• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTWC strike travel disruption info/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
You will only be able to buy tickets from Ticket Vending Machines (not from one of our members of staff) at stations where Virgin Trains operate the ticket offices. This will limit the tickets available to peak and off-peak walk-up fares.

Erm, no it won't...

If our ticket offices are closed it may not be possible to pay for your tickets using cash. We recommend you bring a debit or credit card with you on the day.

What? I decline your kind offer to pay by card. Anything else?

All Line Rover

Established Member
If the information on that page is to be believed, Wilmslow will have no service at all and, of the 06:28, 06:53, 07:17 and 07:57 departures from Crewe to London, the only one that will run is the 06:53 (a 5-car Voyager). Remarkable. Why run 2tph via Stoke when the usual practice is to drop 1tph via Stoke and continue running 1ph via Wilmslow, serving Crewe and (via a short connecting train) Chester in the process?

Qwerty133

Established Member
If the information on that page is to be believed, Wilmslow will have no service at all and, of the 06:28, 06:53, 07:17 and 07:57 departures from Crewe to London, the only one that will run is the 06:53 (a 5-car Voyager). Remarkable. Why run 2tph via Stoke when the usual practice is to drop 1tph via Stoke and continue running 1ph via Wilmslow, serving Crewe and (via a short connecting train) Chester in the process?
Probably sending everything the same way to minimise the level of route 'knowledge' required by the people acting as guards

theironroad

Established Member
Erm, no it won't...

What? I decline your kind offer to pay by card. Anything else?

Could be an interesting one if someone decided to pursue it.

If someone turns up at the station and only has cash as a means of payment, then I don't really see how they could be refused travel if the ticket machines can't or won't accept cash.

Starmill

Veteran Member
As long as the customer offers a valid method of payment at the first opportunity to buy...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Could be an interesting one if someone decided to pursue it.

If someone turns up at the station and only has cash as a means of payment, then I don't really see how they could be refused travel if the ticket machines can't or won't accept cash.

I don't think they can, but VT clearly want to avoid as many people as possible not paying, which is going to be the effect otherwise.

RAPC

Thanks for the heads up on this. We usually have circa 50 seats per week between the north and London for our company, so I have shared this to try to keep everyone well away from any non-essential travel.

They haven't updated their booking engine to reflect the revised timetable and they certainly haven't changed the 1st class pricing to reflect any lack of service so far.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we keep this thread to the amended travel arrangements for Virgin rather than the rights or wrongs of the strike. Thanks.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Is there any timetable out there showing what trains will/will not be running? This may affect my commute and I need to be able to plan alternatives if the train is indeed cancelled.

Starmill

Veteran Member
they certainly haven't changed the 1st class pricing to reflect any lack of service so far.
I wouldn't expect them to. You wouldn't be entitled to any compensation afterwards either. Thus I would be surprised if First Class offers good value during the strikes.

gazthomas

Established Member
As ever the Cinderella part of the franchise (i.e. takes a lot to resource and probably contributes little), the North Wales line will barely see a service

TheDavibob

In a similar boat to @ForTheLoveOf - any way of knowing which trains are still running? The one I'm booked on next Friday evening is still on searches, but I don't know if this is the pre-strike timetable or not.

RAPC

I wouldn't expect them to. You wouldn't be entitled to any compensation afterwards either. Thus I would be surprised if First Class offers good value during the strikes.

Public rates haven't changed, but via our corporate account we have been told that we will get discounts at a set rate on 1st class travel. It looks like it will be retrospective though, presumably in case strikes are suspended at short notice etc and they do run a full service.

Class83

As ever the Cinderella part of the franchise (i.e. takes a lot to resource and probably contributes little), the North Wales line will barely see a service
It's doing better than Birmingham/NW to Edinburgh which has been completely abandoned. Given it's the Friday before Christmas that's going to make Transpennine-Scotland very busy from Preston northbound.

Mathew S

Established Member
According to info from the VTWC Twitter account, strike timetables will be released at midnight tonight (Friday/Saturday).

blue87

The Real time trains site seems to have amended times for VTWC services for this Friday.

Mathew S

Established Member
The Real time trains site seems to have amended times for VTWC services for this Friday.
Still not showing in NRE. Presumably they'll be in tomorrow, if the system updates overnight which I think is what happens. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Edit: I stand corrected, they are on NRE, but the disruption information page still says they are only showing the original timetable. Sigh.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
There is a contradiction between

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/strike

London - Chester and the North Wales Coast: Apart from the 04.48 Holyhead to London service and the return at 17.10, we will not serve Chester and North Wales. There is a replacement bus service between Chester and Crewe, and Arriva Trains Wales will accept tickets between Chester and North Wales stations. Alternatively your ticket will be valid the day before or the day after or you can also apply for a full refund (free of charge).

and

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/177767.aspx

London - Chester and the North Wales Coast: Please take a Virgin Trains service to Crewe for onward travel. If you have a Virgin-only ticket please travel the day before or the day after as Arriva Trains Wales will not accept your ticket to travel beyond Crewe. You can also apply for a full refund (free of charge).

Status
Not open for further replies.