• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield - Whitby anytime return

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbbminerals

This is an expensive TPE-priced flow, could anyone help me find a way of reducing the cost a journey departing Wakefield on a Friday and coming back from Whitby on a Sunday?

For a same-day return I have previously used tickets from Wakefield-Cross Gates, Cross Gates-Pontefract (though I have now read a LDS-PFR would suffice) and Church Fenton-Whitby however this trick does not work if one stops over at Whitby as the decent value ticket from Church Fenton-Whitby is only an Off-Peak Day Return and of course all the other tickets involved cost only a fraction more than their equivalent singles.

Many thanks for any help (hope this reads clearly)! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given that Trainsplit can't find anything, I'd be surprised if it's possible to reduce the cost of walk-up tickets for that journey.

Whether Leeds - Pontefract is valid via Church Fenton depends on how the shortest route rule is interpreted (but let's not get into that on this thread), but I personally wouldn't do that without obtaining an itinerary in conjunction with the ticket.

On the subject of routeing loopholes.... until recently, a ticket from somewhere like Wigton to Whitby was valid via Leeds (or even via Manchester & Leeds, and without checking it may well have included via Wakefield) but the Routeing Guide was finally updated, putting an end to one of the best value loopholes. That said, I'd not have recommended that on the forum anyway as our policy is not to suggest such tickets.

Have you looked at Advance fares from Leeds - Darlington? Even if you find cheap ones, you have to add in the cost of Day Singles at either end.

Given that an Off Peak Return is available at £47.40, and that a series of Day Returns isn't going to be of any help to return two days later, I don't see how you're going to be able to reduce the cost, at least not on walk-up tickets.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
This may be one of those situations where taking the bus would be advantageous financially.

Wakefield - York £24.20 Off-Peak Return. Bus add-on is £8.50 return.

pennine

Without dates etc, hard to check. But normally, there's a good advance fares from Leeds to Middlesbrough on the direct TPE train. But as said above, Coastliner bus is a lovely route to take! :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could save about a fiver by purchasing day singles between Wakefield, Pontefract, Church Fenton and Whitby each way. But whether this is worth it or not depends on your willingness to take other forms of transport and the cost thereof. I'd certainly be looking at the bus in this case.

wbbminerals

Thanks all for the help. It is a long journey distance wise but also very slow, so it is a shame the tickets are so over-priced. :( The bus seems like a good option.

Crossover

Established Member
The other potential could be to go to Scarborough and then take the bus across to Whitby? I think the Scarborough - Whitby bus may only take half an hour or so

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The other potential could be to go to Scarborough and then take the bus across to Whitby? I think the Scarborough - Whitby bus may only take half an hour or so
True, but have you seen the fares on the Scarborough line? The Off Peak Return from York is a whopping £20.80

Unbelievable!

The aim is clearly to encourage people to use the Coastliner, or to simply drive.

Though for Wakefield-Scarborough, you wouldn't "split" as the through fare is 'only' (!) £36.50 for an Off Peak Return (SVR).

wbbminerals

I presume the fares are such a rip off to ensure that the 185s remain full, but there isn't a need for new trains?

wbbminerals

Well it is working. On a recent visit to Scarborough we went in the car as the expensive fares weren't worth it when busy trains are also considered.

Starmill

Veteran Member
True, but have you seen the fares on the Scarborough line? The Off Peak Return from York is a whopping £20.80

Unbelievable!

The aim is clearly to encourage people to use the Coastliner, or to simply drive.

Though for Wakefield-Scarborough, you wouldn't "split" as the through fare is 'only' (!) £36.50 for an Off Peak Return (SVR).

I've never been able to understand why a so-so service (1tph of 3 car trains, nowt special!) justifies such outrageously high fares...

Oscar

Fares Advisor
With more reasonable day return fares from York and Leeds and significant additional capacity I'm sure that the Scarborough line could attract lots of passengers who currently travel by car. You could certain consider Advance tickets between Leeds and Scarborough (from £7) and the bus from Scarborough. The bus costs about £7 day return (I'd assume about £5 single) and takes an hour. You could of course also consider buying Advance tickets to Middlesbrough and two Anytime Day Singles for the Esk Valley leg.

The Coastliner add-on has recently been withdrawn from the ticketing database and replaced by through tickets to "Whitby Bus" from a range of non-York rail origins.

AndyHudds

I'd use the Scarborough route and jump on the X93 outside the station. The bus takes just over an hour and it's a enjoyable scenic ride, at this time of year they operate the timetable every half an hour. Me and the wife used the service this week whilst we were in Scarborough for a few days, the service was very busy and by the time it reached Robin Hoods Bay it was leaving people behind, it was a double decker too. What an error closing the Rillington Junction route into Whitby, the line would be thriving nowadays and would probably see considerable amount of tourist traffic.

The Coastliner bus takes an age to get to Whitby, as it does to get to Scarborough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.