• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC / Northern Advance on strike day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
How recently did you become aware of it? Was it before the time that the OP first asked the social media team, when they posted the thread? Or since then?

Last edited by a moderator:

I was made aware of the email not long after I posted my original response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've been told unofficially that Virgin changed their policy this morning, but despite another Tweet to them and a "favourite" from Mr Horne yesterday on one of my Tweets repeating Virgin's advice I've heard nothing from them directly.

Chrism20

Established Member
Well they don't seem keen on letting me know. Still nothing from them.

I’d tweet David Horne again asking for an update as you seem to be receiving no response from his customer service teams.

paddington

When I had this problem last year with the Scotrail strike, I just turned up for an earlier VTEC train by 30 mins and asked the Train Manager who agreed, without even bothering to listen to my explanation (a good thing, since IIRC I would only have been mildly inconvenienced rather than stranded)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for that Wallsendmag.

VTEC said:
Northern Railway planned industrial action – Tuesday 3 and Thursday 5 October
Virgin Trains East Coast services are unaffected by this action. However, if you have booked an Advance or First Advance ticket that includes travel on Northern services on Tuesday 3, you can choose to travel on either Monday 2 or Wednesday 4, or tickets dated for Thursday 5 October you can choose to travel on Wednesday 4 October or Friday 6 October. If you decide to do this please travel at a time as close to your original booked service as possible. Alternatively, if you choose to travel on a strike day but need to travel at a different time, your ticket will be accepted. If your ticket is wholly for travel onboard Northern then you can travel on Virgin Trains East Coast services where appropriate on the strike days. We recommend you check before you travel at https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/industrial-action for up-to-date train running information.

Romilly

Established Member
One would hope that this would kept as a precedent to be re-issued with necessary changes of detail for future strike-related disruption affecting train companies other then VTEC.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've now heard on Twitter from Mr Horne himself.
Still nothing from their social media team.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Made it by about 10 minutes. Mentioned to the guard when boarding. He couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad it sorted itself out in the end! It just should have been easier than this to get there!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've now heard on Twitter from Mr Horne himself.
Still nothing from their social media team.
There are some comments about their social media team on the VTEC Weekend First price confusion thread, but suffice to say many people are unimpressed by their performance.
Made it by about 10 minutes. Mentioned to the guard when boarding. He couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.
Most are very helpful and friendly and would be pleased to help out and be reasonable (regardless of what the social media says).

Unfortunately there's the odd one or two who may well have charged you (one particularly infamous one - many people will know exactly who that is - is still going round incorrectly charging people who hold valid tickets <( )

Last edited:

There are some comments about their social media team on the VTEC Weekend First price confusion thread, but suffice to say many people are unimpressed by their performance.

Most are very helpful and friendly and would be pleased to help out and be reasonable (regardless of what the social media says).

Unfortunately there's the odd one or two who may well have charged you (one particularly infamous one - many people will know exactly who that is - is still going round incorrectly charging people who hold valid tickets <()

If it's who I think it is, then there would be no justification for it. The message about Northern strikes was sent out twice yesterday, and once so far this morning, and the Train Managers all receive the same route control messages I do. Glad he managed to travel without incident. I've had a dew instances where customers have had issues with M-tickets or, in one case, had her purse stolen en route, and on all occasions I have contacted the Train Manager and explained the situation and they've all been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.