• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Watch out on ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavelex

Hi all,

I'd like to warn anyone buying stock on ebay to watch out for an individual going by the name "littlemanaidan".

I won two items off him fair and square on the 28th June '11, have paid and have STILL not received my items (as of 19th September '11).

This user begins all nice, and then just gets weird.

After winning two items, a class 121 and a body shell, I sent a message asking for combined postage. Got a reply almost straight away saying "yes no problems kind regards adrian". Short and to the point.

So I started the waiting game... I was waiting for him to send me a revised PayPal invoice, reflecting the combined postage he had just agreed to. Did I get one? No, instead two days later I got a message saying hi are you still wanting this item as i havent recieved payment if not ill offer it to next highest bidder kind regards adrian.

After sending a message back, I got a message asking me to pay by bank transfer. just pay what the two items went for and £3.00 on top if more ill put it to easiest way i dont have a paypal account as it keeps sending funds into a holding account so would prefer it in my bank account items are ready to post kind regards adrian. Funds going into a holding account is annoying for everyone, so I promptly bank transferred him the money (After two more messages trying to get the details for the transfer...) on 2nd July '11. In his message with the account details he said "pls advise when done i will post imediately then if you could message me when u recieve would be great".

Having sent him my address for the second time, and waited two days I sent him a message asking if he had posted them, I received a message saying "yea my dad posted items will ask when you should get them be in touch kind regards adrian".

Think that's funny? It's only just beginning. On the 5th I got a message saying "please send name and address to this email so can post it to you thanks ben not getting name and addresses" and "hi sorry checkd pay pal no monies there please advise if returned please send cheque and name and address to post thanks ben" - So now our lovely seller can't remember his own name either? No. Apparently Adrian is Ben's son. I then got asked for my address again.

Ebay customer support said they were not interested as the item was not paid through PayPal, even though they let people list bank transfer as a payment option. Fair enough I don't get the money protected, but surely when the seller ignored all 4 emails from Ebay they could have suspended his account...

On the 31st July I sent a message telling him I want my items or I will go to the police. I got a reply from "Ben" telling me it was not him who took my money (No, it was his son, you know, Adrian?) and asked me for my address again. Gave me a dodgy phone number and asked me how I paid, and said he would post me a cheque for a refund... and asked for my address yet again.

The seller has ignored me since then... Instead of wasting my time at the police station, I thought I'd "kick him where it hurts" so to speak... Watch out!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gavelex

Ralph,

I have considered it already - but for 30 quid, is it really worth it for the time and effort it takes?

I've used the Small Claims Court before, but that was for over a grand so it was slightly different...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Agree. OP - Have you got a name and address?

Nope - have bank details and a phone number that doesn't seem to work though.

And the ebay profile URL obviously.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It depends really. I would send a letter (do you have an address for the seller?), saying that if you do not receive the goods within one month of the post date of the letter (recorded delivery) then you will refer the matter to the small claims court. That would have two effects. Firstly, it would scare the defendant into sending the stuff if he is so young, and if not, it's a great piece of evidence for the case as it shows you tried to keep the matter out of court.

(IANAL)

Gavelex

Ralph,

I've done a similar thing via ebay messages - unfortunately I don't have his address.

31st July.
Hi,

Just to let you know that I will be passing on your details to the police tomorrow morning for fraud concerning the selling of both this item and the Chiltern body shell.

I don't know why you have stopped talking to me, taken my money and not sent me the items, but if I get my money back by bank transfer by the end of today I will drop the matter. alternatively, if you assure me you will post the items then I will want a tracking number by tomorrow afternoon.

Kind regards,

James
07XXXXXXXXX

Things like this are never nice to happen. The best bet is to always be wary when buying on Ebay when a seller asks you to complete the transaction outside of Ebay / and, or Paypal. If Paypal is used, you can charge back the transaction.

Darandio

Established Member
Looking at his profile, he has outstanding feedback as well.

Just goes to show you cannot be too careful.

Squaddie

It's not going to help you in this case, but you should never pay for anything you buy on eBay by bank transfer.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to write this one off to experience.

HST Power

Established Member
Gavelex

Unfortunately, the detailed post I made outlining what to do in such cases of fraud and money loss (I know a lot about these things) was deleted.

Now I don't really see how my post could've been categorised as 'trolling', but nonetheless, I would be more than happy to help you out via PM and I wish you all the best for sorting this mess out.

deltic1989

Established Member
I've had a few similar issues, I understand that its frustrating. As others have said the small claims court would would be the best way to go,(The police won't give a monkeys). It may be a mistake, it may be that the lad has had a lot going on, or it may be that he's a rouge. eBay is an exellent place to buy good stuff at reasonable prices, but you have to beware, you will come across some dodgy traders on there but they are a minority. As for eBay customer services you might as well go and talk to a brick wall for all the joy you will get from that bunch of clowns. Unfortunately with sites like ebay its inevitable you will get stung at some point though its no less frustrating when it happens. Hope you get it sorted. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.