• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

voyager 220007 fire eastleigh 28th june

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ahh but it depends what is damaged and what is common.

The body for example would be fine, and I suspect the fuel tank would fit. If (and this is the big if) the wiring is compatable, and there are suitable 220 bogies available, could one of the 2 spare 221 driving cars be made into a 220 driving car?

That would seem the sensible answer. Hopefully it can be done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
By the sounds of the damage reported I reckon at least one driving car on 007 will be out of use for some time. As for borrowing a voyager, do VT have any spare at the moment? Doubt they would be able to make use of one of VTs spare Voyager cars either given the spares are from a 221 - Can 221 cars work with 220s? (Not Can 221s work with 220s, that is a yes. I'm thinking in the same vein of 165s/166 hybrids which have existed in the past).

But Bombardier should have some knowledge of fire damage repairs to the fleet as a few of the mechanically similar Meridians have suffered similar fates over recent years.

Which HSTs are we referring to though, XCs or HSTs in general? XC do have a fair few SSL Mk3s, so if they did decide to use a HST set on the southern section of the XC Network I'm sure it's not difficult to do what FGW has done in the past and cobble together all the SSL and LSL Mk3s into individual matching HST rakes. As proven by FGW in the recent HST diverts into Waterloo and East Midlands Trains / South West Trains HST working the recent Sheffield to Swanage railtour.

Or stick the extra HST on the NE-SW route and avoid that hassle.

FGW had some very strange formations when diverting. ie TGS-TF-TSW-TS(with IFE)-TS(with IFE)-Buffet-TF-TF
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As posted on the other site, Bombardier would have to pay the cost to run the extra set if they can't provide the correct amount of voyagers for any given day, so that may not happen

It's not unknown for that to happen - For example Boeing are currently hiring an Airbus A340 for Norwegian Airlines to cover for late 787 deliveries.

David Goddard

Established Member
Is this a new ban on HSTs running over third rail?
BR and Virgin used to take them to Bournemouth, and FGW diverted theirs over the Basingstoke - Waterloo stretch during the Reading blockades a few years back.
Plus the SO working to Weymouth does every week.

Monty

Established Member
Im sure this has come up many times before and the conclusion is the HSTs do not have short link bogies and can't operate in third rail areas. (correct me if im wrong.)

I though this issue had been solved? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this forums that when FGW last did diversions into Waterloo they didn't have to remarshall their HST sets?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's two different designs of HST bogie, the "short swing link" and "long swing link" types. Only the short swing link version can operate on third rail lines.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is this a new ban on HSTs running over third rail?
BR and Virgin used to take them to Bournemouth, and FGW diverted theirs over the Basingstoke - Waterloo stretch during the Reading blockades a few years back.
Plus the SO working to Weymouth does every week.

It's down to what couplings they have, the couplings on some could come into contact with the 3rd rail, them ones are not allowed in 3rd rail territory. I think it's the ones with short-link couplings that are allowed in 3rd rail territory.

btw; is it an easy fix to convert an HST set to use short-link couplings?

kermit

What percentage of the voyager fleet is in use on any given day?

When do we start the 55 + rake of Mk2 rumours?

I heard from a reliable source it will be double headed EE Type 4s of the D400 series, to ensure reliability!

cm39275

Not so much luck... However according to a source of mine in NR vehicle 60207, of 220007, caught fire in Eastleigh Depot. No further update known.

if it is vehicle 60207 then the idea of converting one of spare 221 driving cars is no good as 60207 is an intermediate coach. I believe that 220007 as it is a 4 car then that whould make 60207 coach C.

Crossforth

Established Member
if it is vehicle 60207 then the idea of converting one of spare 221 driving cars is no good as 60207 is an intermediate coach. I believe that 220007 as it is a 4 car then that whould make 60207 coach C.

in theory, could they take an intermediate out a 221 and put it in 007 (as long as the connections are ok).

LowLevel

Established Member
The 0900 Leeds - Plymouth and 1625 return are on hire set EC62 today if anyone is interested. Dunno if it's anything to do with the 4-POO BBQ.

Minilad

Established Member
Or XC could just use the standby diagram to cover every day.
A lot of misinformation and wild speculation going on here. 99% of which is unworkable or over the top.
XC have had Voyagers damaged and out of traffic many times in the past. And have managed OK. I'm sure it will be the same again

TEW

Established Member
I though this issue had been solved? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this forums that when FGW last did diversions into Waterloo they didn't have to remarshall their HST sets?

All the sets still had to use carriages short swing link bogies. It was just that the gauging issues direct from Woking to Waterloo had been solved allowing HSTs to run the much faster direct route rather than running via Virginia Water.

bigdelboy

Couple of points:

According to http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60264 this unit may have a history with regards to catching fire.

