• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voluntry work, dont do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert2000

being told to move house is not a good point to make to any1 who is on the dole and lookin for work,

it took me ages to get my flat in Chester, i got friends, family, etc.

I am on one of these courses, all we ever do is go on internet and read newspapers, which I can do at home.
The good thing about these courses is ofcourse I mention again the New Deal pass.

I have been unemployed for 3 years, but if i'm hardly ever getting interviews then either the CV is not getting delivered, i.e. internet, post. Or the CV is wrong after I was told it was ok by a course member of staff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
being told to move house is not a good point to make to any1 who is on the dole and lookin for work,

I am on one of these courses, all we ever do is go on internet and read newspapers, which I can do at home.
The good thing about these courses is ofcourse I mention again the New Deal pass.

I have been unemployed for 3 years, but if i'm hardly ever getting interviews then either the CV is not getting delivered, i.e. internet, post. Or the CV is wrong after I was told it was ok by a course member of staff.

I'm not sure what you're after by posting on here? Several people have given good advice but you seem rather keen on ignoring it.

CarterUSM

Established Member

I didn't specifically tell you what advice, i think you can make your own mind up on that mate!!
:D I do hope however, there is something positive that has perhaps made you think.:)

Engineer EA

One car forum i view, for information but haven't registered on, i have found some posts illegible they are that bad, and other posts are in text speak, which i've never understood. My partner is constantly laughing when i dont understand half the text messages i get and i need to get her to "translate" them for me

here is an example from a thread on the remaining un-named forum, there's about 6 or 7 posts in the same thread with one word answers, such as "yeah", "na", "lol", you see where its coming from!

I suggest you should be a little more discerning in the fora you view: :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
After 3 years of unemployment, I don't think it's too surprising that Robert is finding it hard to be positive and find motivation for himself!

Having said that, a lot of the advice people have given is very good advice indeed. Clearly something is not going right, either Robert is not applying for suitable jobs or his CV is not as good as his advisers have said. The latter doesn't surprise me. There are a lot of private companies involved in delivering job search related services now. I believe many of them are only interested in seeing unemployed people for the revenue. They are not interested in helping them to actually find work! A quick look at the CV, tell the person it's fine, send them away and pocket the cash!

In Llanelli, JCP use several private suppliers for CV checking, developing business ideas, job search courses and the like. Some are far better than others! All of these activities would have been undertaken in house in the 1980's when I was long term unemployed.

Geezertronic

Established Member
There are jobs out there but as one poster said they might not be the sort of job you'd desire for (charity shops, park cleaners etc...). Personally, if you don't want to take such a job if it is offered to you, I have no sympathy for you at all.

When I was at college (doing an IT course) I worked at McDonalds to earn some cash. When I left college I took a summer job working in an ice cream factory cleaning and I used to help my Dad who worked part time for a furniture mover company (that was to supplement his income as he was a Fireman at the time) for a couple of quid a time. Then after many applications for IT positions, I eventually took a job doing admin for a Freight Forwarder (for £3750 p/a - in early 1990s before the minimum wage). After two years of that (and many applications for an IT job), I finally got an intern-type IT job working for a college and from there I have not looked back.

I am fortunate enough to have made my own luck as far as my career is concerned but if I had to, I'd certainly go back to a "non desirable" job if needs must. I work in IT now and do pretty well out of it, but it was only a couple of years ago when the mother-in-law was sick that I helped out doing her morning cleaning job for a couple of weeks before doing my normal days work (so she wouldn't loose money and get replaced)

As far as spelling and forum speak is concerned, I hate text speak and all that crap and I try to articulate myself the same way as what I would if you were face to face with me. I don't text speak in real life so I don't see the need to do it in a forum. My grammar is not the best but I always try to spell correctly otherwise the 'Allo 'Allo policeman might visit... :D

the sniper

Established Member
I wish you good fortune with your placement finding!

Also where is my medal ;)

Thanks. :)

And your medal is in the post, with the address 'Ainsworth74, Redcar'; fingers crossed it'll make it to you safely! :D

There are jobs out there but as one poster said they might not be the sort of job you'd desire for (charity shops, park cleaners etc...). Personally, if you don't want to take such a job if it is offered to you, I have no sympathy for you at all.

This isn't my issue though. I'd be happy to be a park cleaner full time if I were earning what a council park cleaner earns. What I object to is being forced to do the job for less the half the minimum wage!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed but this is for a moderator to private message the offending poster and remind them and find out about the poster, rather than all to target the member publicly for making a post for poor grammar. If someone has difficulties it can be quite humiliating and dent confidence having people publicly slating you over something you can't help, and is in fact bullying, which I'm pretty certain would also be prohibited by forum rules. A quick PM by a moderator can determine whether the poster has such difficulties and not be humiliating to the poster! This needs reviewing as on several threads I've seen there are several posts publicly criticising grammar and spelling. I really hope the members who've been criticised don't suffer from any condition that affects there ability to write in a correct manner.
There has been no "bullying" or "public slating". If you ever see any bullying please click this
report.gif
icon by the offending post and report it.

