• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield freecitybus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian1944

I know that this runs every 10 minutes and goes round the city centre clockwise, so that on it Westgate station is a long way from the bus station, but I can't find a detailed timetable. Does anyone know how long this journey will take? I could walk directly but will be rather burdened, so would rather not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks.

Wow, that's slow.

That's the problem with Wakefield... Thanks to the prison right next to Westgate, there's no viable route for a true 'ring-road' on that side of the city, with the result that all the through traffic has to either detour round past the hospital or cut straight through the centre. If you're driving there's little difference in journey time between the two routes.

Mugby

Established Member
I travelled on it one Saturday afternoon, a while ago.

I was amazed at the number of people using it. I didn't think it was possible to get so many people on a Solo!

ian1944

Thanks, Ebore.

About 22 minutes for the trip, then. The alternative would be a normal service bus running directly, of which there seem to be quite a few, but it would depend on how they were grouped in the BS - I suppose it's asking too much for there to be a display giving the next three departures for Westgate station with stands and times, or a poster with a complete list throughout the day.

shires666

Bus service 126/127 to Dewsbury every 10 minutes go from the same stand or any Huddersfield service which I think goes from the next stand

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Used to be a metrorider until recently

The current operators, Star Travel of Dewsbury, occasionally substitute an unavailable branded Solo with an old battered Metrorider, I imagine the same thing happens on occasion with the Dewsbury FreeTownBus (if that still runs). The Huddersfield one is also often operated with vehicles other than the branded, Metro-funded Solos. However K-Line (Centrebus) have plenty of spare Solos to draft in in that case.

Bus service 126/127 to Dewsbury every 10 minutes go from the same stand or any Huddersfield service which I think goes from the next stand

that's the most direct route from the Bus Station to Westgate - as the WCB really does go the long way round for that journey via the city centre, kirkgate and the retail parks ...

Crossover

Established Member
The current operators, Star Travel of Dewsbury, occasionally substitute an unavailable branded Solo with an old battered Metrorider, I imagine the same thing happens on occasion with the Dewsbury FreeTownBus (if that still runs). The Huddersfield one is also often operated with vehicles other than the branded, Metro-funded Solos. However K-Line (Centrebus) have plenty of spare Solos to draft in in that case.

The Dewsbury FTB does still run, though some of the places it serves are now more derelict than when it first started...

I have noticed the occasions where some random rubbish has been substituted in place of the usual branded vehicles - I have put it down to the Dewsbury ones being used on other town/city services (one that probably get more patronage and would benefit from having branded vehicles)

34D

Established Member

No. Arriva took over from Star Travel several months ago, and Tates now operate the Dewsbury one. Hence I said "used to be a metrorider".

Status
Not open for further replies.