• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales to enter "circuit break" lockdown from Friday 23 October to Monday 9 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Could somebody please explain the logic of a super/hypermarket in Wales not being allowed to sell clothes or electrical items (or other "non-essential" goods) during the firebreak lockdown; those isles being sealed off and yet one can still walk around and buy food? How is that going to stop/minimise the spread of coronavirus?
The logic, to the extent there is any, is to prevent people going and browsing these items, thereby increasing potential contact with others whilst in the store, and increasing the length of time spent in store.

They can still be ordered online for delivery or by click & collect, which do not create the same risks.

In theory.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
The logic, to the extent there is any, is to prevent people going and browsing these items, thereby increasing potential contact with others whilst in the store, and increasing the length of time spent in store.

They can still be ordered online for delivery or by click & collect, which do not create the same risks.

In theory.
If that were the reason why was that not implemented in the first lockdown? Can't recall seeing people browsing back then and if they were no-one else was so wasn't exactly going to cause mass infections!

Yew

Established Member
I saw the photo on the BBC website of a Tesco store in Penarth where smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms were covered in plastic to prevent people from buying them as they are deemed non essential.

So you can sleep well, knowing that you are not going to catch "..the virus..", but that nice Mr Drakeford couldn't care less if you die in a house fire or are poisoned by carbon monoxide.
<sarcasm>
Dying on a ventilator from smoke inhalation is better than dying on a ventilator from Covid, hun.
</sarcasm>

102 fan

We’re onto page 19 of this now and despite being in the middle of all this I’ve been reluctant to post my thoughts here.

I’ve been trapped on the “wrong” side of the border for a month now and unable to see my friends or family. It sucks, but life has to go on.

I get by by going out for walks and talking to people on phone/Skype. It’s not what I want, but all I would achieve by getting angry about it is getting angry. So I take the positives that I can.

I do get the feeling from this whole forum that people would be a lot happier if they spent there time looking for things they are allowed to do and enjoy rather than search for things to criticise and invent hypothetical situations that aren’t causing problems in the real world. (Yes, there are genuine faults by the WAG, but it‘s hard to sift through here with everyone jumping onto the latest half story that fits their argument)

Anacdotally, around Newport the *vast* majority of people are getting on with their lives. I don’t know or car if they are sticking to the letter of the laws - it’s not for me to judge. Those who are at their computers criticising are only talking to other likeminded people doing the same!

I really urge people to just take a step back, think about what the can do that makes them happy - and be a bit less confrontational, unless posting here really is their favourite pastim ;)

Are you Mark Drakeford?

bengley

Established Member
We’re onto page 19 of this now and despite being in the middle of all this I’ve been reluctant to post my thoughts here.

I’ve been trapped on the “wrong” side of the border for a month now and unable to see my friends or family. It sucks, but life has to go on.

I get by by going out for walks and talking to people on phone/Skype. It’s not what I want, but all I would achieve by getting angry about it is getting angry. So I take the positives that I can.

I do get the feeling from this whole forum that people would be a lot happier if they spent there time looking for things they are allowed to do and enjoy rather than search for things to criticise and invent hypothetical situations that aren’t causing problems in the real world. (Yes, there are genuine faults by the WAG, but it‘s hard to sift through here with everyone jumping onto the latest half story that fits their argument)

Anacdotally, around Newport the *vast* majority of people are getting on with their lives. I don’t know or car if they are sticking to the letter of the laws - it’s not for me to judge. Those who are at their computers criticising are only talking to other likeminded people doing the same!

I really urge people to just take a step back, think about what the can do that makes them happy - and be a bit less confrontational, unless posting here really is their favourite pastim ;)
Just go and see your friends

bengley

Established Member
We're being told not to.
I'm aware. I'm being told not to do lots of things, as are millions of others like me.

I'm not taking any notice of it anymore. Common sense is required. How long are you going to allow the government to tell you what to do like this?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm aware. I'm being told not to do lots of things, as are millions of others like me.

I'm not taking any notice of it anymore. Common sense is required. How long are you going to allow the government to tell you what to do like this?

I'll ignore Government guidance if my own risk assessment justifies doing so but I won't break the law, which is what I'd have to do to visit the people I'd most like to.

nedchester

Established Member
I'll ignore Government guidance if my own risk assessment justifies doing so but I won't break the law, which is what I'd have to do to visit the people I'd most like to.

I am starting to find it disturbing that a Government can restrict who you can meet, where you can go etc.if someone had told you this 10 months ago they would have thought you were mad.

