voluntary work.

I've done volunteer work for over 3 years now, I started volunteering when I was about 17/18 years old and it does wonders for you.

I'm now going to start job hunting but keep volunteering on the side.

It does look absolutely amazing on a Curriculum Vitae and does wonders with employment, it just has to be relevant.

i.e. if you want to work in a vets, volunteer for the RSPCA not a train company.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I agree with most on here that doing voluntary work is a good thing - I've done various bits and it has given a sense of achievement as well as helping personal confidence. I'm sure there was one time when I wouldn't have been happy to stand up in front of an audience at an AGM and give a report!

Dai mentions it has to be relevant to employment, but whilst that may be helpful, I don't believe it is essential - I went for one job which had no connection with the voluntary work I did, but mentioned it in the 'interests' section. One of the interviewers had obviously spotted this, as she asked me about it and it turned out she did similar work.

In my mind, the OP comes across as having a negative attitude towards things - I wonder if his application forms reflect this given that he is not getting interviews?

AlexS

Established Member
I work full time and still do voluntary work. I enjoy my voluntary work far more than my actual job :P

scotsman said:
With respect, that's the job of JobCentrePlus. They're remit is to identify the individual needs of each claimant and work together with them to ensure that they get on the best program to suit them and then, the best education/training/work experience is undertaken.

To some extent though people have to help themselves - if you're interested in something you need to tell 'em that. If you want an SIA badge, let them know and quite often they will sort it out etc.

JCP definately aren't psychic and the more you put into discussions with them the more you will get out of it I think.

And try not to see the New Deal railcard as a perk that would be a factor in how likely you are to take a job - having employment is worth far more than having a railcard.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's sad that you are feeling the way do Robert, but it's alos understnadable as being unemployed is devastating to slef confidence and self esteem. These are two things that cna and should be helped by voluntary work - you should be feeling better about yourself because you are, hopefully, proving that you are good are whatever it is you are doing.

If this is not the case, as it appears, you may need to look at whether you have been doing the right sort of work for you. You will nedd to ask yourself some hard questions along the lines of

What sort of things am I good at?
What things do I enjoy doing?
What skills and ecperience do I have?

Once you've answered a few questions like those, you might have some idea about what would be right for you.

During my time, I've done a lot of unpaid work. I've helped coach junior football, I have served on the committee of a sports and social club, and I;ve helped backstage with a theatre group. I've enjoyed all these things, and I;ve found they have helped me in my working life too. But I know I could never volunteer for the Samaritans, volunteer in a charity shop or be a flag seller on the street, those sorts of roles simply aren't 'me'.

CarterUSM

Established Member
these courses dont work, they are rubbish.
it gives me a new deal travel card as i said before, but utter rubbish.

there should be a scheme where any places opening will only take on unemployed, preferebly long term/on new deal.

Come on mate! Less negativity! It is hard to keep your chin up sometimes, but you really must not fall into the trap of "everything's rubbish ", this attitude WILL come across at interview, stay cool and with a bit of effort and positivity your time will come.:)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I second that. I was out of work for a long time in the 1980's when I was 18-22, and CarterUSM is right, I haven't really looked back since I got my first break!

Geezertronic

Established Member
I second that. I was out of work for a long time in the 1980's when I was 18-22, and CarterUSM is right, I haven't really looked back since I got my first break!

I agree with that because that is sometimes all it takes, one lucky break. Being in the right place at the right time and all that can help too, and you never know that break might come when you are doing some voluntary work ;)

richw

Veteran Member
, infact im still not getting interviews.

contradictive of the bit i've highlighted in bold below!

as a person who does interviews etc for my employment the CVs we get in from the job centre that the job centre have apparently worked on and helped develop, they are quite horrendously poor, so i wouldnt believe the job centre or courses word on that, CVs that have been produced by school leavers with help of school teachers are far worse though, these are the 2 groups i'd expect higher from in all honesty

if you want me to give your cv a read over, send me a Private Message,and i'll send you my email address to send CV as an attachment, and i'll try to help you out, as someone who does recruitment i'm happy to help you with some tips!

Railsigns

Established Member
contradictive of the bit i've highlighted in bold below!

as a person who does interviews etc for my employment the CVs we get in from the job centre that the job centre have apparently worked on and helped develop, they are quite horrendously poor, so i wouldnt believe the job centre or courses word on that, CVs that have been produced by school leavers with help of school teachers are far worse though, these are the 2 groups i'd expect higher from in all honesty

if you want me to give your cv a read over, send me a Private Message,and i'll send you my email address to send CV as an attachment, and i'll try to help you out, as someone who does recruitment i'm happy to help you with some tips!

With respect, I think he'd benefit more from having somebody with good literacy skills checking his CV.

These are dark days, Tories showing their true colours, making people work for their dole, correct me if I'm wrong surely this is illegal, we have a national minimum wage? Forcing people to do this is disgraceful & is putting JSA claimants next to persons being punished with community service. It's also leaning toward slavery, this is a desperate policy of persecuting citizens in the name of "the economy" by a right wing party. Remind anyone of anything? It does me, & I find this disturbing. I hope it doesn't gather too much support from the middle - upper classes... but it will <(

I'd dearly love another job right now (have done for a few years) but do not want to feel like I'm standing on a cliff.

Sorry @ rant :|

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
making people work for their dole, correct me if I'm wrong surely this is illegal, we have a national minimum wage?

I don't get what you mean here, if someone is working they will get at least minimum wage if they're on the dole they don't have a job so can't be on minimum wage!

Remind anyone of anything? It does me, & I find this disturbing.

What does it remind you of? Because nothing particularly sticks out to my mind.

richw

Veteran Member
With respect, I think he'd benefit more from having somebody with good literacy skills checking his CV.

i think you'll find this is a forum, not a job application, english test etc without knowing my background i suggest you keep comments to yourself, as how i type on a forum is not how i speak, or write a forum is an informal manner! a forum is an informal environment and at present i have my 3 week old daughter on my lap, and am not bothered about how i type in an informal forum.
when a forum becomes a literacy test i shall start writing formally on them, until then i will carry on in my informal manner,

Status
Not open for further replies.