• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waiting lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Righty, any help here would be appreciated...

I was successful for a role a number of months ago with a major intercity TOC. Due to their interview system, there were more successful applicants than roles available - so I've been in a talent pool since then.

After a few weeks of hearing little I asked HR what was happening, and was told that they'd be in touch as soon as a vacancy opened for me. Two months after I gave them another email - no reply this time, that was a couple of weeks ago.

Any good next steps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
I think it's a case of playing the waiting game, and keep on applying for other jobs in the meantime. I'm in one holding pen for a Guards job at the mo - I suppose I see it as a nice bonus if one day they ring me up and say I've got a place on a training course, but I'm relatively happy where I am for now and if any other interesting (read: better paying :P ) jobs come up I can still apply for those.

Daz9284

I was successful for a role a number of months ago with a major intercity TOC. Due to their interview system, there were more successful applicants than roles available - so I've been in a talent pool since then.

After a few weeks of hearing little I asked HR what was happening, and was told that they'd be in touch as soon as a vacancy opened for me. Two months after I gave them another email - no reply this time, that was a couple of weeks ago.

Any good next steps?

you could be in the waiting pool for years. There have been cases where people have been in a talent / holding pool for 18 months

regards,
darryl

TDK

Established Member

Any good next steps?

Apply with a different company.

JamesTT

Is anyone who works or has worked in a TOCs HR a forum member. Perhaps they could give an insight into whether these talent pools/waiting lists are the first thing they go to when a training slot comes up

beavercreek

I was placed on hold for Six months and then after Ten months was called and given Ten hours notice for a medical.Keep applying and hang on in there.

MadeinWigan

I've been in a pool for nearly 16 months now. I don't expect things to go any further, it would be great if an offer came in but I'm just making plans to move on as if I'd never been through the selection process.

JamesTT

I would guess the waiting list/ talent pools are ranked based on application and interview score. It would be good if you could be told where you ranked. So if you were in say top 5 you could think ok I will sit tight and be patient. If you were number 30 you could think ok I have the assessment under my belt, I know the type of questions I will get on the interview I will give another TOC a try.

Railpem

Have you heard anything yet Scotsman? I'm in a similar position. When I was at the assessment there was a girl there whose sister works for them and she said it was 3 and a half months before she actually started the job. I just want to start.

johnsonr380

I've been in the pool for 16 months, still hoping. Sit tight it'll be worth it in the end. It's still a great position to bed in, well providing it pays off. I'm staying positive

Status
Not open for further replies.