If you are referring to me, I gave advice on how to install the British English Dictionary Add-On to FireFox, this was in response to the OP asking for help with getting a job and stated he wasn't getting past the stage of employers looking at his CV. I also demonstrated how I use that dictionary to correct mistakes myself. Of course, if using a mobile device, some posts may not be up to the usual standards, I recognised that in my post too.

By the way, to demonstrate how easy and effective the software is, I right-clicked a few times when I posted this and corrected your quote above in about 5 seconds. It really is a fantastic free piece of software. To recommend someone uses it is not, in any way, a criticism.

Edit: just realised I've repeated a lot of what dan_atki said later in the thread, sorry!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd be happy to be a park cleaner full time if I were earning what a council park cleaner earns. What I object to is being forced to do the job for less the half the minimum wage!

Agreed. I think most people have done, will do, or are doing an undeisrable job! The difference is it's a lot more bearable if you are being paid the going rate and getting much the same pay as someone else doing the job, even if it's just the NMW.

When you are doing it jut for the benefits you receive, it must be soul destroying. I don;t see how anyone's confidence or self esteem can go up in that situation!

I remember when my father, an engineer and a pretty skilled person was unemployed at the age 61. He got a temporary job at Sainsbury's stacking shelves for whatever the minimum wage was then, and came home in tears one morning, as he felt like a total failure.

I have a lot of sympathy for many unemployed people, who are in that position through no fault of their own. Should we really take away all of their dignity by reducing them to being little more than slaves?

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
This isn't my issue though. I'd be happy to be a park cleaner full time if I were earning what a council park cleaner earns. What I object to is being forced to do the job for less the half the minimum wage!

But sometimes if you need a way in through the door, might it be worth doing it in the short term and prove you can do the job so that the employer looks at you favourably?

the sniper

Established Member
But sometimes if you need a way in through the door, might it be worth doing it in the short term and prove you can do the job so that the employer looks at you favourably?

Well that is the hope. If I do end up going down that route, which I nearly certainly will have to, I'll do my best and give a good account of myself, but considering the high turnover of people that these placements get through, it's probably unlikely that they'd be able to offer everybody good anything paid and permanent, but we shall see.

richw

Veteran Member
There has been no "bullying" or "public slating". If you ever see any bullying please click this
report.gif
icon by the offending post and report it.

If you are referring to me, I gave advice on how to install the British English Dictionary Add-On to FireFox, this was in response to the OP asking for help with getting a job and stated he wasn't getting past the stage of employers looking at his CV. I also demonstrated how I use that dictionary to correct mistakes myself. Of course, if using a mobile device, some posts may not be up to the usual standards, I recognised that in my post too.

By the way, to demonstrate how easy and effective the software is, I right-clicked a few times when I posted this and corrected your quote above in about 5 seconds. It really is a fantastic free piece of software. To recommend someone uses it is not, in any way, a criticism.

Edit: just realised I've repeated a lot of what dan_atki said later in the thread, sorry!

No I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to many posts throughout this forum, not just in this thread where several posts are more concerned about people's grammar but many other threads too. Spend an hour going through various threads you'll find what i'm referring to. Really gets irritating reading a thread, and then you come to several posts relating to grammar and literacy skills rather than the subject the thread is about!

Established Member
robert2000, if you want more satisfying voluntary work, I'd recommend doing things with the BTCV. It gets you out and about, you meet good people, help out in the community and just generally have a laugh. I spent a few months doing things with them and had a great time, especially in the snow :D
I think I might go do some more with them for the next few weeks after I finish up at work on friday.

Doing work with them is good for you, good for your CV and good for the community as well.

Have a look here for stuff in Chester:
http://www.btcv.org.uk/cgi-bin/office_opps_ind.cgi?ref=20001&region=nw

/plug :lol:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Excellent suggestions there, 90019 !

Please let us know how you get on, robert2000, will you?

I've always admired people who can do dry stone walling - its one of those skills that look easy but definitely has 'a nack' and experence behind it; and I always get frustrated at my inability to get plants to grow the way I hoped they would. Sounds good!

Hope you've found some useful thoughts on here Robert2000. I do a lot of unpaid work myself and love it. But it does get in the way of my paid work, seriously.

Established Member
Excellent suggestions there, 90019 !