I think we are starting to see a kickback, not just in the U.K. to restrictions that are in place. I’m not saying it’s right but everyone has their breaking point.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I am starting to find it disturbing that a Government can restrict who you can meet, where you can go etc.if someone had told you this 10 months ago they would have thought you were mad.

I think we are starting to see a kickback, not just in the U.K. to restrictions that are in place. I’m not saying it’s right but everyone has their breaking point.
But what the Governments are doing isn't right, either.

Dai Corner

Established Member
TrawsCymru have Tweeted that Wrexham Bus Station concourse is closed for the duration of the firebreak. I'm not familiar with this facility. Can any of our north Wales correspondents suggest why this might be?

TrawsCymru said:
Wrexham bus station concourse is closed during the firebreak lockdown period in Wales. Stand 1 and the retail area will be open each day and the concourse will reopen from Monday 9th November 2020

Curious to find out if any checks are being made on services that go into/out of Wales in view of current regulations around Covid-19

Djgr

Established Member
At Hawarden Bridge. Germ police stopping the smuggling of duvets.

Last edited:

SeanG

What would happen with a service such as the Chester - Wrexham - Shrewsbury. You could be legitimately be travelling Chester - Shrewsbury but through Wales

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Considering that the Welsh laws allow travel though the country if there is no other alternative I fail to see why any checks are considered necessary.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not specifically related, but there's no intention to change any GWR South Wales services. BTP aren't boarding at the last/first station by the border. There are also engineering works this week.

DenmarkRail

What would happen with a service such as the Chester - Wrexham - Shrewsbury. You could be legitimately be travelling Chester - Shrewsbury but through Wales

Can't vouch for all of Wales, but here in South Wales, most of it seems to be for show. I've seen virtually no enforcement at the stations (which is a good thing in my view).

Where I usually live (In the Midlands, but close to many TfW stations), there has also been very little enforcement about entering Wales.

On the note of cars being monitored, I heard there were a few checks in the early part of the fire break, but since then there has been very little, other than perhaps the odd stop. As with the first lockdown, I suppose.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
What will be happening with Knighton? Station in England, village in Wales.

Not a lot - the Central or Heart of Wales line is entirely shut at the moment as a result of washouts on the northern section , and the continuing disruption of the Llangenneth derailment.

thenorthern

Established Member
North Wales British Transport Police was doing checks and they boasted about it on Twitter.

Attachments

• North Wales.jpg
    North Wales.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 104

nedchester

Established Member
North Wales British Transport Police was doing checks and they boasted about it on Twitter.
They had to subsequently delete that tweet after complaints.

You do not have to answer the police explaining your travel and the right to remain silent also shouldnot presume guilt.

Attachments

• 605C7725-BB7F-430A-9479-88A3F6EA062E.jpeg
    605C7725-BB7F-430A-9479-88A3F6EA062E.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 57

Bantamzen

Established Member
They had to subsequently delete that tweet after complaints.

You do not have to answer the police explaining your travel and the right to remain silent also shouldnot presume guilt.

That explains why I couldn't find the Tweet just now. And its good that its been removed because it basically resembled something out of a Soviet era country. Incredible that for decades we supported those fighting against those kind of oppressions, but now are starting to try to use them to appear #covidsafe.

Mintona

Established Member
I’ve been told by people who live near me that the police have been setting up roadblocks on the M48 bridge, the A4136 at Staunton and the A48 at Sedbury, although not 24/7. A lot of people from my area drive to Bristol via these routes, and it’s all really rather frustrating.

Certainly somebody was turned around in Chepstow yesterday after their journey was deemed non essential, despite the fact they were travelling from England to England.

This is a disturbing sign of what we are moving into - if I were ever to travel to Wales again (unlikely given the state the whole country will be in after all this nonsense) I would fully expect a tap on the shoulder and someone asking me for 'your papers please'.

nedchester

Established Member
I’ve been told by people who live near me that the police have been setting up roadblocks on the M48 bridge, the A4136 at Staunton and the A48 at Sedbury, although not 24/7. A lot of people from my area drive to Bristol via these routes, and it’s all really rather frustrating.

Certainly somebody was turned around in Chepstow yesterday after their journey was deemed non essential, despite the fact they were travelling from England to England.

The police are breaking the law on the last point because England to England travel is allowed and is stated on the Wales Gov website.

But anyone who thinks any of this is acceptable in a democratic society needs to have a long hard think, it’s reminiscent of the Stasi in East Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.