• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waverley route will re-open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew

The news that the ScotRail is now First ScotRail appears not to have reached them either (look down the RHS).

But good news on the approval.

richa2002

Established Member
It's always Scotland who seem to be re-opening routes, why is England so rubbish with their railways ?

Nick

Excellent news. Oh and a line in England has recently been approved to reopen, an extension on the former GCML from Aylesbury (Town) to Aylesbury Parkway was given permission a few weeks ago.

richa2002

Established Member
I agree with you Royalscot about Oxford - Bletchley, the Woodhead etc.

Chris

Richard Armstrong said:
It's always Scotland who seem to be re-opening routes, why is England so rubbish with their railways ?

Lots of open space and too many lines closed without much thought during Beeching's reforms. I would say:scratch:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chris said:
Lots of open space and too many lines closed without much thought during Beeching's reforms. I would say:scratch:
I think it's more a case of the Scottish Executive being forward-thinking, realising rail is the answer rather than roads.

If only the same line of thinking applied here...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's more of the case that too much funding is going to Scotland, from England. "Scottish" landmarks like the Forth Bridge were even built with English funding.
Personally I just want to see Scotland made independant, and when the North Sea oil runs out, and when the country which has the fastest declining population in Europe runs out of money, will just sit back and laugh.

The Scottish Exec claims a huge subsidy from England, the Transport Secretary (who is a Scottish MP) has no control over Scottish transport.

Chris

A bit too much xenophobia on this site at the moment, this wouldn't be due to a certain football tournament would it? There seems to be much inward thinking.:dontknow:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It still might not happen

"Tavish Scott, the transport minister, said the Scottish Executive
supported the entire line and would fund the lion's share of the cost,
subject to a "robust" business case."

So someone else is still going to need to come up with the remainder, plus an allowance for going over budget.

Holyrood Elections coming up soon, all they've done is passed the bill, and not providing enough finances, telling the electorate that they support a new line, but with the way of backing out later if nobody can be found to support it, and not spending a penny.

SCOTLAND IS THE BEST small COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, according to the signs at Network Rail stations in scotland. The approvement of the Borders Rail link as well as the Alloa line may promt fsr/transport scotland to place a new order of trains.

Andrew

And by then any new trains will hopefully have been delievered and have started to settle down in service. Though you can't count on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.