I've seem limited meaningful reports of the extent of the damage caused; though the fact the diesel tank was destroyed indicates a pretty severe fire; with possible critical structural damage occuring. I suppose it is even possible a refuelling operation may have been in progress at the time. At least no-one was injured.

Minilad

Established Member
220007 currentley being draged back to central rivers by 220019 running as 5m07.
www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O09624/2014/06/29/advanced

looking at 60207 as it passed through Oxford station it didnt look to badly damaged apart from some scorching along the bottom of the bodyside above the engine, as of the interior i can not say.

As it was an external fire I doubt the interior would be damaged much. If at all

Qwerty133

Established Member
Or XC could just use the standby diagram to cover every day.
A lot of misinformation and wild speculation going on here. 99% of which is unworkable or over the top.
XC have had Voyagers damaged and out of traffic many times in the past. And have managed OK. I'm sure it will be the same again

Or double Turbostars on Birmingham to Manchester?

dk1

Veteran Member
Sounds like it will be up & running fairly quickly if it's already being moved & by rail :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Agreed if it can be dragged home that suggests, surely, that there is little too no structural damage just bits that need replacing/fixing. I'd suggest in my professional capacity as an armchair expert starting with the fuel tank :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's down to what couplings they have, the couplings on some could come into contact with the 3rd rail, them ones are not allowed in 3rd rail territory. I think it's the ones with short-link couplings that are allowed in 3rd rail territory.

btw; is it an easy fix to convert an HST set to use short-link couplings?

It's nothing whatsoever to do with couplings, the swing links in question are the four vertical links (two each side) between the upper and lower parts of the bogie, visible either side of the airbag suspension.

No it isn't an easy fix - the main steelwork member that the swing link supports is differently shaped, and positioned lower, on the LSL bogies.

I've attached an annotated picture of an SSL BT10 bogie to help explain.

Attachments

• SSL bogie.jpg
    SSL bogie.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The 0900 Leeds - Plymouth and 1625 return are on hire set EC62 today if anyone is interested. Dunno if it's anything to do with the 4-POO BBQ.

I think this may be unrelated as there's an XC set sat at Neville Hill today - presumably covering a failure.

CC 72100

Established Member
I think this may be unrelated as there's an XC set sat at Neville Hill today - presumably covering a failure.

Well, 301+207 were involved in a fatality yesterday working the Glasgow - Paignton, which as a result terminated at Taunton.

Although this worked the 16:37 Paignton - Leeds back from Taunton, I'm wondering if it sat at NH today for... well 'deep cleaning' :|

EC set confirmed as 309/296 - just did it Cheltenham - Gloucester. Yes, that's all of 6 and a half miles, I know. <D;)

Incidentally, I'm guessing this is the first time an EC set has been seen at Gloucester?

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
Well, 301+207 were involved in a fatality yesterday working the Glasgow - Paignton, which as a result terminated at Taunton.

Although this worked the 16:37 Paignton - Leeds back from Taunton, I'm wondering if it sat at NH today for... well 'deep cleaning' :|

EC set confirmed as 309/296 - just did it Cheltenham - Gloucester. Yes, that's all of 6 and a half miles, I know. <D;)

Incidentally, I'm guessing this is the first time an EC set has been seen at Gloucester?

And it went via Worcester, and will be on the return, so I wonder if it's a first for Worcester and the dark side too

TEW

Established Member
In East Coast livery I would have thought so. I expect sets in GNER livery have made it there before when HSTs used to be hired by Virgin/Cross Country on Summer Saturdays.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
It's nothing whatsoever to do with couplings, the swing links in question are the four vertical links (two each side) between the upper and lower parts of the bogie, visible either side of the airbag suspension.

No it isn't an easy fix - the main steelwork member that the swing link supports is differently shaped, and positioned lower, on the LSL bogies.

I've attached an annotated picture of an SSL BT10 bogie to help explain.

Yes, it is an easy fix IF spare SSL BT10 bogies are available. Problem is, they aren't.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How many HSTs have got the LSL bogies? Is there any chance that the casting moulds for the SSL BT10 bogies still exist (either in a state where they could be used as is or new moulds created from them to replace them?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, it is an easy fix IF spare SSL BT10 bogies are available. Problem is, they aren't.

Well yes, that's another way of solving the problem I guess. The straightforward solution is surely to just swap a few bogies around if it was ever required. But as XC have no current need to run HSTs beyond Reading to Southampton or Bournemouth, and are never expected to need to in the future, I can't really see why this debate occurs with such regularity...

Status
Not open for further replies.