Please let us know how you get on, robert2000, will you?

I've always admired people who can do dry stone walling - its one of those skills that look easy but definitely has 'a nack' and experence behind it; and I always get frustrated at my inability to get plants to grow the way I hoped they would. Sounds good!

I spent most of the time cutting back foliage, helping lay paving slabs and bolting down benches in a park to stop chavs throwing them into the pond :lol:

It was hard work a lot of the time, but it was a laugh and I had a good time :D

herdster

I have to agree with Geeztronic . I have some sympathy for the OP but unfortunately in the present economic climate we can't all pick and chose our jobs. We sometimes have to do things we don't like or want to do to progress to the next stage. I for example had an excellent well paid job for many years and packed it in to go self employed in 2003 .All was well for a few years untill the recession and i had to admit defeat in feb 2010. I have now had to start again as there are few jobs in my previous field and i am working in currys for minimum wage and i am bored stupid , however i am trying to look at the bigger picture and am hopeful of a career on the railways in the future .
So Robert my advice is take any job for the time being as that shows willing to prospective employers and as many folk say it is easier to get another job when you are already working.
Best of luck.

robert2000

I am looking for any job, and will take any job offered.
But they all want experience. I don't have experience in everything.
I don't mean to come across as rude but unemployed for 3 and a half years, life is depressing, lol

richw

Veteran Member
I am looking for any job, and will take any job offered.
But they all want experience. I don't have experience in everything.
I don't mean to come across as rude but unemployed for 3 and a half years, life is depressing, lol

try supermarkets, fast food restaurants, any thing like that, McDonalds are always hiring and gotta be better than nothing!

It's bad when you hear of benefit claimants being better off than what they would be in a low paid job. Until that changes, there should no finger pointing at the unumployed, but instead at the employers paying such low wages. Obviously some jobs are more hard work / more responsibility / more graft than others, but we are all human beings... one persons job title may be more important than anothers, but does that make them a more important human being? No, ofcourse not. So why is it people in such low paid jobs suddenly become invisible - they are working, so must be comfortable? Er, no, because much of the working classes have been priced out of owning their own home and/or own transport (car, etc).

It is for employers to make it more worthwhile being in work. Even people in low paid jobs are poor, yet right now I am seeing the finger being pointed at people even worse off than them, & it's sickening.

What robert2000 said is correct, employers do not hand jobs out like sweeties - you need qualifications AND experience... after that it becomes a lottery, as there are litterally hundreds of people going for said jobs (any job, any salary).

jimrbrobinson

Hi Robert. I've only just picked up on this thread. Don't lose heart mate. If the experience of some of my friends is anything to go by, I wouldn't put too much stock in the advice about your CV from Jobcentre people. They often don't give a damn about helping people to find work - they've got a job and don't care. A mate of mine was in a similar situation to you - they told him his CV was good but he was getting nowhere. I took a look at it, and to be honest it was rubbish. I do recruitment and selection at work, and I wouldn't have invited my mate for interview based on the CV. I played about with it for him and within a month four of his applications got interviews. I also went through his interview techniques with him and two of the interviews resulted in job offers. The lottery in the job market seems to me to revolve around getting an adviser at the Jobcentre who actually cares about getting you a job. There are a number of excellent books in libraries which should help with application and interview techniques, written by people in the real working world (not some numpty who's been on a training course) that you could use. Don't rely on just one though, check tips and tricks in a couple of different ones and apply what seems the most natural to you. Good luck, you'll get there, just be positive.

j0hn0

what Jim said

I do understand your predicament though as I was in a similar place not so long ago.

Jobcentre told me not to do voluntary work as it could affect my dole claim in the fact that I was not looking for paid work and only doing voluntary.

It was a shame because voluntary work on heritage railways keeps me sane. I like to go out and help lay track or help move massive objects due to my sedentary lifestyle from working in an office.

I still couldn't find work though and ended up taking a job in Germany. I am back now working close to home, but really, if you don't have EXACTLY the experience and qualifications that they are looking for, you may as well send your CV to the queen.

I do not like the situation in this country whereby no-one can realistically make a career change at present.

The only real option is to start a business for yourself.

all the best fella

mbonwick

Established Member
McDonalds are always hiring and gotta be better than nothing!

Actually, the McDonalds in Workington currently has a jobs freeze and isn't accepting anymore applications as they have too many prospective employees already on file!

richw

Veteran Member
Actually, the McDonalds in Workington currently has a jobs freeze and isn't accepting anymore applications as they have too many prospective employees already on file!

this shows how in need of work people are, the 4 McDonalds around me have had their "hiring now" banner up for about 2 years constantly now!

Status
Not open for further replies.