• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Bank Quay - Llandudno Junction via Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
It is remarkable that ATOC manages to get consent from the DfT, which must also consult Transport Focus before making its decision, in such a short timeframe.

That must be why they made the change this Friday rather than last Friday. ;)

my mouth is well and truly shut from this moment forward regarding any more little "finds"

At the least, try to whisper your finds rather than shout about them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

The route has now been removed for tickets between Warrington and stations between Chester and Holyhead, though.

So they've stopped allowing what was a useful alternative route to stop a few people saving a couple of pounds.

Surely instead of removing the route it would be more sensible to have tickets routed via Crewe and not via Crewe. Then anyone who misses the hourly direct train can go via Crewe for a small excess fare.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So they've stopped allowing what was a useful alternative route to stop a few people saving a couple of pounds.

Surely instead of removing the route it would be more sensible to have tickets routed via Crewe and not via Crewe. Then anyone who misses the hourly direct train can go via Crewe for a small excess fare.
Yeah but that takes longer and can normally only be implemented 3 times a year or so. Much easier to just get rid of the route :roll:

kieron

Established Member

The hourly indirect train takes nearly an hour longer between Warrington and Chester, so you're looking at a pretty small market. Warrington-Frodsham-Chester is largely hourly at the moment, but frequency is supposed to increase to 2 trains an hour at the end of next year. No idea how well the extra trains would connect with the Holyhead trains, of course.

That said, I have gone that way before now following a delay. I was on a longer distance ticket, though, and it saved me a change of trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I agree. The fix to this kind of thing should be a routed fare.

Established Member
I travelled from Warrington to Chester via Crewe earlier this year. I missed the direct train and it was better than waiting an hour!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

miami

Established Member
I've read this entire thread, poured over the Conditions of Travel, and I'm still very confused:

so all non advance trips to Crewe will now be booked to Warrington and just get off at Crewe

I don't understand, I really don't. Why would anyone want to go the Crewe?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I've read this entire thread, poured over the Conditions of Travel, and I'm still very confused:

I don't understand, I really don't. Why would anyone want to go the Crewe?

This weekend there is rail replacement buses between Warrington and Chester.
So I asked if I could go via Crewe so I could avoid the RRB and use trains.

I was informed it was indeed a valid route. I then realised a return to Warrington from LLJ was around £24.00 a return from LLJ to Crewe £30.00
so.....I could, if I had kept my mouth shut, bought a return to Warrington but used it to get to Crewe saving myself £6.00 each time.

The spies were on to me though and soon banned this, so now I cant go to Crewe on a Warrington ticket and save myself £6.00 Also via Crewe was a handy route if you missed the train home from Warrington. Not able to do that now either.

So lesson learnt, any little finds like this. Don't post it HERE!!! :cry:

gray1404

Established Member
Exactly. That's what most of us do who find things like this. We keep quiet about it so as not to spoil it. I don't know why you bothered to make it public on there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.