• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC cancellations - weekend of 1st & 2nd July

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A guard I was speaking to today thought the disruption to be a knock-on from last night. So is today's disruption really a veiled form of industrial action, or is it a case of so many staff being displaced last night (and this morning!) that too few substitutes are available?

Not a knock on from last night but perhaps aggravated by it. The shortages were announced too soon after the incident at Rugby

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The first message that trains that were being delayed didn't appear online until 20.18, and given this thread was posted last night at 20.30 then I'd be surprised if this was the case. Even just a few mins ago the Virgin Trains feed was stating that it was due to Train crew not working Overtime.

M60lad

Actually 20:37 Piccadilly-Euston was the set that should have formed tonights 19:35 service to Euston which was originally showing as Delayed but according to what I happened to overhear on the Virgin Staff radios it ended up being cancelled with the set forming the 20:37 instead.

Guessing this would have upset passengers that were originally on 19:35 service with reserved seats as I'm guessing despite the same set being used to form 20:37 the seating reservations would be for that service not the 19:35

Established Member
Still nothing to say what it's all about though. Last nights paraphernalia added to the chaos granted but so many refusing all at once is unusual unless been upset by something or someone.

Failure to agree on a reduction on hours in the working week is the story.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A guard I was speaking to today thought the disruption to be a knock-on from last night. So is today's disruption really a veiled form of industrial action, or is it a case of so many staff being displaced last night (and this morning!) that too few substitutes are available?

It may have made it worse but I picked up the issue on Twitter last night about 18.30 (though I didnt have a chance to post until later). They were claiming on the PIS at Preston this morning that the shortages were due to last nights incident. There is something funny going on here - looks like some sort of work to rule to me?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Will this issue affect weekday services or weekend services to come after this weekend?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Virgin's 2146 Stafford - Liverpool I was on tonight terminated short at Runcorn. Is this related somehow?

Virgin left us waiting 90 minutes at Runcorn for RRBs!

All Line Rover

Established Member
And the last Glasgow to London Euston train (17:40), running 1 hour late, terminated at Watford Junction. Why on earth couldn't it run through to Euston?

greaterwest

Established Member
And the last Glasgow to London Euston train (17:40), running 1 hour late, terminated at Watford Junction. Why on earth couldn't it run through to Euston?

Real time trains says an issue with the train crew (code TG), so perhaps it's down to the driver/train manager being at their maximum hours? I don't quite remember what each code means, nor do I know where the document is that lists them.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Real time trains says an issue with the train crew (code TG), so perhaps it's down to the driver/train manager being at their maximum hours? I don't quite remember what each code means, nor do I know where the document is that lists them.

Try

http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/Delay_Attribution_Guide

TG simply says "Driver". My guess, and it is just that, a guess, is that the driver was due to take the ecs to Wembley and insisted on doing so direct from Watford to finish nearer their booked time.

Carlisle

Established Member
If nothing else, all this might keep a few folk off GTRs back for a few hours :D

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
I wonder how today will go?

RTT is currently still showing the up Manchester Eustons via Crewe as running this evening...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I hope VTWC can get this sorted - I can see it becoming a long hot summer for them if they don't!

RJ

Established Member
I see its saying its the drivers fault for not working overtime rather than saying its the companies fault for not employing enough staff in the first place! :roll:

It's true. It's also mutually beneficial for the drivers and the company. I'm sure there would be even more unrest if the company suddenly stopped allowing all drivers to work any overtime.

Last edited:

al78

Established Member
It's true. It's also mutually beneficial for the drivers and the company. I'm sure there would be even more unrest if the company suddenly stopped allowing all drivers to work any overtime.

Why would there be unrest about not being required to work overtime?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Bizarre, though. It takes 12 minutes to get to Euston!

I wonder if the driver was booked to hang around and then take the ecs to Wembley? In which case turfing everyone out at Watford and running it straight into the depot would have saved a lot of time on his or her hours?

RJ

Established Member

I have no idea.

But if the TOCs refused to let any driver do voluntary overtime, there'd be upset from those who like the choice of being able to do so to earn a bit extra.

So little point in moaning when for whatever reason, an unusually large number of drivers choose not to work on a random day and this is given as the reason for cancellations.

Last edited:

Rick1984

I was on 1043 Euston to Waverly. Missed connection to Kilmarnock at Carlise. Taxi replacement. 4 adults in a normal 6 seater bit cosy and the driver's driving a bit lively!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But if the TOCs refused to let any driver do voluntary overtime, there'd be upset from those who like the choice of being able to do so to earn a bit extra.

And therein lies the problem. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

My view is that overtime should be for exceptional situations only (i.e. serious late running following major incidents, not the kind of predictable minor late running you get from day to day) and Sunday should be part of the working week for all new staff (which would soon filter through).

Businesses should not rely on overtime to run, nor should staff rely on the pay from it - in *any* business.

RJ

Established Member
Businesses should not rely on overtime to run, nor should staff rely on the pay from it - in *any* business.

Only the thing is, a lot of staff like it being that way and having the option not to work on Sundays. Where I am, Sundays are outside and paid at T+75%. Not heard any staff complain about it yet.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Only the thing is, a lot of staff like it being that way and having the option not to work on Sundays.

Which is why I'd start with new recruits. When you decide to take a job, you decide based on the entirety of what is on offer. Existing staff could remain on existing contracts and eventually it'll filter through.

That would mean less Sunday overtime, of course, but overtime is not and should not be guaranteed.

theironroad

Established Member

VTWC are among the best paid drivers in the country so a necessity to do overtime should be minimal.

The TOCs should hire enough drivers to operate a full service every day within drivers contracted hours and allowing for sickness, medical restrictions, training and other events.

Relying on overtime to run the daily published service is madness.

Eliminating overtime should be the aim, running a guaranteed service from a staffing perspective and at the same time creating good jobs for others to fill.

Rick1984

Also kudos to our guard who served up our snack boxes in first class as there wasn't any other staff to do so

RJ

Established Member
VTWC are among the best paid drivers in the country so a necessity to do overtime should be minimal.

The TOCs should hire enough drivers to operate a full service every day within drivers contracted hours and allowing for sickness, medical restrictions, training and other events.

Relying on overtime to run the daily published service is madness.

Eliminating overtime should be the aim, running a guaranteed service from a staffing perspective and at the same time creating good jobs for others to fill.

True. There will always be conflicting interests between ops staff, management, bean counters, shareholders and customers - a total compromise may well be impossible.

Personally I never do rest days and only do Sundays once in a blue moon - whereas others will do as much as Hidden allows - so appreciate that overtime is a lifeline for some. It would be less stressful if every shift was filled, but maintaining staff levels is an onerous task when you have people who routinely take their weeks self certified sick leave every quarter, significant levels of long term sickness, disciplinaries and all the things you mention. Plus recruitment is a very slow process!

RJ

Established Member
Also kudos to our guard who served up our snack boxes in first class as there wasn't any other staff to do so

It's the right thing to do - catering was always short staffed, if there's only one person on the train, they have to prioritise the Shop over First. There's an incentive for the guard to sell upgrades and they'd only pick up the grievances from the customers if they don't get their snackbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.