• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager door panel displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm being whisked along the GWML alongside a voyager at the moment,s and noticed that alongside the destination and next stop the LCD panel by the door shows 'outside temp: 0 C'.

I've never noticed this before- what else gets displayed here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wibble

I'm being whisked along the GWML alongside a voyager at the moment,s and noticed that alongside the destination and next stop the LCD panel by the door shows 'outside temp: 0 C'.

I've never noticed this before- what else gets displayed here?

I remember seeing the train's speed being displayed and a few other useless facts that I have since forgotten!

route:oxford

Established Member
I remember seeing the train's speed being displayed and a few other useless facts that I have since forgotten!

I'm convinced I've seen altitude...

But given that there will be GPS mapping on the onboard system, it's probably not my imagination.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I do a double take every time I see something like this:

Destination Manchester Piccadilly
next stop Southampton Central
via Birmingham International

I want it to say:

Just seems much more logical, but with some of the wording permanently marked on the display it would never happen. Bad original dsign IMHO...

12CSVT

Established Member
I do a double take every time I see something like this:

I want it to say:

Just seems much more logical, but with some of the wording permanently marked on the display it would never happen. Bad original dsign IMHO...

Much prefer window stickers as you can see all the calling points for that particular service.

WillPS

Established Member
How many InterCity stopping stations don't have on platform displays now? I can only think of two, and they barely count - Alfreton and Langley Mill.

The only InterCity trains to stop there (EMT HSTs) have no form of door display/window sticker anyway!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I remember a good 5 years ago or so nipping on a Virgin Super Voyager (221115 iirc) for a short Preston to Lancaster trip, and being impressed by the interior display unusually displaying 'current speed xxx mph, outside temperature.. x ' , before then doing an advertisement about the shop.

I've never had any other Voyagers/Super Voyagers/Pendolinos displaying nice info, like the current speed etc, which I'd personally enjoy seeing.

I was once on a XC 2x5-car Super Voyager one weekday. Originally sat in the extreme front carriage for First Class, until the TM told me the rear set had literally no one in it, apart from a FC host.

After a few mins & chatting to the friendly chap, he showed me on the display in the TM's office [whilst he was based in the other set] all the different things it can tell the crew, like speed, faults etc. Was quite interesting. :)

Aictos

Established Member
I remember a good 5 years ago or so nipping on a Virgin Super Voyager (221115 iirc) for a short Preston to Lancaster trip, and being impressed by the interior display unusually displaying 'current speed xxx mph, outside temperature.. x ' , before then doing an advertisement about the shop.

I've never had any other Voyagers/Super Voyagers/Pendolinos displaying nice info, like the current speed etc, which I'd personally enjoy seeing.

I was once on a XC 2x5-car Super Voyager one weekday. Originally sat in the extreme front carriage for First Class, until the TM told me the rear set had literally no one in it, apart from a FC host.

After a few mins & chatting to the friendly chap, he showed me on the display in the TM's office [whilst he was based in the other set] all the different things it can tell the crew, like speed, faults etc. Was quite interesting. :)

Sounds like you had fun, it's pretty much what would interest me too :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think on the Pendolino and Voyagers, the scrolling bar under the 'Destination', 'Next Calling Point' and 'Via' screens can be controlled by the train manager I think. I've seen Pendolinos that say 'LDN MID TCKTS NOT VALID ON HERE' today and 'COME ON ENGLAND' during the 2006 World Cup! Most of the time, however, it tends to say 'Welcome Onboard' or something similar!

How many InterCity stopping stations don't have on platform displays now? I can only think of two, and they barely count - Alfreton and Langley Mill.

The only InterCity trains to stop there (EMT HSTs) have no form of door display/window sticker anyway!!

Hey, that's my local station! To be honest barely counting is quite an achievement! ;)

scotsman

Established Member

A Driver once went through the TMS in the cab with me once - it was fascinating!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I share your fascination Scotsman, a driver accepted my polite request for a quick peek in the cab of our Voyager in September, including an explanation of the TMS. The TMS decided to draw us attention towards the fact that the cab door was open, when the driver showed me about the fault diagnosis thingy :lol:

danfitz123

Whats the point in having any information about speed,altitude and stuff of the sort displayed on the board when the train is moving at 110mph. I am assuming you mean the info panel on the outside doors.

lm321412

I think on the Pendolino and Voyagers, the scrolling bar under the 'Destination', 'Next Calling Point' and 'Via' screens can be controlled by the train manager I think. I've seen Pendolinos that say 'LDN MID TCKTS NOT VALID ON HERE' today and 'COME ON ENGLAND' during the 2006 World Cup! Most of the time, however, it tends to say 'Welcome Onboard' or something similar!

Yeah, they also display something along the lines of "OFF PEAK TICKETS ARE NOT VALID ON THIS SERVICE" during mornings out of Birmingham New Street. It's good as it stops punters getting on the service with a non-valid ticket during the mornings.

Although on other occasions, I waited once for a Pendolino at Coventry and it displayed "Next stop Wigan North Western with the train destination as Lancaster". Very useful considering it was off to Euston! :lol:

Arriva158

The best i've seen with a voyager is the perkins express named service off wolverhampton on a morning.
Another one was a delayed Bournemouth - Manchester service terminated at Birmingham New Street with a screen saying "This Train has Failed" and another door panel saying "Sorry i'm out of service due to a failure"
It would be good if the side panels scrolled rather than did blocks such as:

Destination: Manchester Piccadilly
Calling at: Leamington Spa, Coventry, Birmingham Intl, Birmingham New St
via Birmingham International (This should come off at International but i've seen that at Stockport with a Man Picc service via Birmingham International

Meridians have it better with the next 2 stations printed on the panel then it does it in blocks

jon0844

Veteran Member
The new Victoria Line trains are a bit silly as they have a single line display outside, and it says different things in a 'paged' format. Now as a train comes in, or as you come onto the platform with the train there, you're highly unlikely to catch it at the right time - so you'll possibly see the next stop or its final destination - without knowing which is which.

Couldn't it just scroll information fairly quickly over and over? What about "This is an southbound Victoria Line train to Brixton" or something.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes the Victoria line trains say:

Next Stop
Warren Street

So when I was stood at Victoria in the morning rush, a train saying Warren St on the side came in. I still got on, but I was a bit weary.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am sure it is reassuring to some, and useful in zone 1 for tourists, but does the train need to show the next stop on the outside - at least on any route where trains stop at all stations.

And if there was a station closure, would it be sufficient to announce that on the side of the train in the hope people wouldn't board anyway? Would everyone check? Would the driver or system even update it to show that there was a station closure ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.